Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutler wants Plummer to return

http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=65288

DENVER (AP) -- Jay Cutler spent his rookie season under the tutelage of Jake Plummer and even took his job, and the Denver Broncos' starting quarterback said Thursday he would like to see Plummer stay with the team.

Cutler, who was given the starting job in November, when the Broncos were 7-4, became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw two touchdown passes in each of his first four games. But Denver ended the season at 9-7 after a 26-23 overtime loss to San Francisco eliminated them from the playoffs.

Cutler said Thursday he had spoken with Plummer recently.

"I would love to have him around and have his experience and have him in the locker room," Cutler said. "He's a great team guy, but I don't know if that's what Jake wants. I don't know if that's what the guys upstairs want."

Cutler spoke at an event to introduce a partnership between the Jay Cutler Foundation and Mile High United Way's Youth Success Initiative. He presented a $25,000 donation from the foundation to the initiative, which helps at-risk youth graduate from high school. Cutler said he plans to play host at a number of fundraising and volunteer events to support the program.

"I think it's my responsibility to give back to the community and make some issues known that I think are important," he said.

Cutler said Plummer divulged little about his plans during their recent conversations.

"I know Jake is still a competitor and he loves the game and to go out there and play," Cutler said. "I don't know if Jake is going to hang it up or is going to stick around or if Jake is going to get traded."

Cutler also said he has talked with head coach Mike Shanahan and watched some game film from last season.

"I'm happy I had the opportunity to get in there and play some and get a feel for things so that I know what I'm up against when the season starts," he said. "When I got thrown in there I didn't know too much, but once I got out there and started playing, it was just like playing back at (Vanderbilt) or playing in high school."

"Things move a little quicker and it is a little more complicated," Cutler said. "But once you get it all down, it's a game."
    Last edited by cutlerfan; 02-23-2007, 07:23 AM.

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Offseason a mix of fun, work for Denver's Cutler

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...372975,00.html

Time off includes a chance to bond with teammates
    Joe Mahoney © News

Jay Cutler's offseason included a trip with several offensive linemen to Costa Rica. "It was good for me to get to know them as much as possible and for them to know me," Cutler said.

INDIANAPOLIS - When Jay Cutler met with Mike Shanahan in their season-ending player- coach conference, the message he received was direct.
    "He was kind of like, 'Get out of here and enjoy your offseason,' " the Broncos quarterback said in a telephone interview Thursday. " 'And when it's time to come back, it's time to go to work.' "

Cutler has been mixing business and pleasure recently.

He has been around the Dove Valley training facility working out some, started a charitable endeavor, too, but he also has had his share of fun.

The highlight was a recent trip to Costa Rica with a large group of offensive linemen, including Chris Kuper, Ben Hamilton, Cooper Carlisle, George Foster and Chris Myers.

The group rented a house, relaxed and spent plenty of time deep-sea fishing. It was a chance for Cutler to bond in an informal setting with many of those who'll be charged with protecting him in his first full season as an NFL starter.

"It was good for me to get to know them as much as possible and for them to know me," he said.

Cutler caught the Super Bowl but otherwise didn't watch the postseason, making sure he heeded Shanahan's call to get away from the sport for a spell.

He also has gone to Nashville, Tenn., to spend time with friends during the 1 1/2 months since the Broncos were knocked out of the postseason with a loss in the season finale against the San Francisco 49ers.

"Once you're out of the playoff race, I really don't think you want to watch," he said.

Come April 2, consider Cutler an active, full-time participant.

That's the beginning of the offseason strength and conditioning program. And while the quarterback doesn't have any grand plans for remaking his body in any specific fashion, he realizes the importance the next few months hold in preparing mentally for the season.

"I think the physical part will take care of itself," he said, adding he's going to be around the facility "as much as possible. But I want to get in here and really get things down and see what they want out of me and get an understanding of what I feel comfortable with. That's the primary goal."

Cutler, the highest-drafted quarterback in team history as the No. 11 pick in April, had a memorable five-game stretch as a starter in his first season.

He threw multiple touchdown passes in each of his first four games on his way to an 81-of-137 passing performance for 1,001 yards. He posted the second-highest touchdown percentage and third-highest touchdown-to-interception ratio among rookies since 1970.

But two of his interceptions were returned for touchdowns and proved critical in losses to the Seattle Seahawks and 49ers.

The coaching staff remains high on Cutler's ability and is secure in the knowledge he'll be weaned off the feeling he must always carry the club by himself - a malady Jake Plummer struggled when he first joined the Broncos.

One thing the team isn't concerned about is Cutler having the work ethic to turn the corner from inconsistent rookie to above-average starter, and quickly.

"He's always been a weightlifter," Shanahan said recently about his goals for Cutler this offseason. "He's a workout warrior. It's one of the reasons he bench- pressed 225 pounds 28 times. . . . He always stays in good shape. But it'll be film study, a lot of timing with the quarterbacks and receivers out in the field and in the offseason program.

