Henry almost out of drug program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry almost out of drug program

Saw this over at Denver Post and thought I should post it. Maybe his signing isn't as risky as some made it out to be. Searched and didn't find this posted yet, but sorry if it has. Stay Clean Travis!!

Henry may end up carrying clean slate
    By Bill Williamson
    Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Last Updated: 03/07/2007 12:30:00 AM MST

One risk involved in the Broncos' signing of Travis Henry will be erased later this year if the running back continues to stay clean.

Henry will rotate out of the NFL's substance abuse program after the third game of the 2007 season if he doesn't have any drug violations. If he does have a violation before then, Henry would be suspended for the entire season.

Players rotate out of the program after two seasons if they don't have any further violations.

Henry was suspended four games in 2005, his first season with the Tennessee Titans, after testing positive for marijuana.

Henry, 28, was signed by Denver on Monday and will be the team's primary tailback. Henry is Denver's most experienced and most expensive tailback since Terrell Davis. Henry signed a five-year contract worth $22.5 million, with $12 million in guarantees.

"I'm just focused on being a good Bronco and helping the team win," he said Monday.
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5371166

Let's hope he keeps going in the right direction.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
      Let's hope he keeps going in the right direction.
      I hope so. This article gave me a sense of relief because I was real worried about Henry getting a year long suspension. However, if he's clean after week 3, he's out of the leagues substance abuse program.

Comment

Al Davis will pay him 10 million to smoke weed.
        2 of the top 3 NFL QBs of all time have been Broncos

Comment

unbelievable that you can get kicked out hte nfl for smokin a joint. I mean in that case 90 pct of california cant play in the nfl lol. Certainly noone in the bay area where they have cannabis clubs where if you pay 150 for a card you can buy chronic whenever you want at street price or cheaper. Actually they have em all over cali but more so in the bay.
          2016 AFC WEST CHAMPIONS: STATED WEEK 7 SAN DIEGO SUPER CHARGERS

Comment

Hopefully someone can fill me in...

If, after weak three, he has not smoked any weed, or used any other illegal substances, he will be taken out of the league abuse program. What does that mean?

If he's caught, no year suspension? Back to square one?

Thanks.

Thank you Skywalker for the Marshall sig!
            sigpic

Thank you Damien and Darrent for the memories. You will never be forgotten!

Comment

Originally posted by McKeough
              Hopefully someone can fill me in...

If, after weak three, he has not smoked any weed, or used any other illegal substances, he will be taken out of the league abuse program. What does that mean?

If he's caught, no year suspension? Back to square one?

Thanks.

Found this from the NFLPA's drug policy .pdf.

Duration: A player will remain in Stage Two for twenty-four
              months or two full seasons, whichever is shorter, beginning from
              the later of either the date of entry into Stage Two; or after entering
              Stage Two, the date upon which a player fails to comply with the
              Treatment Plan or fails to cooperate with testing, treatment,
              evaluation or other requirements imposed on him by this Policy,
              both as determined by the Medical Director or has a Positive Test.
              Notwithstanding the foregoing, without any notice a player will be
              automatically and immediately advanced to Stage Three if while in
              Stage Two he has any of the following:

(1) two Positive Tests; or

(2) two instances in which he fails to cooperate with
              testing, treatment, evaluation or other requirements
              imposed on him by this Policy or to comply with his
              Treatment Plan; or

(3) one Positive Test and one instance of a failure to
              comply with his Treatment Plan or cooperate with
              testing, treatment, evaluation or other requirements
              imposed on him by this Policy while in Stage Two.

d. Completion of Stage Two: A player who completes Stage Two
              without being advanced to Stage Three will be afforded the same
              status as a player who had never by Behavior or a Positive Test
              been referred to the Intervention Stages.
              Here's the link http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/RulesAndRe...olicy_2006.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by ChampWJ

Thanks for looking that up.

Great job!!

:thumb:
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChampWJ

Thanks. CP your way!

Thank you Skywalker for the Marshall sig!
                  sigpic

Thank you Damien and Darrent for the memories. You will never be forgotten!

Comment

Sure thing.

After reading a little more, once a player fails a test in Stage 2 (Which Henry is in) they get moved up to stage 3 and get a 1 year suspension (Ricky Williams). Once a player is in Stage 3, they stay there for the remainder of their NFL career. If they stay clean in Stage 2 for 24 months, they get a fresh start, but if they get into stage 3, they throw the book at them basically.

Lets hope Henry doesn't have another failure, because if he stays clean, he's free and clear after week 3. That will be big if that happens.

Comment

i remember when favre had drug problems and he came back strong after rehab. i just saw him on espn talking about his signing on hotlist. he is upbeat and love s that he is in denver. he talked about his time in buffalo and working with vince young in his rookie year. he is looking forward to being a star in denver!
                      GO ANGELS!!!!!!! signed torii hunter!!!

[

denver will go 7-9 this year and 12-4 next year and a 14-2 the following year and superbowl appearance by 2010

Comment

No one else thinks its a big story that our new RB will be out of the NFL's substance abuse program if he's still clean by week 3?

Comment

Originally posted by super_boltz
                          unbelievable that you can get kicked out hte nfl for smokin a joint. I mean in that case 90 pct of california cant play in the nfl lol. Certainly noone in the bay area where they have cannabis clubs where if you pay 150 for a card you can buy chronic whenever you want at street price or cheaper. Actually they have em all over cali but more so in the bay.
                          Hehehe, yeah, I don't think it's such a big deal. It sure isn't performance enhancing like steroids, and it doesn't make people commit violent crimes, like alchol does.

Comment

Oh great, another pot head.

Travis Henry = Bobby Humphries.

Maybe Henry & Ricky Williams can get together in front of the Pentagon and try to lift it up with thier mojo.

Loverly.

(LOL, those are jokes...hold the flames for lighting your bongs...whatever that means *whistles innocently*)

T777
                            "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Comment

Just what the team needs.......................a player that we have to wonder if he is on drugs...................very cautiously optomistic here..............
                              My 3 favorite teams:
                              1.The Denver Broncos
                              2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
                              3.Any team who plays Michigan

Comment

Working...
                              X