Strong Trenches = Winning Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong Trenches = Winning Football

The Bengals and Eagles have proven this theory to be accurate. It was the Home priority for the Bengals to improve their offensive line last year.....not only the starters, but the backups as well. They succeeded. The eagles are very strong up front and probably have the best Center in the league. I do not want to give up this years first for Payton, I want the best Center or Right tackle with our valuable first round pick. Our two thirds should be used on the lines as well. Its a copy cat league....lets follow the leaders.

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
    The Bengals and Eagles have proven this theory to be accurate. It was the Home priority for the Bengals to improve their offensive line last year.....not only the starters, but the backups as well. They succeeded. The eagles are very strong up front and probably have the best Center in the league. I do not want to give up this years first for Payton, I want the best Center or Right tackle with our valuable first round pick. Our two thirds should be used on the lines as well. Its a copy cat league....lets follow the leaders.
    I agree that fortifying the trenches is a very wise strategy. The Eagles are possibly the best in the league in that regard. Most of the top teams have excellent lines. San Fran is up there. The Bengals did the right thing drafting Oliners, but somehow they are managing with a weakened line due to injuries. But Burrow and the weapons are among the best. Still, their Oline really handled Buffalo yesterday.

The Broncos should continue to build up their trenches. That's never a bad idea.

Comment

While there are QBs and RBs that can take over a game, they cannot do that without a minimally good line performance.
      The best way to build a team is from the inside of the line outward. Same thing with the backups, build inside out.
      It is difficult to retain good offensive linemen and even a greater challenge to gather them thru the draft.
      Some college linemen project well and are drafted early and never work out while others may be drafted low and surprise everyone.
      Drafting linemen is an area where having numerous picks can really help and an effective line coach is worth their weight in gold.

Comment

Living near Philly, I can say no team does better at building and maintaining solid OL and DL. It's why they have been legitimate contenders for most of the last 20+ years. Different coaches, different QB's, yet they are almost always in the playoffs and contend.

Comment

Win on the line of scrimmage and you will win a lot of games. It has always been and will always be. Line play is the most important part of team football on a fundamental and rudimentary level. This is why it's so important to build from the inside out. A bunch of flashy DBs and WRs can't consistently impact a game if their respective lines constantly breakdown. A good line makes a lot of things more effective and consistent. Bad line play...well, we all know what that looks like, don't we?

Comment

The Broncos went to many super bowls, and had excellent offensive lines, they won when they had stellar offensive lines. The ability to establish the run and block for your QB is winning football. At least in Denver real success has never happened another way.

Comment

Good point, no argument here....but... plenty of O Lineman bust as well in D1 (I don't know if they have a higher bust rate, or normal bust rate).

However, It does strike me though that a lot of whom is considered "elite" O- Lineman are D1 or D2 picks. I'm not saying all great O Lineman are Rounds 1 & 2, but without Google checking, my gut tells me if I list the Top 20 O-Lineman in the NFL, most would be 1st rounders when they were drafted. We can't normally say this for other positions I think (not so much anyway?). Possibly D-Line as well. And maybe QB.

If we hold on to our first round pick, I want whatever player will help the team the most in 2023 to 2024 - not necessarily a day 1 starter, but not a "project" either. And for me, yes, this also means considering a QB in the first round (I'm in the minority with this). I guess most late first round QB's might be considered somewhat of a project, I admit.

Comment

Working...
              X