Broncos Country can still hold out hope for Russell Wilson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

Has he declined physically? I see a guy who can still throw a deep ball. What I don't see are plays being called with regards to deep balls. Is he as fast as he used to be? No, he's not but that doesn't mean he still can't scramble. What I don't see are play calls that get him on the move. I'm not throwing in the towel with Russ. I still believe he can be solid but he needs the weapons to do so. That starts with a healthy and improved offensive line.
    I see a decline in his vision of the field, accuracy, and processing
    My boy JUSTIN FIELDS whats up man..."BACK THEN THEY DIDN'TWANT YOU, NOW YOU HOT THEY ALL ON YA." I may know just a "lil" about qbs....but not too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

I see a decline in his vision of the field, accuracy, and processing
      Accuracy part I think can be contributed to not enough time spent with the WRs. Knowing when they break on a route or how deep they push a route etc. We saw that with Jeudy early in the season. He clearly has a mental block, he's not processing like you say.... I agree with that.

Regardless, I'm not ready to throw in the towel. I still think he can be good for Denver. I don't know who the "right" coach is but better coaching, a healthy Oline and more time spent with his WRs will help

Comment

Two things I think matter.

Not going to say the source of this...maybe some remember from one of our games kudos if you do...but a HC taught a QB that big plays down the field should not be forced. An offense should be running the quick efficient plays and the big plays will come within the design of the coaches and failure of the defense because of the continued success of the offense to move the chains. Right now the coaching and the QB are trying to force big plays when we do not have the pass pro to execute these plays. Not even when players were more healthy did we have the talent to execute this offense imo. Maybe it would have looked better without all the drops early season but we never had the talent to execute the offense the coaches are trying to run.

I think RW is running the offense the coaches are asking him to run. Who knows how much of this failure is on RW inability to run these offense and the coaches asking him to do things he is not good at. Based on other things I have seen people say that I trust this offensive coaching is horrible. Epic bad.

There is a legit chance RW can be a Super Bowl winning Qb again with the right coaching. Shoot look at this defense. If we were closer to the top of the bottom 10 instead of far down at the last some say we would be in playoff spot right now. I am not sure how true this is but some claim it but I think teams are playing to our bad offense. It would not be hard to improve on this offensive coaching we just do not have the decision makers in house right now to do it.
        Last edited by Hadez; 12-03-2022, 10:16 AM.
        Skill + Effort = Talent. Talent + Effort = Achievement. A. Duckworth - Grit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
          Two things I think matter.

Not going to say the source of this...maybe some remember from one of our games kudos if you do...but a HC taught a QB that big plays down the field should not be forced. An offense should be running the quick efficient plays and the big plays will come within the design of the coaches and failure of the defense because of the continued success of the offense to move the chains. Right now the coaching and the QB are trying to force big plays when we do not have the pass pro to execute these plays. Not even when players were more healthy did we have the talent to execute this offense imo. Maybe it would have looked better without all the drops early season but we never had the talent to execute the offense the coaches are trying to run.

I think RW is running the offense the coaches are asking him to run. Who knows how much of this failure is on RW inability to run these offense and the coaches asking him to do things he is not good at. Based on other things I have seen people say that I trust this offensive coaching is horrible. Epic bad.

There is a legit chance RW can be a Super Bowl winning Qb again with the right coaching. Shoot look at this defense. If we were closer to the top of the bottom 10 instead of far down at the last some say we would be in playoff spot right now. I am not sure how true this is but some claim it but I think teams are playing to our bad offense. It would not be hard to improve on this offensive coaching we just do not have the decision makers in house right now to do it.
          Pro-football-reference.com lists Denver's pass attempts at 382 and rushing attempts at 283, so far this season. However, as per your suggested adjustments, if I recall correctly, sacks and QB rushing attempts should be added to the pass attempts and QB rush attempts should be deducted from rushing attempts. That is because a sack was a called pass and almost all QB rushing attempts (except for just a handful or less) were also called as passes. There are 36 sacks and 38 QB rushing attempts, so far, this season. The adjustment to produce called passes and runs is 456 passes and 245 runs.

So, thus far, Hackett/Kubiak have called passes 65% of the plays and runs 35%. That is the heart of Denver's offensive problem and the cause of Russell Wilson's decline in quality of play this season. Pass heavy has not worked for Denver because they try deep passes with no set up, as you stated. The natural complement to a deep passing attack is a commitment to a balanced offense in which rushing attempts are minimum 45% of the play calls; strive for 50% balance. During the Spring/Summer, Hackett stated his base rushing attack would be Wide Zone with PAP off of Boot similar to Mike Shanhan/Alex Gibbs/Gary Kubiak/Jake Plummer O of early 2000s. Have watched every game this year, and do not recall seeing it.

Prior to last Sunday, the broadcasters said Denver hadn't had a run over 20 yards, so far this season. Carolina had just taken a 10-3 lead at 4:42 in the 2nd qtr. when Denver lined up in the I formation and Latavious Murray ripped a 52 yard run from the -25 to the +23. Denver immediately lined up in shotgun and Wilson threw an incomplete pass. On the next play from shotgun, Wilson turned the ball over. Those three plays show that Hackett has no clue and Kubiak is limited about what he can/is allowed to do.

IMO Wilson needs to play in a balanced offense committed to running the ball using both zone steps and angle blocking by the O-Line. If half the play calls are run and all of the passes are play action, every play looks like run to the D. That alone will solve much of the pass protection issues. In that kind of O, Russell should Boot away from every meshpoint whether he has the ball or not, so it always looks the same to the D front.

