No announcement yet.

Okay this is ridiculous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stupid rule, let them celabrate.I hate that they cant celabrate any more, its a game, when our team does somthing good we stand up and cheer, why cant the players? once again, its a game, not a buisness meeting.
    sigpic

Comment

FOX has robots simulating football players on its pre and post game shows and commercial breaks. One can only wonder if it's indicative of the NFL's front office initiative to remove the emotional element from the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank24
        i like it. i work as a shipping manager at an offroad shop; i don't spike my tape gun every time i succesfully package an order.

i'm tired of seeing celebrations after every play. not just on offense, but defenders dancing after making a standard (or even ugly/lucky) tackles.

just do your job, and celebrate when you actually do something extraordinary.
        yeah I tried that, I work for the cable company out here in NJ, and every time I save a customer from Verizon I spiked my 7/16" wrench. Doesn't look too cool. But guys celebrating when their team is down by like 30 in the last 5 mins of the game is just insane. Everybody wants to make ESPN
        #swapping

Comment

according to the NCAA college rules, spiking the football is a 15yds penalty for taunting

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank24
            i like it. i work as a shipping manager at an offroad shop; i don't spike my tape gun every time i succesfully package an order.

i'm tired of seeing celebrations after every play. not just on offense, but defenders dancing after making a standard (or even ugly/lucky) tackles.

just do your job, and celebrate when you actually do something extraordinary.
            what!! i would spike the tape gun!! they have every right to spike the ball in the end zone, football players have been doing it for decades! to many rules it takes away from the game!
            GO ANGELS!!!!!!! signed torii hunter!!!

[

denver will go 7-9 this year and 12-4 next year and a 14-2 the following year and superbowl appearance by 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117
              Also Wednesday, the owners:

-- approved a 5-yard penalty for players spiking the ball or throwing it up in the air on the field after a play;

That is just dumb. Big deal if they spike it! If somebody just caught a first down on 3rd and 23 after being smashed between a safety and a linebacker, they're going to have some serious adrenaline pumping through their body. So now you're telling me if they stand up and spike or throw the ball in the air, they don't get that first down? That's just stupid.
              It's not stupid. What's stupid is everytime a WR gets a 6 yards reception he has to make a show of it.

The main idea behind this is that if it's a completed pass down field the clock is running and if the WR gets up and spikes the ball it just makes the ref's job that much tougher because they have to go chase down the ball and get it in play.

These WRs need to learn to act like they have a little class. Why in the world would a wr spike the ball after a reception anyway?? Hand the ball back to the ref and get your ass back in the huddle.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey
                i like it because they're delaying the game, and it's a delay of game penalty

I agree with davey it is an pointless delay that should have been a penalty a long time ago.

:salute:

sig by Broncofancam may he REST IN PEACE

Thanks for the sig VULCAN
                R.I.P. Darrent :salute:R.I.P. Damien

Comment

NFL = No Fun League

Its a game. Yes, its a huge business. But its still a game. The game is what matters, the fun, the entertainment. If a player chooses to hand the ball to the ref, fantastic. Classy. If a player chooses to do a jig and spike the ball after a first down, awesome. If he wants to make a snow angel on the ground, sweet. If he wants to propose to a cheerleader, we should be happy for the couple and wish we had enough money to pull a cheerleader ourselves If you did not want to see him do it, stop him from making that play. Or, the next time he is coming across the middle to convert a third down you separate him from the ball and show that you do not appreciate being shown up. Its a game. Its played with a lot of emotion, a lot of adrenaline, and a lot of testosterone. Let the players play

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket
                    I bus tables for a living (16 years old )

One time i spiked a cup after i bussed a table of 16 people by myself
                    ROFL. That's hilarious!

On to the topic. I'm actually glad to see this new rule in effect. Needless celebrations outside of scoring are just a waste of time and are completely classless.
                    The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

I never liked the spike after a play on Field. End zone ya go for it....

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein
                        yeah I tried that, I work for the cable company out here in NJ, and every time I save a customer from Verizon I spiked my 7/16" wrench. Doesn't look too cool. But guys celebrating when their team is down by like 30 in the last 5 mins of the game is just insane. Everybody wants to make ESPN
                        ah, no way. spike a wrench and it makes that sweet
                        'spitang-changalang'
                        noise.

it's an offroad truck shop i work at, so i DO spike wrenches all the time.. but i'm the shipping manager, so i don't have to act professional when wrenching!

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
                        We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

Comment

B.s.

