Tatum Bell vs. Steven Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tatum Bell vs. Steven Jackson

Well....just watched Sportscenter and they are making it sound like Jackson is likeanother Ricky Williams.

I think Bell is PERFECT for the Broncos...I would like to retract my comments about the selection.

Denver pretty much got 2 #1 draft picks in DJ Williams and Bell. I totally stand behind this decision.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
    2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

I'm not quite sold on it yet.... I wanted us to pick Jackson real bad... Bell may have a leg up on him since Marshal Faulk will pretty much keep Jackson on the bench waiting for a turn.
    The Game Day Thread: Year 17 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

I think less questions surround Jackson than they do Bell (i.e. ball control). Bell is a speedster, and Jackson is a bruiser. Just seems like it depends on the system that you're running. The way they were talking about Jackson during the draft and on Sportscenter it seems like he's more of an all around threat (running and catching out of the backfield) than Bell is.

I've seen Bell play alot in college and he does have problems with his ball control (that doesn't mean it can't be corrected, it's just a problem) and I can't remember him catching the ball out of the backfield too much. Just remember, Bell might have the same physical characteristics as Portis, but that in no way means that he is the next Portis. And in the same vane, just because Griffin might have the same physical characteristics as Barry Sanders, doesn't mean he's the next Barry Sanders. Both of these backs are their own men, they're going to have to make their own mark in the in the NFL and only time will tell whether they can put up the numbers of their respective counterparts.....
      "If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward." - Jack Handey

Comment

What worries me about Bell, is how he is so HUMBLE. I want the guy to come in and say "yeah, I'm gonna start". It seems like he shies away from having a bit of a personality, but he may just be trying to be polite. Hopefully he's got a "personality" on the field. A personality that will net him and us 1500 yards.

Comment

I th ink he has a quiet humbleness that also states that he is GOING to do everythign to get onto the field, he just isn't going to come across arrogant about it. Ilike that. Especially being a rookie. Prove yourself before talking the smack.

I think Bell was the running back that Mike wanted. Considering his record at choosing backs, its hard to argue with it.

Comment

I think were gonna get great value outta Bell. I actually had Bell over Jackson in my own personal mock draft so I think the fact that Broncos were able to pick him up was great. I think he fits well into our "one cut and run" system. He has that burst and explosive speed to take it home everytime he touches it.
            I like Griffin and Garrison too though, there's alot to like about our backs this year.

Comment

I guess I see a different Bell then the one you all see since I'm from Oklahoma and I've seen him quite a bit in the years with all the interviews and news talk. He's a good back, and yes a little humble, but he's also got a little ****y attitude that shines through now and then in interviews some time. Case in point: His first interview after just getting drafted had him saying something along the lines of "My goal is to lead the league in rushing. I don't want to come in and just average the minimum and get 100 yards. I want to play hard every game. I don't want to just be an Average Joe." That right there shows that he's not so humble, but it's not like he said anything bad either. You kinda want something like that from a back from time to time. If you want someone who celebrates after every touchdown like Portis did, then you'll get that from Bell.

When I think of humble, I think more of Griffin. Someone who just flips the ball to the ref after a touchdown and looks to go back to the sideline. Just look at what he'd do on the field after a big run. He wouldn't cheer and jump up and down, he'd simply pick himself up and head back to the huddle with an attitude of "What's the big deal? That's what I'm supposed to do." When it comes to Griffin you're not going to get a guy who's big on sound bytes or bragging about how he's going to do this or that. He's just a shy quiet guy who would prefer to play a quiet game of chess and just go out there and do what he's suppose to do on the field. Nothing more.

