Al Wilson Gone? (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ravage!!!
    But its failing the GIANTS physical. The very team that is trying to trade for him. FUnny how this happens allllll the time. A team tries to lowball another team, especially when they feel the team is really limited in the places that player can go. So he 'fails' a physical. Now they can try to really lowball the offer.

I wouldn't read too much into that. There's been players that have never been hurt all of a sudden not pass a physical when the team decided they didn't want to trade for him at all. It doesn't take much for the team doctor to say they are 'concerned' about a particular area.
    The injury is a "concern" if you are giving up a lot in terms of draft picks or players to aquire Wilson! No way they want to take a chance in a situation like that, not with a neck injury.

Of course, it's very different when the player is your own and you already have him on the team. If it wasn't for the salary cap hit, I'm sure the Broncos wouldn't mind Wilson returning. He just doesn't fit the salary cap situation.

But, remember that nobody was willing to give anything in trade for John Lnych when he was being released from the Buccaneers. Denver waited until they released him then signed him to an incentive laden FA contract. If his neck had proven to be serious enough not to let him play, then he'd be released.

On the other hand, Denver didn't give up anything so it was just money.

If Wilson was released some teams would want him, they just don't want to take a chance of giving up players or draft picks only to see him too injured to perform.

Thus, the team physical is very tough on situations like that. He's cleared to play after all.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Cugel
      The injury is a "concern" if you are giving up a lot in terms of draft picks or players to aquire Wilson! No way they want to take a chance in a situation like that, not with a neck injury.

Of course, it's very different when the player is your own and you already have him on the team. If it wasn't for the salary cap hit, I'm sure the Broncos wouldn't mind Wilson returning. He just doesn't fit the salary cap situation.

But, remember that nobody was willing to give anything in trade for John Lnych when he was being released from the Buccaneers. Denver waited until they released him then signed him to an incentive laden FA contract. If his neck had proven to be serious enough not to let him play, then he'd be released.

On the other hand, Denver didn't give up anything so it was just money.

If Wilson was released some teams would want him, they just don't want to take a chance of giving up players or draft picks only to see him too injured to perform.

Thus, the team physical is very tough on situations like that. He's cleared to play after all.
      I think they are more concerned about their salary cap.

They can always make a deal with DEN using conditional draft choice depending on how much he plays. If he washes out we get zipp.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRWIZ
        I think they are more concerned about their salary cap.

They can always make a deal with DEN using conditional draft choice depending on how much he plays. If he washes out we get zipp.
        Denver was reportedly trying to do that, but so far it doesn't look like the Giants are going to bite.

It doesn't do Denver much good either, because a conditional pick by definition has to be next year! So Denver gets nothing in 2007, but in 2008 they get either a 3rd rounder (if Wilson is able to play) or possibly a later round pick (if his neck injury is more serious and the Giants end up cutting him).

But, the Giants apparently think, why not just go in a different direction? So do other teams. It's not as if there are no good LBs out there.
        sigpic

Comment

• Every Sunday night, one of the local news casts has Dave Krieger (local sports writer), and Sandy Klough (local sports talk show host) on live. One of them made the comment last night, that Al wants out of Denver just as bad as Denver wants him out because Al, as well as some other defensive players, were very upset when Coach Petersen was let go after last season, and Al definitely voiced his displeasure.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

• Originally posted by Denver Native
            Every Sunday night, one of the local news casts has Dave Krieger (local sports writer), and Sandy Klough (local sports talk show host) on live. One of them made the comment last night, that Al wants out of Denver just as bad as Denver wants him out because Al, as well as some other defensive players, were very upset when Coach Petersen was let go after last season, and Al definitely voiced his displeasure.

It would seem that our players would want improvement.

Change isn't always bad....and in this case...it's very, VERY good.
            Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

• Originally posted by Giveemlove
              It would seem that our players would want improvement.

