There's hope for Ashley Lelie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's hope for Ashley Lelie

Here's a snippet from a Rocky Mountain News article that shows he's taking his job a little more seriously this season:
    The words jarred Ashley Lelie harder than bump coverage.

"I don't think Ashley took a step forward," Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said during his season-in-review news conference in January. "I think Ashley probably played a little bit poorer than he did as a rookie."

It pained Lelie to hear the criticism, but the wide receiver couldn't argue, either.

Self-critical himself, Lelie knew Shanahan was on target.

But instead of wallowing, Denver's 2002 first-round draft pick seems to have taken the assessment to heart and begun working to avoid a repeat.

"It's the reason I was back a month early, so I could get back to it, get back in shape and do better than I did last year," Lelie said.

In Lelie's first two seasons, he reported for duty on the day mandated by the team. Not this spring. He arrived at the beginning of March instead of the April opening of the off-season conditioning program. He has been a fixture at Dove Valley, showing his commitment to improve upon his 37-catch season for 628 yards and two touchdowns in 2003.

The additional month has afforded him extra work with quarterback Jake Plummer and an opportunity to get stronger - requests made by Shanahan during a one-on-one meeting to close last season before Shanahan's public comments about Lelie.
    Here's hoping his extra effort will let him blossom into the receiver we all hoped he would be.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Ashley will have a productive year. Im thinking 60-70 catches 1100 yards

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco16
      Ashley will have a productive year. Im thinking 60-70 catches 1100 yards
      yea, i think lelie is ready for his breakout year...

oh and by the way, welcome to the boards B4Bronco16...

oh, if your tryin to make your sig a pic, put it in img tags

Comment

Thanks, I forgot to say "use full size image"

Comment

Cool.. its good to see that he's working as hard as I expected him to this offseason

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
            Cool.. its good to see that he's working as hard as I expected him to this offseason
            I wopuld love to see him do well and in the new clip from broncos t.v. he makes a good grab but i still have alot of bad vibs from him fromlast year he kille dme in fantasy football.
            Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I hope to see catching more than 1000 yds.....

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

i told all you guys before the draft he was busting his butt to get better, and some of you guys said he was a bust, all he's got to do is get a lot of finger-tip push-ups in, work on those hands.

This guy is going to be great.

Comment

My looks on Ashley Leliero Bowl, 1,000yds., and 70-100 catches!
                  sigpic

Comment

Ashley looked good until Plummer got hurt last year, then his productivity sorta just stalled out. Hopefully that wont happen this year, and I highly doubt that it will.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                    - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
                      Ashley looked good until Plummer got hurt last year, then his productivity sorta just stalled out. Hopefully that wont happen this year, and I highly doubt that it will.
                      True, he killed in the Lions game.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddyMac87
                        i just noticed something odd about the beer-drinking smilies. when you highlight them, they become asian. try it.
                        sigpic
                        go broncos
                        share the sidewalk
                        liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Only one problem with Lelie, he had the same rhetoric last year. Last year was supposed to be his break out year. He needs to learn how to block better and be more physical. The thing he needs to work on most is between his ears. His concentration is aweful. I hope he learns to focus better cause that is what stands between a break out year and a bust year(career).

Comment

Originally posted by mattos
                            i just noticed something odd about the beer-drinking smilies. when you highlight them, they become asian. try it.
                            ...and the beer's foam starts bubbling! Cool...

Oh yeah, I have faith in Lelie. He obviously has the work ethic to get better and the attitude that keeps him focused. I think he'll do great for years to come. Confidence is key for him so you have to work him in early and often and he'll continue to produce. With talk of Jake & Ashley working together more this offseason I wouldn't be surprised if he's the reception leader on the team this year.

Winter is Coming!

Comment

Lelie has everything a receiver needs, but he doesn't play focused and he gets manhandled at the LOS even by smaller DBs. I hope he breaks out this year, or we will be talking about him in the same breath as O'Neal and Middlebrooks.

Comment

Working...
                              X