No announcement yet.

What do the Broncos do during practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do the Broncos do during practice?

What on earth do the Broncos do during practice? Serious question. I'm hoping for a little inside knowledge if anyone happens to have any. I've been an instructor and trainer in the military, and the whole point of doing the training is so you can do the things you need to do, effectively, in high stress situations. You guys don't need me to tell you how ineffective the Broncos have been in games, I've read your comments critiquing their performance and their failures. But it begs the question -- if they're consistently that bad in games, what the blazes are they doing in practices?
    If you'll take no for an answer, someone's going to give it to you.

They must be committing lots of penalties, making mental errors and working on their three and outs on offense.

Comment

High knee lifts?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoStampede View Post
        They must be committing lots of penalties, making mental errors and working on their three and outs on offense.
        Your post made me laugh about something unrelated. One of my jobs in the Marines was firearms instructor. I was quite good at it, too. One of the things people do by habit is, when they're pretending to shoot an imaginary gun, they add the recoil. I do it myself. But when you do that, you're adding muscle and motion to the process were there needs to be none, and so that's a mistake. And NEVER PRACTICE YOUR MISTAKES!

Comment

Injecting each other with wolverine blood

Comment

The players suck. They can be practicing phenomenally but when they go up against better players that's irrelevant.
            sigpic

Comment

My guess is they all stand around looking at their watches because they sure aren't getting better

Comment

Pingpong tournaments?
                [D7C4396B-F1D6-4291-890C-4C7F4D83E499.jpg/SIGPIC]

Comment

I coached youth soccer for 21 years and I always saw and said that going up against great players in practice made everyone better. I would think that this offense going up against the great defense in practice would make them better, but obviously for some reason it's not. The defense must completely dominate the intra squad practices!

Comment

Originally posted by East Coast Fan View Post
                    I would think that this offense going up against the great defense in practice would make them better...
                    That's a reasonable assumption. Hence my question.

Comment

They said on 104.3 the fan about a month ago that Hackett never runs practices at full speed. So apparently they never practice at full speed, which is probably the dumbest thing I've heard.
                      :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                      sigpic

Comment

Patiently wait for Wilson to come out of his office? Those Team 3 mtgs are notoriously long.

Comment

Well, one thing the coaching staff didn't do was realize the only Fullback they have didn't practice all week and probably wouldn't be available for Baltimore. At Carolina, they actually lined up in the I/offset I (21 personnel) a number of times including Latavius Murray's 52 yard run, and had 121 yards on 19 attempts for 6.37 ypa.

Consequently, without Beck, they didn't line up in the I/offset I at Baltimore and only rushed for 88 yards on 28 attempts for 3.14 ypa. They did continue their strange fascination of trying to run from shotgun. Wonder how much time they spent practicing that ineffective play rather than preparing someone to line up as Fullback/20 Back in the I formation?

Some NFL teams don't carry a Fullback/20 Back. Teams that do usually only have one and that guy also plays on the four core STs (KO, KOR, P, PR) If a team's offense plans on using 21 personnel formations (i.e., I) a significant amount of the plays, they must address the issue of depth when their only Fullback/20 Back isn't available.

Since Beck wasn't available, and since Denver doesn't carry a Fullback/20 Back on the PS, they had all week to prepare another player either from the roster or PS to play Fullback/20 Back. Candidates included any of the TEs on the roster, or RB Devine Ozigbo from the PS. In view of the fact that that the job of a Fullback in the I is to block, my personal choice would have been Netane Muti who is a far superior blocker than any other possibility.

Currently, Fullbacks mostly block. Nowadays, if a Fullback touches the ball, it's as a receiver. Fullback rushing attempts are rare. The last time I remember a Fullback running Guard Hole Trap was Merrill Hoge for the "91 Steelers. If Muti was in at FB, D would be forced to stack the box, since all he's going to do is block. In that practice scenario, Denver would have needed to rep some angle blocked inside plays, probably on the right side of the O-Line. Down blocks with Muti leading Murray might not even need a puller, although one wouldn't hurt.

At 1:06 in the 2nd quarter with three timeouts at the +32, Denver attempted three passes resulting in a gain of 9 yards putting the ball at the +23 with 00:42 remaining, so they called TO on 4th and 1. They elected a FGA which was good, but it left too much time for Baltimore to get into position for a FGA before halftime which almost succeeded. If they had prepared Muti to play FB, they could have lined up in the I and attempted to convert 4th down, and could have stopped the clock with a TO with enough time to score a TD. I understand why they didn't because they hadn't been running the ball very well due to not having a FB, and futilely trying to run from shotgun.

Not being able to line up in the I is a serious deficiency to the multi-formation offenses used in the NFL. In 2011, Denver led the league in rushing attempts and yards. They ran the ball from more different formations than any team at any level of which I am aware, but they only carried one Fullback, Spencer Larsen, who was injured in the season finale vs KC. They needed OT to defeat the Steelers in the WC round, but when they went to NE in the Divisional Round, they couldn't get the Pats D out of their Aggied/Eagled 50 defense because they couldn't line up in the I, since Larsen was out. Virgil Green is the best blocking TE Denver has had in the last ten years, but I don't recall the Broncos using him at FB/20 much, if at all, in that game. Consequently Denver's rushing ypa dropped from 4.8 on the season to 3.6 with NE outrushing Denver in yards and ypa. Denver's passing attack couldn't overcome it.

IF, the offense in which Russell Wilson plays next year uses a lot of 21 personnel formations and runs/PAP from the I, they need depth at the Fulback/20 Back position. That depth would most likely be on the PS and IMO there should be two players on the PS who can play that spot. Good Fullbacks don't need to be drafted. They are available as undrafted college free agents as well as Unrestricted Free Agents, who are more proven, but more expensive.

Last edited by samparnell; 12-06-2022, 09:07 AM. Reason: typo
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                            Injecting each other with wolverine blood
                            Where's Brian Dawkins when you need him?
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Lol great thread title

Comment

Working...
                              X