Broncos Country can still hold out hope for Russell Wilson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Country can still hold out hope for Russell Wilson

There are reasons why Denver's offense has derailed and their quarterback's play has gotten so bad, and it's not all about No. 3's decline
    sigpic

I mean Evans has some valid points..... There are some really good vet QB's looking really shot down from their perches this season.

Injuries can keep quality teams from reaching the playoffs, but I will not accept that offensively we have played to our potential. Even with all of the injuries. Potential of course means jack ding dong if it is not applied and achieved. We have to be healthier on both sides of the ball next year to achieve anything meaningful.

I can't see a scenario where Wilson won't be here next year. So like Evans said do we really have a choice but hope maybe health and humility improve us next year?

Comment

We will see what happens? Hopefully we can draft a couple Young quarterbacks in the next couple years, that will take over for RW eventually.

​​​​​​We have an experienced veteran quarterback that could (possibly) get better, if he had a better offensive line and better coaching.
      (Possibly)

​​​​​​

Comment

That is the question we are all asking ourselves. I hope that Wilson can return to something close to what he once was. I liked what I saw in that first game, even though they only scored 16 points. But nothing about Wilson's performance in that game gave me any concerns.

If his subsequent play is a result of injuries, both to himself and other players, bad coaching and a loss of confidence, I think Wilson is salvageable. A lot of it will depend on his willingness to work and be coached. After a season like this, Wilson will have a lot to prove and I hope that motivates him to get back into shape and want to play in the style that made him successful in the first place.

Having the off season to reflect may convince him that a return to his old way of playing is the way to success, and he will stop trying to be a high-volume pocket passer. If he can be 90 percent of what he was in Seattle, the trade will not have been a disaster. We can win with that.

He needs to have some self-awareness for all of this to work. He'll have to be humble--not just pretend humble, but actually humble, and maybe even have some sense of humor about the whole thing. He should use "Keep me out of the kitchen" as his new slogan. Or "Broncos country, let's ride, but don't let me drive."

Comment

Wilson may be able to rebuild his confidence with new coaching and healthy teammates, but he still suffers from decline due to Father Time.

JMO but as he declines physically and continues to adapt to being a new type of QB to sustain his career, he will never be the QB we have hoped for. Absolutely can and will be better (how could he not after this seasons bottoming out!) but he will always be mediocre trying to be something he is not.

His success and career has been as a “mobile QB”. He has never been and I suspect never will be a Brees or Brady. Their success and careers were consistent, not based on re-inventing themselves.

For the sake of the Broncos, I hope he finds it. Just feel he will never impact as expected or being paid to be.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
            Wilson may be able to rebuild his confidence with new coaching and healthy teammates, but he still suffers from decline due to Father Time.

JMO but as he declines physically and continues to adapt to being a new type of QB to sustain his career, he will never be the QB we have hoped for. Absolutely can and will be better (how could he not after this seasons bottoming out!) but he will always be mediocre trying to be something he is not.

His success and career has been as a “mobile QB”. He has never been and I suspect never will be a Brees or Brady. Their success and careers were consistent, not based on re-inventing themselves.

For the sake of the Broncos, I hope he finds it. Just feel he will never impact as expected or being paid to be.
            Has he declined physically? I see a guy who can still throw a deep ball. What I don't see are plays being called with regards to deep balls. Is he as fast as he used to be? No, he's not but that doesn't mean he still can't scramble. What I don't see are play calls that get him on the move. I'm not throwing in the towel with Russ. I still believe he can be solid but he needs the weapons to do so. That starts with a healthy and improved offensive line.

Comment

I watched a Robert Smith breakdown of the Panthers game last night, and he said we do have more key players on IR than any other team. I don't know if it's true, but it does sync up with what Schlereth is talking about in the article. I don't think that can fully explain how lost Wilson looks at times, but it could be a major factor.

