Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how come they never look at bailey for the mvp?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • how come they never look at bailey for the mvp?

    i know this doesnt really have anything to do with anything but i was just wondering why you think they hardly ever mention him?

  • #2
    they do-- he came in second in this year's defensive MVP voting behind jason taylor. . . .
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

    rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by lynch4756624
      i know this doesnt really have anything to do with anything but i was just wondering why you think they hardly ever mention him?
      Good question. The only answer I have is that Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and LT are the face of the NFL.

      They also usually have really impressive numbers as well.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        I mean honestly how can you deny what Champ did last year. He never gets thrown at and still has 10 picks. I think Champ wins the defensive MVP if Marriman is taken out of the equation. He cheated and should not have gone to the Pro Bowl or even be considered for MVP.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AllEyezOnZach27
          I mean honestly how can you deny what Champ did last year. He never gets thrown at and still has 10 picks. I think Champ wins the defensive MVP if Marriman is taken out of the equation. He cheated and should not have gone to the Pro Bowl or even be considered for MVP.
          Not winning DPOY doesn't deny what he did last year.

          It is a title, nothing more. A title of accomplishments yes, and well deserved by those who get those titles, but it does not take anything, at all, away from the runner ups.
          sigpic

          :cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

          D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

          :logo:
          Denver Broncos General Manager

          Comment


          • #6
            I think a CB has taken the honor only once. They figure that CB cannot change the course of a game each and every week because he can only take away half the field like Champ. What can i say....he got robbed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sharp_shepherd
              I think a CB has taken the honor only once. They figure that CB cannot change the course of a game each and every week because he can only take away half the field like Champ. What can i say....he got robbed.
              Four CBs have won the award. The last CB to win it was none other than "Neon" Deion Sanders

              Cornerback Rod Woodson won the award in 1993 with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He recorded eight interceptions that year with 95 tackles. Before Woodson, Oakland’s Lester Hayes (1980) and Pittsburgh’s Mel Blount (1975) are the other cornerbacks to receive the award.

              http://www.longmontfyi.com/sports-story.asp?id=13788

              The hard truth of it is the position he plays. Unless you're in a position where you're making sacks and creating havoc in the trenches like a defensive end or line backer than you're going to be a hard sell for DPOY. Champ was 6 votes behind Jason Taylor and had 4 of those votes gone to Champ he'd of won it. He's in his prime and hopefully next year he can have a better chance at the award.
              Last edited by // / yardo; 02-24-2007, 04:49 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                mister stickum, i remember him well, very good cb, i hated his guts
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Only three safeties have won the award as well. Out of 35 years that's only seven defensive backs that have accounted for DPOY awards. And the last DB was Ed Reed in 2004. The last CB was (as I mentioned) Deion Sanders in 1994; over ten years ago.

                  It's hard to win as a DB and that's that Shawn Merriman was discounted by a lot of voters because of his suspension. Had he not been suspended, I think he'd of been the "for sure winner."

