Talking at the bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking at the bar

SO the friends and I were talkin football again and someone stated that he had read a article on denver so-line that said they were the dirtiest line in football history. First did anyone read this and know where I can find it and second they play pretty fair dont they? Imean im heard of some chop blockes here and there but nothing to bad
    Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

I've heard the chop blocking things (and honestly seen them get get away with quite a few), but I've never heard they are the dirtiest in history. Any O-line that does not include Steve Wisniewski (sp?) cannot be considered the dirtiest in history.

Comment

Chief fans are going to tell you about the chop blocks we have doing for years. I have debated them about this quite a bit. They say our coaches teach a dirty tactic, which my response is if it so illegal why don't we see more penalties, fines and suspensions. I think it is a good debate, I concede we may push the envelope to try to gain an advantage, but the Chief fans use it way too much of an excuse for them falling short of the Broncos, most notably in the 97 playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI03
        Chief fans are going to tell you about the chop blocks we have doing for years. I have debated them about this quite a bit. They say our coaches teach a dirty tactic, which my response is if it so illegal why don't we see more penalties, fines and suspensions. I think it is a good debate, I concede we may push the envelope to try to gain an advantage, but the Chief fans use it way too much of an excuse for them falling short of the Broncos, most notably in the 97 playoffs.
        I would have to agree are line gets called for holding and off sides but thats about it. My friend said it was in an S.I. issue a few years back but I cant seem to find it.
        Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hey if we are the dirtiest Offensive Line in the game then so be it. I don't care. That gives us an advantage against who we play then. Have them thinking while they play. So if that's what they are, sucks for whoever is on our schedule.

Comment

Oul O line could be Dirty but make us Great... and the other Ol sucks

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

With the NFL Handing out fines for everything, wouldn't we be fined week-in and week-out if we were doing illegal blocks?? I keep hearing this crap... yet no one backs it up. We don't get called for any more FOULS than anyone else in the league. We don't get fined any more than anyone else in the league... IF we were doing illegal chop-blocking.. then we WOULD get fined for it by the NFL. Our CUT-blocks are LEGAL. There is a difference between a chop-block and a cut-block... Cutting is legal, chopping is not.

Comment

Agreed.

I remember back during the 49ers reign that they were the dirtiest offensive line. Players were calling them out because not only were they chop blocking but hitting the opposing team players in the nuts while they were on the ground.

Players don't like to be burned so of course they look for an excuse to make something out of nothing. I am not saying that the Broncos don't do some illegal stuff and get away with it. Every team does. It is a part of the game.

"Gateway leading to the AFC West"

Comment

Ravage!!!

IF we were doing illegal chop-blocking.. then we WOULD get fined for it by the NFL. Our CUT-blocks are LEGAL. There is a difference between a chop-block and a cut-block... Cutting is legal, chopping is not.
                  Would you mind explaining the difference? I have never heard or seen anyone explain/demosntrate it , just whine about it.

Thanks!

Comment

Actually, a chop block is LEGAL if it is within three yards of the line of scrimmage. It is outside the three yards that it is penalized.

A Cut Block is simply blocking someone below the knees. Legal.

Most of the penalties you see for chop blocking are when someone is already hitting the guy at the pad level, and someone else goes for his legs. Thats a big no-no.

Comment

Re: Ravage!!!

Originally posted by Road_Apples
                      Would you mind explaining the difference? I have never heard or seen anyone explain/demosntrate it , just whine about it.

Thanks!
                      A cut block is blocking below the waist. A chop block is blocking below the waist when they are already engaged in an upper body block. Example: Tom Nalen is blocking Warren Sapp. As they are engaged and have arms locked, Matt Lepsis dives in and takes out Sapp's legs. that is an illegal chop block. Now if Nalen pulls and doesn't engage Sapp at all and Lepsis dives in and takes out his legs, that is a legal cut block.

Comment

They are dirty cause people don't know the difference between a cut block and a dirty/legal chop block.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                        - Carl Sagan

Comment

Road Apples

Certainly...

DIGGLER... typed it out perfectly. That is the difference between a Cut and a Chop. Chopping (as said) is hitting a defensive lineman below the waist WHILE he is engaged with another offensive lineman (this is illegal). Its illegal because the defensive lineman has to put weight onto his legs in order to engage the person that is already blocking him. Kind of digging in to keep from being blocked... thus not giving him any "give."

The cut block, is blocking a defensive lineman below the waist while the defensive lineman is NOT engaged already. This is not considered illegal and MANY lineman do this in MANY systems. Denver does a lot of pulling, and cutting.

Some defensive lineman just don't WANT to be cut.. and b!tch and b!tch about it.... claiming how 'dirty' the ones that do it are, basically because they are being 'swept out.' Its not a comfortable thing to be cut-blocked.....

Comment

It's also incredibly dangerous, Ravage. THAT'S why it's considered dirty, legal or not.

But the thing about the cut block is that if you mess it up that linemen can easily bust through; but I think our system is the best at this, and that rarely happens. Reason for D-linemen getting pissed the hell off all the time.

BTW, all O-linemen hold, it's just if you do it for too long (notice how if the QB stands in the pocket for more than about three to four seconds the chance of a holding call skyrockets?).

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                            - Carl Sagan

Comment

Re: Ravage!!!

Originally posted by Road_Apples

Thanks!
                              I found this from Mike Pereira on NFL.com.
                              The chop block is a two-man, high-low block. The cut block is a one-man block in close line play that is a block at or below the knees. It is legal if it is from the side or front but illegal if it is from the back.
                              "You can't take the sky from me..."
                              ------
                              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Working...
                              X