No announcement yet.

Paton’s Trade for Wilson the Worst in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hershel Walker trade was the best in NFL history for the Cowboys. They took those draft picks and did something generational with them. Walker was very good for the Vikings, but do you call that the worst trade ever? That's hard to argue, as who knows what they would have done with those draft picks. They at least got good play out of Walker, though not great.

With the Broncos, you have a team who gave up productive players like Shelby Harris and Noah Fant (who is playing decently), along with a QB in Drew Lock who arguably played better than has Russel Wilson. Now the Broncos are broke when Russ' salary cap hit comes in, have no draft picks, and who now have massive holes in the lineup, while Wilson is stinking the place up. Sorry, from what we have seen so far, both Bridgewater and Lock were playing better than Wilson.

I would call the Walker trade the best trade ever for the Cowboys, but the Wilson trade was far worse for the Broncos than what you can say for the Vikings barring a massive Russell Wilson turnaround. I guess you could say the Walker trade was the best in history, and the Wilson trade was the worst.

Comment

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...16661_38245950

Check this article out.....and we all wanted to crucify Paton for making the extension with out seeing Russ play.....I know we all supported bringing him in......we just thought that we should see him perform before paying him. Apparently, so did George. Very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
        https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...16661_38245950

Check this article out.....and we all wanted to crucify Paton for making the extension with out seeing Russ play.....I know we all supported bringing him in......we just thought that we should see him perform before paying him. Apparently, so did George. Very interesting.
        Paton is absolutely free and clear to return next season. Can't blame him for doing what the bosses wanted him to do.

This article shows that some people who think they know how the NFL works don't really know. An extension was not part of the trade. The Broncos could have and should have waited to see what exactly it is that they bought.
        You're Wrong!
        Recognize That You're Wrong!
        Move On

Comment

Albright, like most *journalists* is being used as a tool for the owners and Paton. The trade and extension is a disaster. They’re trying to take heat off Paton.

If true, at best it means Paton went along as a feckless yes man without a persuasive message to ownership to wait a year.

Comment

Originally posted by stat View Post
            Albright, like most *journalists* is being used as a tool for the owners and Paton. The trade and extension is a disaster. They’re trying to take heat off Paton.

If true, at best it means Paton went along as a feckless yes man without a persuasive message to ownership to wait a year.
            Heat from the fans is irrelevant as the "heat" dissipates rapidly when things change for the better.

Why would the owners have a vested interest in taking the heat off of Paton, when they aren't the ones that hired him?
            You're Wrong!
            Move On

Comment

Yea I think Ben is working as damage control agent for Paton. Yea right, brand new NFL owners are going to tell the so called football genious to spend 245 B $ and Paton just had to listen to his bosses. This story smells like BS.

IF not our new owners are just as incompetent as paton, and were even more doomed, but I cant believe this

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Heat from the fans is irrelevant as the "heat" dissipates rapidly when things change for the better.

Why would the owners have a vested interest in taking the heat off of Paton, when they aren't the ones that hired him?
                Point to where fans were mentioned in my post.

Comment

Point to where fans were mentioned in my post.
                  What other heat would there be?

It's obviously not coming from ownership. Ownership is the only source of heat that Paton has to truly care about.
                  You're Wrong!
                  Move On

Comment

Paton is absolutely free and clear to return next season. Can't blame him for doing what the bosses wanted him to do.

This article shows that some people who think they know how the NFL works don't really know. An extension was not part of the trade. The Broncos could have and should have waited to see what exactly it is that they bought.

Paton hired Hackett and traded for Wilson. Ellis and Elway may have had input, but the decisions belong to Paton. He can be faulted for Hackett, especially if the intent was to acquire Rodgers. He can't be faulted for trading for Wilson. Who wouldn't want Wilson over Drew Lock? He can, however, be faulted for signing Wilson to an extension before seeing what a Wilson offense looks like.
                    Does Paton make the decisions or not? It depends on what guys like Albright tell you to think.

Comment

The extension is the only thing that is in question.

The trade, the roster construction, the hiring of Hackett....that all preceeded the new owners. That was Paton's doing.

I was for the trade. We have been in QB purgatory since Super Bowl 50. I don't fault Paton for trying to solve that problem.

My issues with Paton stem from his approach of how he built this roster, the questionable free agent signings, draft decisions and head coaching evaluation.

And as much as I think Hackett is not a good head coach, part of me questions Paton getting another chance. That will be 3 different coaches in his 3 years here.

He didn't hire Fangio, but he chose to keep him and pretty much allow Vic to waste a year with Bridgewater at QB. If Vic came to me and said his answer to get back on the winning track was Teddy, I would have said "you're kidding, right?". And I would have just cut the cord then. 2021 was literally a known throwaway season we all had to put up with for no logical reason. That's on Paton.