                  NFL Defensive Players Of The Year

                  * 1971 Alan Page, Minnesota Vikings Defensive tackle
                  * 1972 Joe Greene, Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive tackle
                  * 1973 **** Anderson, Miami Dolphins Safety
                  * 1974 Joe Greene, Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive tackle
                  * 1975 Mel Blount, Pittsburgh Steelers Cornerback
                  * 1976 Jack Lambert, Pittsburgh Steelers Linebacker
                  * 1977 Harvey Martin, Dallas Cowboys Defensive end
                  * 1978 Randy White, Dallas Cowboys Defensive end
                  * 1978 Randy Gradishar, Denver Broncos Linebacker
                  * 1979 Lee Roy Selmon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defensive end
                  * 1980 Lester Hayes, Oakland Raiders Cornerback
                  * 1981 Lawrence Taylor, New York Giants Linebacker — rookie
                  * 1982 Lawrence Taylor, New York Giants Linebacker
                  * 1983 Doug Betters, Miami Dolphins Defensive end
                  * 1984 Kenny Easley, Seattle Seahawks Safety
                  * 1985 Mike Singletary, Chicago Bears Linebacker
                  * 1986 Lawrence Taylor, New York Giants Linebacker
                  * 1987 Reggie White, Philadelphia Eagles Defensive end
                  * 1988 Mike Singletary, Chicago Bears Linebacker
                  * 1989 Keith Millard, Minnesota Vikings Defensive tackle
                  * 1990 Bruce Smith, Buffalo Bills Defensive end
                  * 1991 Pat Swilling, New Orleans Saints Linebacker
                  * 1992 Cortez Kennedy, Seattle Seahawks Defensive tackle
                  * 1993 Rod Woodson, Pittsburgh Steelers Cornerback
                  * 1994 Deion Sanders, San Francisco 49ers Cornerback
                  * 1995 Bryce Paup, Buffalo Bills Linebacker
                  * 1996 Bruce Smith, Buffalo Bills Defensive end
                  * 1997 Dana Stubblefield, San Francisco 49ers Defensive tackle
                  * 1998 Reggie White, Green Bay Packers Defensive end
                  * 1999 Warren Sapp, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defensive tackle
                  * 2000 Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens Linebacker
                  * 2001 Michael Strahan, New York Giants Defensive end
                  * 2002 Derrick Brooks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Linebacker
                  * 2003 Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens Linebacker
                  * 2004 Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens Safety
                  * 2005 Brian Urlacher, Chicago Bears, Linebacker
                  * 2006 Jason Taylor, Miami Dolphins, Defensive End
                  Last edited by // / yardo; 02-24-2007, 05:10 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The voters don't look at Bailey for MVP because the he has the DPOY award to win. MVP's are usually offensive players and as Chidoze states they are the faces of the NFL. It is just like MLB, where pitchers won't win MVP because they have the Cy Young Award. That is just the way the voting goes. I do think Bailey deserves the DPOY instead of Taylor, however the players making the sacks and pressure on the QB usually get that award. If Bailey continues to be Bailey and improves on INTs in '07 then there should be no doubt as to who the winner should be.
                    R.I.P
                    #27 Darrent Williams
                    #29 Damian Nash



                    Thanks MasterShake for the sig

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by broncosfanscott
                      I do think Bailey deserves the DPOY instead of Taylor, however the players making the sacks and pressure on the QB usually get that award. If Bailey continues to be Bailey and improves on INTs in '07 then there should be no doubt as to who the winner should be.
                      I believe that Champ will have a difficult time improving on his # of interceptinons for next year. Not due to his talent but rather because teams unless the QB is under serious pressure will not throw anywhere in Champ's general direction. Without opportunities to make plays he won't get the recognitions that he deserves.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dean
                        I believe that Champ will have a difficult time improving on his # of interceptinons for next year. Not due to his talent but rather because teams unless the QB is under serious pressure will not throw anywhere in Champ's general direction. Without opportunities to make plays he won't get the recognitions that he deserves.
                        All we have to do is convince the QB's around the league to throw Champ's way. That should be easy.

                        There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

                        I Support our Troops!
                        How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dean
                          I believe that Champ will have a difficult time improving on his # of interceptinons for next year. Not due to his talent but rather because teams unless the QB is under serious pressure will not throw anywhere in Champ's general direction. Without opportunities to make plays he won't get the recognitions that he deserves.
                          The opportunities will definatly deminish, however there will some QB stupid enough to throw his way.
                          R.I.P
                          #27 Darrent Williams
                          #29 Damian Nash



                          Thanks MasterShake for the sig

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The league is growing to expect whatever Bailey does.No matter what he does his expectations are to high for all the voters.I hate it

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by // / yardo
                              Four CBs have won the award. The last CB to win it was none other than "Neon" Deion Sanders
                              "Neon" Deion actually raised the bar for DB's to get the award. For champ to landslide it he would have to either snag like 12+ receptions or take a few to the house, something Deion was famous for. Both feats are well within Champs' pedigree, and if the used statistics 10 pics, numerous passes defended and only like 35 passes thrown his way is insane. But he needs to take some for TD's at least 2 or break the single season INT record.
                              #swapping

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X