This style of offense should be run mostly from 21 personnel formations (at least half the plays, preferably way more), so in addition to having a Fullback (20 back) on the roster, the PS needs to carry at least one more (preferably two) for depth. For tomorrow's game, Denver will be without Andrew Beck, who is out, so Denver won't be able to line up in the I, unless they rep someone else at 20 back. Suppose they might try a TE or a RB at Fullback, but for sheer blocking power, they could have anticipated this and repped Netane Muti at 20, but that kind of thinking is probably alien to Hackett's "football philosophy".
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Pro-football-reference.com lists Denver's pass attempts at 382 and rushing attempts at 283, so far this season. However, as per your suggested adjustments, if I recall correctly, sacks and QB rushing attempts should be added to the pass attempts and QB rush attempts should be deducted from rushing attempts. That is because a sack was a called pass and almost all QB rushing attempts (except for just a handful or less) were also called as passes. There are 36 sacks and 38 QB rushing attempts, so far, this season. The adjustment to produce called passes and runs is 456 passes and 245 runs.

So, thus far, Hackett/Kubiak have called passes 65% of the plays and runs 35%. That is the heart of Denver's offensive problem and the cause of Russell Wilson's decline in quality of play this season. Pass heavy has not worked for Denver because they try deep passes with no set up, as you stated. The natural complement to a deep passing attack is a commitment to a balanced offense in which rushing attempts are minimum 45% of the play calls; strive for 50% balance. During the Spring/Summer, Hackett stated his base rushing attack would be Wide Zone with PAP off of Boot similar to Mike Shanhan/Alex Gibbs/Gary Kubiak/Jake Plummer O of early 2000s. Have watched every game this year, and do not recall seeing it.

Prior to last Sunday, the broadcasters said Denver hadn't had a run over 20 yards, so far this season. Carolina had just taken a 10-3 lead at 4:42 in the 2nd qtr. when Denver lined up in the I formation and Latavious Murray ripped a 52 yard run from the -25 to the +23. Denver immediately lined up in shotgun and Wilson threw an incomplete pass. On the next play from shotgun, Wilson turned the ball over. Those three plays show that Hackett has no clue and Kubiak is limited about what he can/is allowed to do.

IMO Wilson needs to play in a balanced offense committed to running the ball using both zone steps and angle blocking by the O-Line. If half the play calls are run and all of the passes are play action, every play looks like run to the D. That alone will solve much of the pass protection issues. In that kind of O, Russell should Boot away from every meshpoint whether he has the ball or not, so it always looks the same to the D front.

This style of offense should be run mostly from 21 personnel formations (at least half the plays, preferably way more), so in addition to having a Fullback (20 back) on the roster, the PS needs to carry at least one more (preferably two) for depth. For tomorrow's game, Denver will be without Andrew Beck, who is out, so Denver won't be able to line up in the I, unless they rep someone else at 20 back. Suppose they might try a TE or a RB at Fullback, but for sheer blocking power, they could have anticipated this and repped Netane Muti at 20, but that kind of thinking is probably alien to Hackett's "football philosophy".

Hack has Football Philosophy ? LOL 😂.

Sam I am
            with you 100% The Coaching and Playcalling is what is so wrong 😑 in Denver. Sad State Of Affairs We All Seem To Be In. The Twilight Zone

Comment

The thing that really bothers me about RW is his demeanor. He carries himself as if he were an elite quarterback like a Rodgers or Brady. Whenever I see him on the field I get bad flashbacks of Joe Flacco in blue and orange. He needs to check his ego at the door and act like he gives a crap. He knows and everybody knows how much money this organization is paying him, injuries be damned. It's time to punch in like everybody else and give 200% like the defense does every week.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Nice analysis Sam. The bronco fan in me still enjoys a good breakdown even if I can not bring myself to watch the games anymore.
                Skill + Effort = Talent. Talent + Effort = Achievement. A. Duckworth - Grit.

Comment

Wilson may be suffering from confidence issues at this point, to help him overcome, the team ought to show more love and support. A bigger corner office with attached conference room could be a good start, an additional office for team3 and Mrs. Wilson could surely help. Team could also sponsor short films by team 3, a nice gesture of love. More seriously, team must rid malcontents that hated on Wilson, we must remember that Wilson thrived in a system where Pete Carroll forbid other players to critique Wilson. Carroll gutted and rid the team of Wilson haters, from legion of bloom to other all pros, just so Wilson could be in his elements and space.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                    The good thing about having a veteran quarterback on the roster, is it gives us a couple of years to find a young quarterback.
                    We may not like it, but we have to make the best of having RW as our starting QB, and hopefully he can get it together and have a couple of decent seasons moving forward.

Wilson will repay the team with greatest draft position in 2024?

Comment

Originally posted by toffee View Post
                      Wilson may be suffering from confidence issues at this point, to help him overcome, the team ought to show more love and support. A bigger corner office with attached conference room could be a good start, an additional office for team3 and Mrs. Wilson could surely help. Team could also sponsor short films by team 3, a nice gesture of love. More seriously, team must rid malcontents that hated on Wilson, we must remember that Wilson thrived in a system where Pete Carroll forbid other players to critique Wilson. Carroll gutted and rid the team of Wilson haters, from legion of bloom to other all pros, just so Wilson could be in his elements and space.
                      Carroll gutted and rid the team of Wilson. End.

Comment

Working...
                      X