Hackett was his choice. Whether it was to ensure a deal to get Rodgers, we may not know. But we do know that Hackett was not a very accomplished coach who benefitted from being an OC on a team that already had an established HOF QB.

We all know the roster decisions over the last 2 years that have been questionable, so I won't dive into that too much, but those choices have resulted in consequences that the Broncos are paying for.

Paton may be safe, but, as much as I want Hackett gone, I don't know if I want him hiring another coach. Because, if the Broncos suck again, the owners will likely clean house, meaning another GM, and probably our fourth head coach in four years.

I say if Paton stays, Hackett has to stay and Paton's future here rides (yes, a let's ride reference intended) with Hackett and Russ. If it works out, great. If not, Paton and Hackett go, we deal with Russ in the interim and a new GM and HC come in with a fresh start.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        The Walker trade turned Dallas' fortunes all around. It is still 1st on my list because its impact on one team was especially significant.

The Ricky Williams trade, in the draft, was also significant. That was a case of arrogance, as Ditka made a monumental joke out of draft trades. I like Williams, and he was very good, but far too much weight on one kid's shoulders.

The Wilson trade has years to understand. Does he get better or not? Does Seattle turn their picks into key players? As of today, this looks like a real bust for The Broncos, but it could improve.
                        They turned the 1st rd pick into a probowl caliber LT in Charles Cross.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
                          The extension is the only thing that is in question.

The trade, the roster construction, the hiring of Hackett....that all preceeded the new owners. That was Paton's doing.

I was for the trade. We have been in QB purgatory since Super Bowl 50. I don't fault Paton for trying to solve that problem.

My issues with Paton stem from his approach of how he built this roster, the questionable free agent signings, draft decisions and head coaching evaluation.

And as much as I think Hackett is not a good head coach, part of me questions Paton getting another chance. That will be 3 different coaches in his 3 years here.

He didn't hire Fangio, but he chose to keep him and pretty much allow Vic to waste a year with Bridgewater at QB. If Vic came to me and said his answer to get back on the winning track was Teddy, I would have said "you're kidding, right?". And I would have just cut the cord then. 2021 was literally a known throwaway season we all had to put up with for no logical reason. That's on Paton.

Hackett was his choice. Whether it was to ensure a deal to get Rodgers, we may not know. But we do know that Hackett was not a very accomplished coach who benefitted from being an OC on a team that already had an established HOF QB.

We all know the roster decisions over the last 2 years that have been questionable, so I won't dive into that too much, but those choices have resulted in consequences that the Broncos are paying for.

Paton may be safe, but, as much as I want Hackett gone, I don't know if I want him hiring another coach. Because, if the Broncos suck again, the owners will likely clean house, meaning another GM, and probably our fourth head coach in four years.

I say if Paton stays, Hackett has to stay and Paton's future here rides (yes, a let's ride reference intended) with Hackett and Russ. If it works out, great. If not, Paton and Hackett go, we deal with Russ in the interim and a new GM and HC come in with a fresh start.
                          Paton is one of the worst GM's. Most of his decisions are Bad. Right from hiring Hackett, signing injury prone players and 240+ million guarantee to Russ.

I don't trust Paton in hiring a new coach. Hoping that Paton and Hackett are fired. Can't even think of Hackett getting one more season. It's a slap to the fan base.

Comment

Not convinced Paton’s job is safe despite some journos reporting he is. Another journo reported several league executives believe there’s good probability he’ll be fired. They say Paton is respected around the league. It’s a club so of course people will say nice things. The test is whether he would be hired as a GM if he loses his job. Doubt any team would hire him as a GM, at least not immediately. Paton turned the Broncos into the laughingstock of the league.

Comment

Does Paton make the decisions or not? It depends on what guys like Albright tell you to think.

This is ridiculous. Albright’s article is new information. If the owners told Paton to extend Wilson, he had to do it. You try not doing what your boss tells you to do. See how that goes for you. Paton can’t be blamed, if he was just doing what he was told, unless you find a law that says the owners aren’t allowed to tell him to extend Wilson.
                              You're Wrong!
                              Move On

Comment

This is ridiculous. Albright’s article is new information. If the owners told Paton to extend Wilson, he had to do it. You try not doing what your boss tells you to do. See how that goes for you. Paton can’t be blamed, if he was just doing what he was told, unless you find a law that says the owners aren’t allowed to tell him to extend Wilson.
                                Here’s a fan who takes *new information* as fact from Albright, a so called journo who said 99% of people who claim they were hacked on Twitter for getting caught lying, claimed his account was hacked after he was caught lying.

Comment

Working...
                                X