Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpe says Lelie must step it up!!!

Article

I'm sure this has been talked about already and there are still a dozen Sharpe threads around. I was wondering what you guys think of this in particular. I have been saying forever that Lelie needs to step it up but now we have Shannon Sharpe calling Ash out so to speak. How much pressure is that? It's very telling that Sharpe decide to comment on that subject first instead of all the other things he could of said when he became an official "talking head."

Benny

Actually this isn't really surprising to me, First of all he is right, Ash does need to step it up(I think he will). Secondly, I expect Sharpe to be over critical of the Broncos to establish credibility as an analyst and not be a "homer". Ala Michael Irvin, Dan Marino and others.

Comment

we have all said this.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI03
        Actually this isn't really surprising to me, First of all he is right, Ash does need to step it up(I think he will). Secondly, I expect Sharpe to be over critical of the Broncos to establish credibility as an analyst and not be a "homer". Ala Michael Irvin, Dan Marino and others.
        I don't really see that quote as being critical of the Broncos. He simply stated what many of us alreadly believe. If the fans can see Ashley needs to step up, I guarantee the players are acutely aware of it.
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003
          we have all said this.

Yeah, I myself have probably started at least 10 threads on it.

Doh!!

I mean 11 threads.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
            Yeah, I myself have probably started at least 10 threads on it.

Doh!!

I mean 11 threads.
            im just saying that its obvious that lelie needs to step up and just because sharpe said it, it does'nt make it any more true.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003
              im just saying that its obvious that lelie needs to step up and just because sharpe said it, it does'nt make it any more true.
              Your right, but it does put that much more pressure on Ash.
              Think about it. One of the greatest players to have ever played is basically singling you out. He could have said alot of other things, but he chose to single out Ash.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                Your right, but it does put that much more pressure on Ash.
                Think about it. One of the greatest players to have ever played is basically singling you out. He could have said alot of other things, but he chose to single out Ash.
                true. good point.

Comment

I'd like to see lelie getting more yards than Smith,, But Smith is still our number 1 and will do great this year...

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

Originally posted by Zack Morris
                    sharpe says this?
                    reeeeaally now?
                    why doesn't lelie just tell everyone he'll step up and then quit?
                    I believe he's waiting for YOU to lead the way.....
                    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                    men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Helderht_
                      I'd like to see Lelie getting more yards than Smith,, But Smith is still our number 1 and will do great this year...
                      The problem is that Smith's abilities are declining and Lelie has been a bit slow to develop. Of the 11 wide receivers drafted in the first two rounds in 2002, 8 have more catches than Lelie so far. While that doesn't make him a bust, it does raise some questions.

Not only does Lelie need to step up, the Broncos need to develop another young reciever. Some think the Madise will be the guy but he hasn't shown much so far. I don't see much potential on the roster, either.

Hate to say it but this position could be a problem for the Broncos this season. I warned last year that this could happen and now it's here.

Comment

Originally posted by Aardwolf
                        Hate to say it but this position could be a problem for the Broncos this season. I warned last year that this could happen and now it's here.
                        But it's still early and some of the young blood could step up and show us that they're the future receivers of the Broncos. I'll wait until after training camp to say that we have a (continued) problem at WR.

I do think last year it was a problem as nobody really did much. Rod was the best of the bunch but still seemed to be low in his normal production. Let's see what another year for Plummer does w/ the receivers.

Comment

STOP MAKING THREADS ABOUT SHANNON! j/p.
                          I think Lelie, needs and will step up, it's his third year and he has a lot of talent. If Jake stays healthy he's gonna be good.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aardwolf
                            The problem is that Smith's abilities are declining and Lelie has been a bit slow to develop. Of the 11 wide receivers drafted in the first two rounds in 2002, 8 have more catches than Lelie so far. While that doesn't make him a bust, it does raise some questions.
                            Actually, 6 of those receivers have more catches than Lelie and only 2 of those have averaged more than 6 catches beyond Lelie's 36 per season. But there's no doubting that, last year in particular, Lelie did not live up to his potential. He better start now or it will be a long season.

On the bright side, Lelie is already putting out a lot more effort to improve this offseason. At least the mental side of his game is improving. Now we just need the on-field aspect to reflect that.
                            "You can't take the sky from me..."
                            ------
                            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I for one will be really suprised if Lelie doesn't surpass Rod Smith as Denver's primary reciever by the end of the year.

He's got a lot of talent, was a first round draft pick, has had two years to learn the offensive scheme, has a talented QB behind scrimmage, and is now (with Portis gone) the FASTEST player on the team.
                              He's already well aware of the pressure that's on him. Shanahan criticized his performance at the end of last season. He knows he's EXPECTED to play better and he know's it's his time. That's why he's started working out earlier than everyone else this off season. Denver expects big results from him and most of all, he expects it of himself.

Just you wait, if defenses are not already scheming aginst Lelie as a legitimate threat in Denver's passing game, he's going to take thier secondaries to the cleaners!

Go #85!

Comment

Working...
                              X