Okay this is ridiculous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cramdog2
    I had no idea that we had so many uneducated people around here.

The whole "delay of game" arguement is completely ridiculous. If you actually watch the game you would notice that half the time the player tries to "hand" the ref the ball it never gets to him. 90% of time the ball is changed after the play because the line judge is responsible to marking the line of scrimmage, and he will use a ball boy to get a new ball. Even if the player was to throw the ball into the stands it would not have any effect on the pace of the game.

The other point that you are missing is that this is an extremely emotional game. It doesn't matter if you killing the other team, or getting killed yourself. This game should always be played with emotion. In fact we get upset with players that appear to play "emotionless."
    Exactly...

Comment

NFL.

No Fun League.

Completely rubbish.
      Last edited by TheWookieeBronco; 03-29-2007, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBroncos84
        I respectfully disagree. I am all for sportsmanship, but I think the way they are trying to control these players is absurd. I do not understand your linking this with Pro Wrestling however. I am a fan of both, and that just makes no sense to me, there is no similarity between the two. As for the delay of game stuff that has been mentioned, the play clock starts at the end of a play so if a player spikes the ball its not really delaying anything. The refs might have to go retrieve it, but the play clock is still running. Plus there are officials on the sideline whose sole purpose is to have a ball handy to throw onto the field. A player making a play and getting on a microphone to taunt his opponents is just going too far, its an over exaggeration.

Over legislating the game is a much worse sin than players displaying emotion. This goes back to my last posts primary point, this is a game. Its the same game we all grew up playing in our backyards and out in the street with our friends. If the expansion of the league and the business aspects influence the way the game is played than that is what we should be concerned about. Allow the players to make thier own distinctions over what is classy and respectable and what is not. There are already some ground rules and lines that a player cannot cross, but spiking a ball or giving a first down gesture are a part of the game
        There is a difference between being emotional and being an A-hole. Some players have no idea where that line is so the league has to define it for everyone!

Also, I don't get to make distinctions over what is classy and respectable at the job I'm paid for, and I won't make in my lifetime what these guys make in a 17 week work period!

As for the Pro Wrestling analogy, all I am saying is that Pro Wrestling isn't even defined as a sport anymore (not saying those aren't guys athletes). Pro Wrestling sold out to all of the drama and celebratory bullcrap a long time ago and now the competitve aspect has been drowned out by the showmanship. If the NFL doesn't draw lines for on field player conduct the game will become a free-for-all of one-upsmanship and the integrity of the game will be lost.

How are the players supposed to make and enforce distictions on sportsmanship? That's not their job. Their job is to play the game. It's the job of the owners and league officials to define the game and market it so that they can make money (and the players can make their money). Emotion is key to the game, I agree. But if your job is to tackle the ball carrier you don't need to dance around like an idiot every time you perform your job. Act like you've been there and will be there again.

Like it or not, the players are employees. The NFL is not about the players, it's about the game. And if protecting the integrity of the game means restricting the misc. actions of the players on the field, then so be it. If the players don't like it they can go play in that other super successful pro football league (oh wait...). If the fans aren't entertained enough by the game itself, then there is always realtiy TV. There's a plethora of emotional outbursts there.
        "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
        - Mythbusters

"Go America... Go Broncos"
        - Stan, South Park

I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.
        - Me

God Bless the United States of America!

Comment

Originally posted by Wigglesworth
          There is a difference between being emotional and being an A-hole. Some players have no idea where that line is so the league has to define it for everyone!

Also, I don't get to make distinctions over what is classy and respectable at the job I'm paid for, and I won't make in my lifetime what these guys make in a 17 week work period!

As for the Pro Wrestling analogy, all I am saying is that Pro Wrestling isn't even defined as a sport anymore (not saying those aren't guys athletes). Pro Wrestling sold out to all of the drama and celebratory bullcrap a long time ago and now the competitve aspect has been drowned out by the showmanship. If the NFL doesn't draw lines for on field player conduct the game will become a free-for-all of one-upsmanship and the integrity of the game will be lost.

How are the players supposed to make and enforce distictions on sportsmanship? That's not their job. Their job is to play the game. It's the job of the owners and league officials to define the game and market it so that they can make money (and the players can make their money). Emotion is key to the game, I agree. But if your job is to tackle the ball carrier you don't need to dance around like an idiot every time you perform your job. Act like you've been there and will be there again.

Like it or not, the players are employees. The NFL is not about the players, it's about the game. And if protecting the integrity of the game means restricting the misc. actions of the players on the field, then so be it. If the players don't like it they can go play in that other super successful pro football league (oh wait...). If the fans aren't entertained enough by the game itself, then there is always realtiy TV. There's a plethora of emotional outbursts there.

very good post. i'd cp ya, but i just did on another thread

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
          We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Wigglesworth

Pro wrestling never was a sport, there is no competitve aspect. Different cup of tea

Aside from that, I am just saying I do not like them over regulating things. The game is fine how it is. I do not think someone dancing or celebrating hurts the integrity. That opinion is subjective, and people will disagree. To each their own. I just hate that they are making a rule about it because I think its uncalled for
            Last edited by GoBroncos84; 03-29-2007, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117
              Also Wednesday, the owners:

-- approved a 5-yard penalty for players spiking the ball or throwing it up in the air on the field after a play;

That is just dumb. Big deal if they spike it! If somebody just caught a first down on 3rd and 23 after being smashed between a safety and a linebacker, they're going to have some serious adrenaline pumping through their body. So now you're telling me if they stand up and spike or throw the ball in the air, they don't get that first down? That's just stupid.

I believe it would be a penalty after the play is over so it would be 1st and 15

Comment

Originally posted by Cramdog2
                I had no idea that we had so many uneducated people around here.

The whole "delay of game" arguement is completely ridiculous. If you actually watch the game you would notice that half the time the player tries to "hand" the ref the ball it never gets to him. 90% of time the ball is changed after the play because the line judge is responsible to marking the line of scrimmage, and he will use a ball boy to get a new ball. Even if the player was to throw the ball into the stands it would not have any effect on the pace of the game.

The other point that you are missing is that this is an extremely emotional game. It doesn't matter if you killing the other team, or getting killed yourself. This game should always be played with emotion. In fact we get upset with players that appear to play "emotionless."
                If a player makes a 5 yard catch gets up does a little dance and then spikes the ball sending it 20 yards downfield one of the officials who is probably 100 years old has to go track the ball down pick it up and either put it in play or get it to the sideline. It's just stupid, and a ME first type thing to do.

The rule should be sure go ahead and spike the ball but afterwards you have to go get it and hand it to an official.

Comment

Working...
                X