Change isn't always bad....and in this case...it's very, VERY good.
              I would imagine that players would want improvement also but maybe they see it as the coach being scapegoated for something he had no control over.
              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

• Originally posted by chickennob2
                I think Webster steps in at SAM, as that really is a good fit for his abilities. DJ moves to MLB and tears it up. We can add a developmental OLB in the 3rd and builld our D-Line in the beginning of the first day.
                That would be nice if we could get Boss Bailey from the Lions,Champs brother.

Comment

• After doing some big spending in March, the Broncos didn't think they could afford to keep Al Wilson when they signed their draft picks. They thought they had a deal with the Giants, but New York's doctors said Wilson had a "cervical issue," and he didn't pass his physical. That probably will reduce Wilson's trade value, and it seems likely Denver will ask Wilson to take a pay cut or release him. "I like Al," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said from the NFL annual meeting in Phoenix. "The defensive coaches didn't think his play made it worth what we were paying him." undefinedWilson's new agent, Peter Schaffer, will continue to find a team for Wilson. "I'm not a doctor, and I don't question doctors," Schaffer told The Denver Post. "But I haven't talked to the Giants' doctors. The Broncos' doctors said he's fine."
                  It looks like Al's worth has really gone down. Denver better trade him to a team of their choice or Wilson could end up playing against Denver twice a year.... if you get my meaning!

link!!!

;);)

Watch out!!!

Comment

• Cautiously optimistic

Originally posted by Krugan
                    I posted this in the thread in 07' draft forum as well but I think it fits here as well.

I cant help but agree witht eh idea of his value at this point, and feel he is at a premium right now.

That aside, this is the worst possible timing for the players of this team. We lost one of our young stars to a tragic murder. We lost another player to a very unexpected death.

Breaking apart the core players could completely level the moral of this team.
                    You need look no further than Al standing beside Tatum(someone said this earlier in the thread) to appreciate what his role is on this team.

Declining skills or not Al has/is/was the leader of the D. Taking them out for dinner once a week, standing by his teamates when they needed support. You cant replace that for 5.2 mil a year, draft picks, or free agents.

Great idea, poor timing.
                    I think it would be a tragedy if Al left the Broncos....as you so correctly stated. there are certain intangibles such as leadership. being a trusted and respected mentor to younger players that just cannot be taught or replaced with draft picks,$$$$$, or free agents. Al has those leadership qualities. Whether he would be amenable to restructuring his contract in order to stay in Denver we don't know. I realize that football is a business, and there are times when hard choices must be made. But I hope that this hard choice will be one that keeps Al in Denver. Great post and deserving of a CP!

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncomaniac PG
                      I think it would be a tragedy if Al left the Broncos....as you so correctly stated. there are certain intangibles such as leadership. being a trusted and respected mentor to younger players that just cannot be taught or replaced with draft picks,$$$$$, or free agents. Al has those leadership qualities. Whether he would be amenable to restructuring his contract in order to stay in Denver we don't know. I realize that football is a business, and there are times when hard choices must be made. But I hope that this hard choice will be one that keeps Al in Denver. Great post and deserving of a CP!
                      According to Bowlen the new D coaches don't think he is worth the money Denver is paying Wilson. Denver's D has a number of other leaders that come to mind, John Lynch, Champ Bailey to name two that could step up and fill Wilson's shoes. It really surprised me that Bowlen would say that about Al Wilson. It would seem he is using the media to negotiate a lower contract for Al.

New York's doctors said Wilson had a "cervical issue," and he didn't pass his physical. That probably will reduce Wilson's trade value, and it seems likely Denver will ask Wilson to take a pay cut or release him. "I like Al," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said from the NFL annual meeting in Phoenix. "The defensive coaches didn't think his play made it worth what we were paying him."
                      It could be that Bowlen is just trying to get rid of some cap problems and is banking on Al helping out. It could be that Al's injury to his neck when Warren hit him is worse than being reported. It could be a little of both. If Denver released Al for nothing I would be shocked!!! He could come be a Charger any day!!! Show those "defensive coaches " what he is worth.

;);)

Watch out!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X