Jake May Retire (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake May Retire (Merged)

Channel 4 in Denver just ran an interview with Jay Cutler and Vic Lombardi in regards to Jake, and Jay stated that Jake may retire. So far, I cannot find anything on Channel 4's site.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Man that might be big if Jake retires,Im sure a lot of teams are still interested in him.He still has a little left in the tank.Hope he"s not tryin to get a little extra money with this publicity.

Comment

hmmmm. . .

i'm not sure about this, but i BELIEVE that if he retires, he comes off of our cap without us taking a hit (unless he still has unpaid signing bonus). . . can anyone give a definitive answer to this question? ultimately, it probably won't matter-- i doubt he'll actually choose to retire. . . .
      Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Native
        Channel 4 in Denver just ran an interview with Jay Cutler and Vic Lombardi in regards to Jake, and Jay stated that Jake may retire. So far, I cannot find anything on Channel 4's site.
        My guess is that Jay made a rookie mistake if he did say what you say he said. If Jake is considering retirement, he would probably be the one to say so. It is very unlikely that he is considering retirement. Jay really shouldn't be commenting on Jake's future plans until Jake or the organization makes those plans public.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

It's not out of the realm of possibility.

He wants a ring, and if the biggest team interested in him is the Texans, he might opt to retire rather than try and learn a new system in a new town (Even if he had Kubiak before, new players, new chemistry etc), and try to win a ring for a losing dynasty.
          sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
          Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee
            My guess is that Jay made a rookie mistake if he did say what you say he said. If Jake is considering retirement, he would probably be the one to say so. It is very unlikely that he is considering retirement. Jay really shouldn't be commenting on Jake's future plans until Jake or the organization makes those plans public.
            Here is link - Cutler's video on there http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/loc...053192200.html

Here is story:

Jake Plummer May Be Contemplating Retirement

Vic Lombardi
            Reporting

(CBS4) DENVER There's been talk that the Broncos might trade quarterback Jake Plummer, but what if Plummer doesn't want to play football anymore?

CBS4 Sports has learned that Plummer is "seriously considering retirement."

This season Plummer was replaced by rookie Jay Cutler, and since then there's been speculation about whether Plummer would return as a backup or get traded to a team like the Houston Texans.

Cutler told CBS4 on Thursday he and Plummer have talked about retirement.

"I think anybody close to Jake, who knows him on a personal level, if he came in one day and said 'I'm outta here' ... it wouldn't be a big surprise," Cutler told CBS4's Vic Lombardi. "But he's competitor. I know he loves the game and loves Sundays, so if he came back I wouldn't be surprised that way either."

Plummer doesn't crave the limelight and he doesn't spend much money.

"So he really could just walk away and go live in a mountain hut somewhere," CBS4's Reggie Rivers joked Thursday night.

Comment

wow this is huge news. if jake retires then we dont get hit with his salary. we could deffinitely use the cap space.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenBronx
                wow this is huge news. if jake retires then we dont get hit with his salary. we could deffinitely use the cap space.
                Retired players still affect the salary cap, and the bonuses accelerate the same exact way they would if say... said player were cut or traded.

One way or another, retirement, cut, or traded, we'll still feel the sting of Jake's contract and the $900,000 net space we get from his departure at some point in the offseason.
                sigpic

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Comment

Why?

Why would Jake just walk away and leave $Millions on the table??

Comment

Originally posted by MindField
                    This was in the article I posted:

"Plummer doesn't crave the limelight and he doesn't spend much money."

Apparently, money does not mean much to him - and personally, I feel that is a very good trait.

Comment

His dream

I heard he is going to get a job as the caveman in the insurance commericals Well actually I hope he doesnt because he is one of my favorite broncos, or soon to be ex bronco

Comment

At his age, a championship ring is likely more important than money, and if he sees his future being placed on a team that is not going anywhere for awhile or as BroncosKazuki would put it:

A transition QB to save a coaches job and last 1-2 years at most.
                        It just might not be worth going to a new town and learning a new system, when it is probably not going to be worth it in the end. (No chance for a Lombardi)
                        sigpic

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                          At his age, a championship ring is likely more important than money, and if he sees his future being placed on a team that is not going anywhere for awhile or as BroncosKazuki would put it:

It just might not be worth going to a new town and learning a new system, when it is probably not going to be worth it in the end. (No chance for a Lombardi)

I will believe this when I see it...

He would certainly go to Houston to be re-united with Kubiak.

Minnesota is a good team with a horrible QB situation.

I think Tampa will be a player before it's all done, because I think Gruden and Shanahan have a mutual admiration society between them.

Bottom Line, I think it is better than even money Plummer will be a starter next season somewhere else.

Now if it turns out to be Cleveland on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                            Retired players still affect the salary cap, and the bonuses accelerate the same exact way they would if say... said player were cut or traded.

One way or another, retirement, cut, or traded, we'll still feel the sting of Jake's contract and the $900,000 net space we get from his departure at some point in the offseason.

it still would be way less if he retired.

if jake really "doesnt care about the money" then he should restructure and stay on as the backup. is he worried about the wear and tear on his body or does he just not want to go a whole season year after year and not win the big one?

personally i dont buy him wanting to retire. if he wants to play in 07 then he will end up a starter somewhere because he still has something left in the tank.
                            Last edited by DenBronx; 02-22-2007, 07:24 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I will believe this when I see it...

He would certainly go to Houston to be re-united with Kubiak.

Minnesota is a good team with a horrible QB situation.

I think Tampa will be a player before it's all done, because I think Gruden and Shanahan have a mutual admiration society between them.

Bottom Line, I think it is better than even money Plummer will be a starter next season somewhere else.

Now if it turns out to be Cleveland on the other hand...
                              Tampa has to rebuild it's aging defense and restablish some consistancy on the O-line before they climb back into contention.

Minnesota needs to correct it's horrid pass defense and get some reliable playmakers on defense before it can climb above the Packers and especially the Bears in contention.

He might not reunite with Kubiak if he cannot see a Lombardi during his tenure there.

I don't speak for Jake Plummer of course, I'm just trying to picture some ideas for why he might decide to retire rather than play for a team with little-to-no chance at SB hopes.
                              sigpic

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Comment

Working...
                              X