Originally posted by NVBroncfan
                          I think its a good idea. These men are professionals it's not too much to ask them to act like it.
                          These men are animals, let them act like it. As long as it's not delay of game let 'em spike it all they want. These are the best athletes in the world, they can do what ever the hell they want. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBroncos84
                            NFL = No Fun League

Its a game. Yes, its a huge business. But its still a game. The game is what matters, the fun, the entertainment. If a player chooses to hand the ball to the ref, fantastic. Classy. If a player chooses to do a jig and spike the ball after a first down, awesome. If he wants to make a snow angel on the ground, sweet. If he wants to propose to a cheerleader, we should be happy for the couple and wish we had enough money to pull a cheerleader ourselves If you did not want to see him do it, stop him from making that play. Or, the next time he is coming across the middle to convert a third down you separate him from the ball and show that you do not appreciate being shown up. Its a game. Its played with a lot of emotion, a lot of adrenaline, and a lot of testosterone. Let the players play

First of all, the rule only partains to spikes OUTSIDE of the Endzone!

Second of all, this topic comes up every year. If I had a dime for everytime I heard/read that old "No Fun League" cliche I'd be rich. Rules like this simply draw a line and allow officials to maintain the respectability of the contest. If the egomaniacs on the field were not reigned in the NFL would cross the line to Pro Westling (it's not about the game it's all about chest ponding and ranting!) Maybe after that WR makes a 26 yard catch for a first down and gets pounded by safety and a corner, he should get up, spike the ball, do the over emphasized first down signal and then grab a microphone and do a long rant in his best Hulk Hogan voice calling out the defense. If the game isn't entertaining enough for you than maybe specticles such as this would peak your interests. It certainly has gone a long way for making Pro Wrestling one of the most respected sports in the US.

It's called sportsmanship! And since very few athletes are taught or inherently have a sence of sportsmanship anymore, the various Leagues feel the need to legislate it. Since they can't let the refs interpret what is and is not exceptable the rules have to be black and white. That means because some dumbasses go to far in their "look me, love me" celebrations everyone has to be restricted from doing anything that could be construed as inappropriate or unsportsmanlike. If the players would check their ego-maniacal attitudes at the door and just play the game that they are paid millions for, none of this would be necessary.
                            "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
                            - Mythbusters

"Go America... Go Broncos"
                            - Stan, South Park

I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.
                            - Me

God Bless the United States of America!

Comment

I had no idea that we had so many uneducated people around here.

The whole "delay of game" arguement is completely ridiculous. If you actually watch the game you would notice that half the time the player tries to "hand" the ref the ball it never gets to him. 90% of time the ball is changed after the play because the line judge is responsible to marking the line of scrimmage, and he will use a ball boy to get a new ball. Even if the player was to throw the ball into the stands it would not have any effect on the pace of the game.

The other point that you are missing is that this is an extremely emotional game. It doesn't matter if you killing the other team, or getting killed yourself. This game should always be played with emotion. In fact we get upset with players that appear to play "emotionless."

Comment

Originally posted by Wigglesworth
                                First of all, the rule only partains to spikes OUTSIDE of the Endzone!

Second of all, this topic comes up every year. If I had a dime for everytime I heard/read that old "No Fun League" cliche I'd be rich. Rules like this simply draw a line and allow officials to maintain the respectability of the contest. If the egomaniacs on the field were not reigned in the NFL would cross the line to Pro Westling (it's not about the game it's all about chest ponding and ranting!) Maybe after that WR makes a 26 yard catch for a first down and gets pounded by safety and a corner, he should get up, spike the ball, do the over emphasized first down signal and then grab a microphone and do a long rant in his best Hulk Hogan voice calling out the defense. If the game isn't entertaining enough for you than maybe specticles such as this would peak your interests. It certainly has gone a long way for making Pro Wrestling one of the most respected sports in the US.

It's called sportsmanship! And since very few athletes are taught or inherently have a sence of sportsmanship anymore, the various Leagues feel the need to legislate it. Since they can't let the refs interpret what is and is not exceptable the rules have to be black and white. That means because some dumbasses go to far in their "look me, love me" celebrations everyone has to be restricted from doing anything that could be construed as inappropriate or unsportsmanlike. If the players would check their ego-maniacal attitudes at the door and just play the game that they are paid millions for, none of this would be necessary.

I respectfully disagree. I am all for sportsmanship, but I think the way they are trying to control these players is absurd. I do not understand your linking this with Pro Wrestling however. I am a fan of both, and that just makes no sense to me, there is no similarity between the two. As for the delay of game stuff that has been mentioned, the play clock starts at the end of a play so if a player spikes the ball its not really delaying anything. The refs might have to go retrieve it, but the play clock is still running. Plus there are officials on the sideline whose sole purpose is to have a ball handy to throw onto the field. A player making a play and getting on a microphone to taunt his opponents is just going too far, its an over exaggeration.

Over legislating the game is a much worse sin than players displaying emotion. This goes back to my last posts primary point, this is a game. Its the same game we all grew up playing in our backyards and out in the street with our friends. If the expansion of the league and the business aspects influence the way the game is played than that is what we should be concerned about. Allow the players to make thier own distinctions over what is classy and respectable and what is not. There are already some ground rules and lines that a player cannot cross, but spiking a ball or giving a first down gesture are a part of the game
                                Last edited by GoBroncos84; 03-29-2007, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X