X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myoung
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Chaz
    Easy people, easy, it's not like this is some crazy, out of whack idea. College teams use it all the time. The first backup safety (does that make sense?) of course if good enough in coverage, is sometimes used as a nickel or dime back. I mean if they're good enough get them on the field. Will Allen, Ohio State's SS last year, drafted by the Buccs, he played his first couple of seasons if i'm not mistaken in the nickel and dime packages while also playing safety. Give this guy a break, it's a good idea. The only "problem" is that you have to have a safety who's also good enough to cover in man (I don't believe Kennedy could do this, Ferguson could) and there's also the fact that not only are we going to have one odd man out at safety who will be playing special teams and seeing some spell playing time (either Kennedy or Ferguson) but if we inserted Ferguson as the dime back (Nickel I think safeties in general get burned to often, don't have the speed to match no. 3 wide receivers, and are usually in zone or playing vs. lesser competition in the Dime) either Kelly Herndon or Jeremy Lesueur will be left to watch and play on special teams. NONE OF THIS IS BAD. Just means if one guy goes down, which will always happen, we have another promising DB to take his place. I think Shanny completed his goal of solidifying our secondary. Cudos.
    Colleges do this occasionally not all of the time. They have a tendancy to do this when it is a matchup problem or when the safety is the better cover man (which happens in college). This is not the case in the NFL and is certainly not the case on our team. I would rather have Jimmy Spencer on the field instead of our backup safeties. You need cover men in the NFL on passing situations.

The QBs are just more accurate and the third and fourth receivers are too good. This is an occasional college strategy that just doesn't map well to the NFL game.

It is not a good idea...... I do agree with you that we have solidified the secondary. I just dont agree that using safeties as nickel and dime backs are good ideas.. Not in the NFL and especially not with our safeties....

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    i didnt say i wanted us to do it, i just heard it somewhere and thought it sounded interesting.

personally, i would like to have bailey, walls then herndon/lesueur as our nickel. (depends on mini-camp).

ppl say kennedy held up but are you forgetting the hit on reggie wayne (1st colt game), he will be fine.

i thought ferguson was gr8 last year and hope he starts with lynch.

btw - the backfield of our O is the rb. the backfield of the D is cb's and S's.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Hoagie
    replied
    Interesting idea.... some people can do it.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Chaz
    replied
    Easy people, easy, it's not like this is some crazy, out of whack idea. College teams use it all the time. The first backup safety (does that make sense?) of course if good enough in coverage, is sometimes used as a nickel or dime back. I mean if they're good enough get them on the field. Will Allen, Ohio State's SS last year, drafted by the Buccs, he played his first couple of seasons if i'm not mistaken in the nickel and dime packages while also playing safety. Give this guy a break, it's a good idea. The only "problem" is that you have to have a safety who's also good enough to cover in man (I don't believe Kennedy could do this, Ferguson could) and there's also the fact that not only are we going to have one odd man out at safety who will be playing special teams and seeing some spell playing time (either Kennedy or Ferguson) but if we inserted Ferguson as the dime back (Nickel I think safeties in general get burned to often, don't have the speed to match no. 3 wide receivers, and are usually in zone or playing vs. lesser competition in the Dime) either Kelly Herndon or Jeremy Lesueur will be left to watch and play on special teams. NONE OF THIS IS BAD. Just means if one guy goes down, which will always happen, we have another promising DB to take his place. I think Shanny completed his goal of solidifying our secondary. Cudos.

Leave a comment:

• rcsodak
    replied
    Originally posted by PrimeTime2479
    Ok forgive me for being a [email protected]$$ but when you say backfield the majority of us assume your talking about the running game. Come on man its the secondary your talking about so refer to it as so! Thank you

stupid me I came here thinking this was a running back thread lol
    Feel better?

Leave a comment:

• myoung
    replied
    Re: Re: Re: a new idea for our backfield

Originally posted by broncos4ever
    Remember eastcoast, those hits suspended him from the game and that sure did not help us any. Then he was afraid to hit the rest of the year.
    Great post.... That is absolutely what happened. He was not the same after being suspended.

Leave a comment:

• myoung
    replied
    Originally posted by bronx_2003
    wheres the love for this thread
    Why on earth would you put two guys on the field that are weak in coverage during nickel and dime situations?? This would be crazy. The nickel and dime backs come in to match up with the third and fourth receivers on passing downs.

With four receivers on the field eventually you have to match up (even in a zone). I don't want Lynch or Kennedy trying to match up with Jerry Porter, Dante Hall, or any other third receiver for that matter.

Kennedy and Lynch are strongest against the run, so I don't believe your suggestion makes any sense at all.

Leave a comment:

• broncos4ever
    replied
    Re: Re: a new idea for our backfield

Originally posted by eastcoastbrawla
    Not bad as long as we get to see Kenoys killer hits!
    Remember eastcoast, those hits suspended him from the game and that sure did not help us any. Then he was afraid to hit the rest of the year.

Leave a comment:

• ReleaseTheBeast7
    replied
    Re: a new idea for our backfield

Originally posted by bronx_2003
    how about playing ferguson and lynch as safeties and having kennedy coming in as a nickel or dime and just playing zone over the middle.

what do u think?
    Not bad as long as we get to see Kenoys killer hits!

Leave a comment:

• broncos4ever
    replied
    Originally posted by Almost Heaven
    I don't really want kenoy having to cover anyone. esp. man to man, maybe in a running situation or to blitz the qb.
    I agree. Herndon can cover if he is healthy and can intercept the ball.

Kennedy can do neither. I look for him to be backup to either Lynch or Ferguson or spell them if they get tired.

Leave a comment:

• Almost Heaven
    replied
    I don't really want kenoy having to cover anyone. esp. man to man, maybe in a running situation or to blitz the qb.

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    alot of ppl have suggested having leseur or herndon as our nickel. what do u think of kennedy playing there? kenoy as the nickel.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    it doesn't say anything. THe thread is empty. You are suggesting a defense that could be played ONCE a game? a couple times? But defense changes. Are you talking about a cover 2? WHat exactly are you suggesting? this be a full time D? Its confusing, and doesnt really have much to reply to

Leave a comment:

• Helderht_
    replied
    seems to be good But shanny will decide it our backfield wil be great...

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    wheres the love for this thread

Leave a comment:

Working...
X