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

Has he declined physically? I see a guy who can still throw a deep ball. What I don't see are plays being called with regards to deep balls. Is he as fast as he used to be? No, he's not but that doesn't mean he still can't scramble. What I don't see are play calls that get him on the move. I'm not throwing in the towel with Russ. I still believe he can be solid but he needs the weapons to do so. That starts with a healthy and improved offensive line.
                Even if the physical decline is marginal as you suggest, doesn’t that directly affect his ability to scramble or make plays with his legs? Or overcome or recover from those little bumps and bruises to get by taking hits or straining something? Older players are more susceptible and feel the effects. Wilson can not continue to be the same All-Pro Wilson he has been so successful being.

My comments are more about the decision making, the comfort level as he re-invents himself. Even if you move the pocket or improve the Oline, he is still not able to “make the plays” as a younger Wilson.

I hope you are correct that he can still be “Russ” if given the chance. But he was brought in to make those plays on 3rd downs to keep the chains moving and in the Red Zone. As we have seen, way too infrequently he simply doesn’t. When he does it will be celebrated. Until he does I remain skeptical.

Comment

Most of Wilson's best plays this year have been on the move/scrambling. I get that he's probably lost a step, but he's still plenty athletic and he's still at his best when he's moving. People are acting like he's all super fat and can't move anymore, but that narrative is exaggerated IMO. On the flip side, his pocket passing has been the biggest issue this year. Bottom line, he's had a really bad season and there are a myriad of reasons playing into it. I still think he can be salvaged, but as a lot of people are saying, it will take the right coaching staff.

Comment

It is very difficult to say given all the issues this team has dealt with and inflicted upon itself whether Wilson is truly washed up or if he's just going through the motions with the rest of the team. What gets neglected in this conversation is that Wilson has missed only 4 games in 10 seasons, so it's not like there's an injury to pinpoint that may explain this drastic statistical decline. And last year he had his 4th highest rated season statistically of his career.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

A deep/vertical passing attack is the natural complement to a committed, series-based rushing attack, and is set up by play action. Hackett has demonstrated no knowledge of this, much less how to cultivate it.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                        It is very difficult to say given all the issues this team has dealt with and inflicted upon itself whether Wilson is truly washed up or if he's just going through the motions with the rest of the team. What gets neglected in this conversation is that Wilson has missed only 4 games in 10 seasons, so it's not like there's an injury to pinpoint that may explain this drastic statistical decline. And last year he had his 4th highest rated season statistically of his career.
                        Russell can't coach himself and shouldn't be allowed to try. He needs a smart, experienced guy, steeped in football history, to design a system in which Russell's skill set can succeed.

Comment

And just to ring the bell one more time; the o-line needs to be seriously addressed. We have a couple decent guys, but we need way better depth and a couple more legit starters - especially at RT, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Russell can't coach himself and shouldn't be allowed to try. He needs a smart, experienced guy, steeped in football history, to design a system in which Russell's skill set can succeed.

Can you give a couple of examples of available HCs that fit this description.

Not trying to drag you into an argument contradicting your suggestions. Genuinely interested.

I personally have opined that Wilson is trying to extend his career by re-inventing his “skill set”. Basically minimizing what has made him so successful for a decade. Any offense tailored to the old Russ is doomed to fail. Any offense tailored to the new Russ is questionable due to him feeling out of his comfort zone using the skills that made him great.

JMO. Curious to see any suggestions of a HC/ OC capable of maximizing the skill set

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Can you give a couple of examples of available HCs that fit this description.

Not trying to drag you into an argument contradicting your suggestions. Genuinely interested.

I personally have opined that Wilson is trying to extend his career by re-inventing his “skill set”. Basically minimizing what has made him so successful for a decade. Any offense tailored to the old Russ is doomed to fail. Any offense tailored to the new Russ is questionable due to him feeling out of his comfort zone using the skills that made him great.

JMO. Curious to see any suggestions of a HC/ OC capable of maximizing the skill set

Greg Roman and Mike Munchak come to mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X