Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Williamson: Garcia, Foster gone, Smith restructuring. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Williamson: Garcia, Foster gone, Smith restructuring. . .

Garcia could be Cutler's backup for 2007
    By Bill Williamson
    Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Launched: 02/25/2007 01:00:00 AM MST
    http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5299611?source=rss

Indianapolis - Two years ago, Jeff Garcia visited the Broncos but left without a deal. The next time Garcia arrives in Denver, he might stay.

There were strong indications Saturday at the NFL scouting combine the Broncos might pursue the veteran quarterback once free agency begins Friday. It initially appeared that if Garcia were going to settle for a backup job, it would be in Philadelphia. But Garcia and the Eagles could be close to parting ways.

So with few potential starting jobs awaiting Garcia, he appears to be interested in Denver's situation at quarterback. In the past, former San Francisco coach Bill Walsh and former 49ers quarterback Steve Young have urged Garcia to play for Mike Shanahan.

The Broncos pursued Garcia two years ago, but he decided to sign with Detroit because of a better chance of starting. Because the Broncos usually keep just two quarterbacks on their 53-man roster, they need a veteran to back up Jay Cutler, a rookie last season. The Broncos also could pursue Cincinnati's Anthony Wright.

Meanwhile, if former Broncos starting quarterback Jake Plummer is planning to retire, his agent isn't in on it.

"Not that I have heard," agent Joby Branion said. "You'd think I'd know something."

There has been speculation Plummer might retire rather than resurrect his career elsewhere. A report in the Jan. 1 edition of The Denver Post indicated Plummer could end his career after 10 NFL seasons.

Plummer, 32, said late last season he will not continue to play in the NFL as a backup.

OT Foster: gone

Offensive tackle George Foster won't return to Denver, which is trying to trade him.

Foster fell out of favor last season and, for a time, was replaced. With Foster gone, the Broncos would go to training camp with Erik Pears and Adam Meadows competing at right tackle. Pears finished the season at left tackle after Matt Lepsis was lost for the year. Lepsis will return this season.

Turner update

Broncos running backs coach Bobby Turner made it clear Saturday: He is putting all his energy into his current job while he awaits word if he will be offered the Miami offensive coordinator job.

"I'm focused on the Broncos," he said. "This is my job."

Dolphins coach Cam Cameron, who has known Turner for more than 30 years, said Friday he still is deciding what to do about his offensive coordinator position.

Footnotes

The Broncos have started talks to restructure wide receiver Rod Smith's contract to create more salary cap room. ... Fullback Cecil Sapp, a restricted Denver free agent who also can play tailback, likely will be tendered a contract soon.

Throw Foster into the trade @ Houston.

Then we can keep our third, the Texans upgrade their line siginificantly, and everybody wins...
    so what's the tally so far? ::

Their 1st (#8) for our #1 (#21), Foster, Plummer, Bell...

That's a pretty sweet deal all the way around the table.
    Last edited by Road_Apples; 02-25-2007, 01:44 PM.

Comment

For a second there, I thought you meant we had traded Foster.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Apples

Then we can keep our third, the Texans upgrade their line siginificantly, and everybody wins...

The would be a horrible trade, we should get more. We would be trading 3 solid players, for an unknown. We should at least get another pick out of that deal.
        sigpic

Comment

That's a lot to give up just to move up 13 spots.....
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chidoze
            I agree moving up 13 spots to #8 is great but i would atleast see another pick to us like a 4th or 5th.. or even see if denver can get a 3rd for next year!

Comment

Interesting read Dream thanks.

I don't know if we can get Garcia the last I heard he still wanted to look for a starting gig somewhere. At any rate, if we could land him I would feel very good about our back situation going into next season.
              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I'd kind of like to keep the #21 spot, how about we take their second rounder and maybe even a third for Foster, Plummer, Bell. We then go from having four first day picks to six

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan
                  The would be a horrible trade, we should get more. We would be trading 3 solid players, for an unknown. We should at least get another pick out of that deal.
                  Foster isnt a solid player, at least not in our system. Jake is going to be gone one way or another.

So, its more like 1 solid player, for a player with greater potential.
                  sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                  SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Garcia: NO! Unless he's cheap.....He won't be!

Wright: Hell no!

Foster: Good luck to Foster...Who's biggest failure in Denver was that he's not a pumped-up fullback/TE!

Turner: Personally I hope he stays...But for him I hope Cameron does what Shanahan should have done last year, make him the offensive co-ordinator.

Rod Smith: Don't count him out this year...He'll be better, imo. How much better? Who knows!

Btw, trading the 21st, Plummer, Bell and Foster is not too much for the 8th pick...The truth is it probably isn't enough.
                    Last edited by stnzed; 02-25-2007, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed
                      Garcia: NO! Unless he's cheap.....He won't be!

Wright: Hell no!

Foster: Good luck to Foster...Who's biggest failure in Denver was that he's not a pumped-up fullback or TE!

Turner: Personally I hope he stays...But for him I hope Cameron does what Shanahan should have done last year, make him the offensive co-ordinator.

Rod Smith: Don't count him out this year...He'll be better, imo. How much better? Who knows!

Btw, trading the 21st, Plummer, Bell and Foster is not too much for the 8th pick...The truth is it probably isn't enough.
                      Maybe under different circumstances, but with the death of Nash I don't think Denver can trade Bell.
                      Last edited by TXBRONC; 02-25-2007, 02:42 PM.
                      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I dunno man......

Trading Jake (No doubt is going to be gone, so why not get value?)

Foster (how much did he do again last year?)

And then Tatum, most likely the most effective player in this trade moving (NOT as a feature back, but as a change of pace back)

Along with the 21st pick

for possibly an anchor on our D-Line, or maybe even a feature running back (please oh please)?

I'd say that is one hell of a trade for us!

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                          Maybe under different circumstances, but with death of Nash I don't think Denver can trade Bell.
                          Very true, we dont have much depth there like we did before......

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                            Maybe under different circumstances, but with death of Nash I don't think Denver can trade Bell.
                            Not exactly high on it either...And you gotta wonder about Bell himself.

Playing the same position as Nash you wonder if Bell wasn't pretty close with him too.

You gotta wonder where Bells head is at.

Comment

Beggars can't be choosers.

Besides, it's very unlikely that we will get the Texans' 1st round pick.

If by some chance we can get it by giving them our 1st and Plummer, T. Bell, and Foster, we can expect Shanahan to be arrested for grand theft larcency, because he will have stolen that pick from Houston.

You have to remember that the Texans don't need to trade for Plummer. They can get him after June 1. Just because they would prefer to get their likely starting QB in before then, it doesn't mean that they won't wait.
                              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                              You Mad Bro?
                              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Working...
                              X