So when you say "humble", Bell might have a little humbleness, but Griffin is the true "humble" back.
              "If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward." - Jack Handey

Comment

Originally posted by GrovelingIdiot
                I guess I see a different Bell then the one you all see since I'm from Oklahoma and I've seen him quite a bit in the years with all the interviews and news talk. He's a good back, and yes a little humble, but he's also got a little ****y attitude that shines through now and then in interviews some time. Case in point: His first interview after just getting drafted had him saying something along the lines of "My goal is to lead the league in rushing. I don't want to come in and just average the minimum and get 100 yards. I want to play hard every game. I don't want to just be an Average Joe." That right there shows that he's not so humble, but it's not like he said anything bad either. You kinda want something like that from a back from time to time. If you want someone who celebrates after every touchdown like Portis did, then you'll get that from Bell.

When I think of humble, I think more of Griffin. Someone who just flips the ball to the ref after a touchdown and looks to go back to the sideline. Just look at what he'd do on the field after a big run. He wouldn't cheer and jump up and down, he'd simply pick himself up and head back to the huddle with an attitude of "What's the big deal? That's what I'm supposed to do." When it comes to Griffin you're not going to get a guy who's big on sound bytes or bragging about how he's going to do this or that. He's just a shy quiet guy who would prefer to play a quiet game of chess and just go out there and do what he's suppose to do on the field. Nothing more.

So when you say "humble", Bell might have a little humbleness, but Griffin is the true "humble" back.

When you say you want to lead the league in rushing, that is not c0cky. It's c0cky when you say you WILL lead the league in rushing. There's a big difference. There's nothing wrong with him saying that he doesn't want to be the average Joe either. That's not ****y. You can still be humble and have goals. That interview was fine, I didn't hear any c0ckiness in it. What I did hear was a Runningback eager to impress with goals worth shooting for.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                  When you say you want to lead the league in rushing, that is not c0cky. It's c0cky when you say you WILL lead the league in rushing. There's a big difference. There's nothing wrong with him saying that he doesn't want to be the average Joe either. That's not ****y. You can still be humble and have goals. That interview was fine, I didn't hear any c0ckiness in it. What I did hear was a Runningback eager to impress with goals worth shooting for.
                  You make a very valid point, but I just think that when it comes to humbleness, Griffin is a much more humble back than Bell is. Simple. I think you'd see Bell on the sideline posing with a "WWE Belt" before you'd see Griffin doing it. Of course though, if someone was wearing one of those belts it would also signify that we had one helluva back....So that can't be all that bad either....lol

Comment

arguing that a "humble" back is better makes no sense. As long as their not too c0cky, then let them have their fun and enjoy their time in the sun. Personally i loved watching portis' touchdown dances, and his smack talking, even his wrestling belt. I think that type of personality adds a little flavour on the field.

there's nothing wrong with being humble ofcourse, but there's nothing wrong with playing around a little bit either.
                    "HOW THEY GONNA TRY ME LIKE DAT?!"- Champ Bailey

Comment

This is easy...

Steven Jackson will be out of the league in a few years due to his knee injury/surgery. It'll be the same thing that happened to TD, his knees will degenerate. But during those years he may be awesome, who knows...

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                      - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Arab Bronco
                        arguing that a "humble" back is better makes no sense. As long as their not too c0cky, then let them have their fun and enjoy their time in the sun. Personally i loved watching portis' touchdown dances, and his smack talking, even his wrestling belt. I think that type of personality adds a little flavour on the field.
                        Nobody is arguing that a humble back is better....Just arguing the humbleness of the backs...And I agree with you, smack talking can be fun now and then....Especially if it's against the Raiders....

Comment

I like our draft picks. I think we needed a LB because of gold and u know how the Broncos produce Running backs. ex(Davis, Gary, Anderson, Portis, HOPEFULLY Q OR BELL).

Comment

The last time we had a humble runningback, he ran for 2000+ in a season.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                            2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Re: Re: Tatum Bell vs. Steven Jackson

Originally posted by westflbroncostud
                              HELL YEA! would have prefered vilma though
                              You wanted Vilma AND D WILLIAMS?????
                              "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                              tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                              men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X