"But you've got to have guys that want to do it. You've got to have guys that it's part of their life, where not winning the Super Bowl is unacceptable to him."

And Cutler, "loves it," Shanahan said. "He breathes it."

Shanahan also has issued a challenge to the Cutler-led offense, calling the Broncos' 17th-place ranking in points and 21st finish in yardage embarrassing and promising a quick return to a top-five- type finish. Cutler believes that's possible next season.

"Definitely," he said. "With the offensive linemen we have and the receivers and running backs we have coming back, there's no question we should be more production on offense. And top to bottom, I think we all feel the same thing - to get things back to where they used to be."

The Broncos figure to enter next season with one or two new starters up front on offense, perhaps another tight end and almost assuredly a running back to compete for the starting job, whether acquired via the draft or free agency.

But Cutler wasn't about to play general manager and discuss what he feels is needed to achieve the offensive renaissance.

Remember, he is still relaxing, and besides . . .

"This is the NFL and you're going to have change year to year, but it's not my job to tell anybody who we should have," he said. "That's up to coach Shanahan and how he thinks we should improve the team. I'm going to play with the guys we've got here and the guys we get. And if we don't get anybody, I'll play with them."

[email protected]

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Good article. Seems like the young man has his mind in the right place. He is an "All-American" boy if there ever was one. I have been impressed with his demeanor and his approach to the job. He does not seem to have any downside to his personality or the persona he wants to project.

I hope he is as successful as he promises to be.......

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan
        http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=65288

DENVER (AP) -- Jay Cutler spent his rookie season under the tutelage of Jake Plummer and even took his job, and the Denver Broncos' starting quarterback said Thursday he would like to see Plummer stay with the team.

Cutler, who was given the starting job in November, when the Broncos were 7-4, became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw two touchdown passes in each of his first four games. But Denver ended the season at 9-7 after a 26-23 overtime loss to San Francisco eliminated them from the playoffs.

Cutler said Thursday he had spoken with Plummer recently.

"I would love to have him around and have his experience and have him in the locker room," Cutler said. "He's a great team guy, but I don't know if that's what Jake wants. I don't know if that's what the guys upstairs want."

Cutler spoke at an event to introduce a partnership between the Jay Cutler Foundation and Mile High United Way's Youth Success Initiative. He presented a $25,000 donation from the foundation to the initiative, which helps at-risk youth graduate from high school. Cutler said he plans to play host at a number of fundraising and volunteer events to support the program.

"I think it's my responsibility to give back to the community and make some issues known that I think are important," he said.

Cutler said Plummer divulged little about his plans during their recent conversations.

"I know Jake is still a competitor and he loves the game and to go out there and play," Cutler said. "I don't know if Jake is going to hang it up or is going to stick around or if Jake is going to get traded."

Cutler also said he has talked with head coach Mike Shanahan and watched some game film from last season.

"I'm happy I had the opportunity to get in there and play some and get a feel for things so that I know what I'm up against when the season starts," he said. "When I got thrown in there I didn't know too much, but once I got out there and started playing, it was just like playing back at (Vanderbilt) or playing in high school."

"Things move a little quicker and it is a little more complicated," Cutler said. "But once you get it all down, it's a game."
        Gotta love that confidence from the rook!!!!

I owe CP's to: no one

Comment

Originally posted by TR3Y

I don't want to start a whole other "who is better conference discussion" but with that said playing in the SEC on a bad team has probably helped Jay because he was the team. Now at Denver he was weapons he can use and a line that can block for him. If we get a premier running back can you imagine what that can do for Jay and Denver's offense!

Where Jay Graduated!

Comment

Even though he's kind of goofy looking, I want to marry him. I'll start making wedding plans

Comment

I don't want to start a whole other "who is better conference discussion" but with that said playing in the SEC on a bad team has probably helped Jay because he was the team. Now at Denver he was weapons he can use and a line that can block for him. If we get a premier running back can you imagine what that can do for Jay and Denver's offense!
              Precisiouly the reason I have Mr. Peterson in my sig

Adding a franchise back to team with Cutler will be sick
              I owe CP's to: no one

Comment

I want him back too....in the age of butter-fingered place holders.....he's the best in the leauge...
                sigpic

Comment

You know how much it would help to have Plummer as a backup?

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                  2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Originally posted by TR3Y

Dam look at those abs TR

Comment

Originally posted by AsianOrange
                      You know how much it would help to have Plummer as a backup?
                      I think I seen enough in the 49ers game

Comment

Originally posted by ckstorm182000
                        Even though he's kind of goofy looking, I want to marry him. I'll start making wedding plans
                        I'll be there

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy
                          I'll be there
                          I hope ckstorm182000 is a girl... otherwise that post would be funny.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                          2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

uh oh... i am not too confident about that.... especially seeing georgina's performance last season....
                            [A HREF = 'http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/...williamsxt5.jpg'][/A]

Comment

Originally posted by AsianOrange
                              I hope ckstorm182000 is a girl... otherwise that post would be funny.
                              Cps coming Agent Orange

Comment

Working...
                              X