Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Montrae Holland Expected To Start At Right Guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Montrae Holland Expected To Start At Right Guard?

On Denver's team page on foxsports.com Montrae Holland is listed as the starting RG. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=7 Do they actually talk to the teams before they post these or, since it's the offseason, do they just list the starters according to their own analysis? It seems weird that they would adjust the starting lineup from the last game of the season like that, considering that training camp hasn't even started yet. Cooper Carlisle hasn't signed with anyone yet and could return to the Broncos. You would think that his name would appear as the starting RG.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Originally posted by broncolee
    On Denver's team page on foxsports.com Montrae Holland is listed as the starting RG. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=7 Do they actually talk to the teams before they post these or, since it's the offseason, do they just list the starters according to their own analysis? It seems weird that they would adjust the starting lineup from the last game of the season like that, considering that training camp hasn't even started yet. Cooper Carlisle hasn't signed with anyone yet and could return to the Broncos. You would think that his name would appear as the starting RG.

Other articles that I have read seem to indicate they we're more than willing to lest Cooper walk. Even if re-signs it doesn't look like he would be the presumed starter.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Cooper Carlisle is as good as gone, the front office has made no effort to re-sign him. Couple that with the signing of Holland, the emergence of young guys like Kuper, he wont be on this team next year. As for the starting RG spot, your guess is as good as mine, whatever depth chart they produce is merely guesswork, the job is definitely up for grabs and it'll be up to the best player during training camp. Montrae Holland has to show that for a big guy like him, he can move and get used to our scheme though.
      Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
      http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
        Other articles that I have read seem to indicate they we're more than willing to lest Cooper walk. Even if re-signs it doesn't look like he would be the presumed starter.
        I know that they are willing to let Carlisle walk, but for Holland to be listed as the starter before training camp even begins seems a little weird. I'm curious to know if they go to the teams and request a preliminary depth chart or if they just base it on their own analysis of what they think the depth chart should be based on what a team does during the offseason. If they go to the teams and request a preliminary depth chart, that means the Broncos coaching staff believes Holland is likely going to beat out Chris Kuper for the job. It just seems to me that, unless they actually do talk to the teams first, the starting lineup(during the offseason) on Denver's team page on foxsports.com should pretty much reflect what the lineup was on the last game of the previous season with the exception of obvious changes such as CB where we obviously lost a starter because of a death.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

until such time as this particular page changes, I wouldn't hold much credence in what non-Bronco web sites or otherwise claim are the starters.
          http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=134

I for one am looking forward to seeing how we can improve our O-Line- because although it wasn't dismal, it was ineffective.
          Myers and Kuper:
          I would love to actually see what they can do, and within months we will.

Holland; May or may not beat out either of the Chris's, but the RG spot is wide open. With Nalen being nearly out of gas and likely damaged more often, I would bet that both the Chris's get on the field often for a look. Competition brings out the best in players, and if there is no competition we get less of a player for the dollar and play than could be otherwise.
          I suspect that Nalen will go down this year for several games due to strain or injury, and that will afford either of them the opportunity to get on the field. Unfortunately Center is a "QB" position on the O-Line and we haven't seen enough of the Chris's to say whether or not they are capable of this type of leadership. Hamilton will take that on.

In the end it should be a great battle to watch. I am pulling for the best players being on the field if that means replacing Hamilton I'd be all for that.
          I am not as enamored as some others by his play. It has improved over the years to a point where he is "adequate", but moving him over to Center if/when Nalen goes might help his play out.

Holland being shorter, but heavier and having a few years under his belt may or may not have any advantage over the two Chris's for the guard spot(s) who have been on the roster long enough to learn the system.

Both of the Chris's Dads post on here, and I assume read these threads and may be able to offer more insight into their view on the situation.
          Last edited by Road_Apples; 03-25-2007, 08:37 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Depth Signing, nothing more.
            sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
            Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Apples

I suspect that Nalen will go down this year for several games due to strain or injury.
              I suspect saying a five-time pro bowler who's started nearly every game his entire career....isn't going to go over well on this board.

Comment

those fox sports line up doesnt mean anything

its just what they think is going to go down

so i doubt holland starts unless he beats out kuper in training or something

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                  Depth Signing, nothing more.
                  He's started with New Orleans. He's obviously talented. It'll be good competition for Kuper, who I want to start next year.

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee
                    I know that they are willing to let Carlisle walk, but for Holland to be listed as the starter before training camp even begins seems a little weird. I'm curious to know if they go to the teams and request a preliminary depth chart or if they just base it on their own analysis of what they think the depth chart should be based on what a team does during the offseason. If they go to the teams and request a preliminary depth chart, that means the Broncos coaching staff believes Holland is likely going to beat out Chris Kuper for the job. It just seems to me that, unless they actually do talk to the teams first, the starting lineup(during the offseason) on Denver's team page on foxsports.com should pretty much reflect what the lineup was on the last game of the previous season with the exception of obvious changes such as CB where we obviously lost a starter because of a death.
                    You posted that and I was reading it differently my apologies. Yeah they are making assumption that Holland will be the starter probably because he was in the Big Easy. Kuper will have edge over Holland he has entire year in the system.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Inkana7
                      He's started with New Orleans. He's obviously talented. It'll be good competition for Kuper, who I want to start next year.
                      Same here, for the most part I pull a harder for the guys that we have drafted. But in Holland plays better then he should start in my humble opinion.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by jpc925
                        I suspect saying a five-time pro bowler who's started nearly every game his entire career....isn't going to go over well on this board.
                        Your point is what exactly? That I shouldn't say things that might get the posters on this board upset by my comments? I'm well past that at my age sonny.

The actual point if you cared to read it properly as it was written
                        With Nalen being nearly out of gas and likely damaged more often, I would bet that both the Chris's get on the field often for a look....I suspect that Nalen will go down this year for several games due to strain or injury, and that will afford either of them the opportunity to get on the field.
                        I can make this pretty simple to match up with some readers' comprehension;

Nalen is going into his 13th season as an Offensive Lineman in the NFL.
                        He is not a spring chicken anymore and after that many seasons of beating after bruising, you are going to show some wear.
                        What is the average life expectancy of an Offensive Lineman in the NFL?
                        He has gone since having surgery or a major injury about 4 years AS you age your body gets harder to heal, flex and you get more pounding on already pounded parts of your body. Time is the enemy with Nalen.

I have not mentioned anything whatsoever as to his play quality, but his "liklihood" of the inevitable happening - it is only a matter of time. You can spin that roulette wheel only so many times.

I like Nalen. I think he is a great Center in our system especially. Father time is catching up though and the odds are quite good that he will have an injury that causes him to lose more than a few downs- as usually happens in younger players. Add to that the fact that if he did get hurt, he would be taking that much longer to heal than a younger player. Add it all up and from this point on he is a lot more risky to play every down.

THEREFORE my comment about the Chris's getting an opportunity to play was based on that presumption.

Am I a muse?
                        No.
                        Am I a psychic?
                        No.
                        Am I a highly accurate NFL prognosticator?
                        No.
                        Do I have and use common sense?
                        Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkana7
                          He didnt start

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket
                            He didnt start
                            Wrong, he started 30 out of 52 career games.

Comment

Holland started in New Orleans, but was pretty much benched because he wasn't mobile enough to keep the starting job, and has an injury history. Good depth, decent signing for this year. Not a starter.

Comment

Working...
                              X