Johnson on Bailey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson on Bailey?

I was just wondering.... If the Raiders do happen to take Calvin Johnson with the first pick this year, do you think he will end up being the starter? If he is how well do you think Champ Bailey will fare against him? In his rookie year he probably won't do much, but I'm hoping the Raiders can become an 8-8 team in a couple years, and Bailey is still in the form he is now so I can watch these two battle it out on the field. There's nothing better than watching an amazing reciever battle an amazing cornerback.

i don't think bailey has a chance of covering johnson. we will need to triplecover him with bailey, bly, and sam brandon. that way we can limit him to only three touchdowns per game

Comment

And to be able to watch Johnson get frustrated like Moss does because Al Davis thinks all you need for offense is a good fantasy roster... He keeps going after these kinds of guys, only to see it fizzle because his front 5 can't block long enough to make the passing game work.
      I know what your point is, and it is great to see classic one-on-ones, so this could be good, but only if the Raiders' front office gets away from the bombs away is the only way to win a football game attitude.

Al Davis LIVE FOREVER!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkPanda
        i don't think bailey has a chance of covering johnson. we will need to triplecover him with bailey, bly, and sam brandon. that way we can limit him to only three touchdowns per game
        haha

thats pretty funny

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkPanda
          Hah... I don't think so...

We'll need Asante from New England and maybe even Mathis from Jaxonville... Then I think we can drop him down to the 2-3 TD range per game.

Comment

Champ will tear him up like all of the other star recievers. Plus Wideouts don't really come into their own for a couple years anyway.

That and it should be "Bailey on Johnson" not "Johnson on Bailey."

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

calvin wont do anything on champ unless champ is hurt. so calvin might get a few 5 yard receptions but he wont be a problem.
              GO ANGELS!!!!!!! signed torii hunter!!!

[

denver will go 7-9 this year and 12-4 next year and a 14-2 the following year and superbowl appearance by 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117
                I'm hoping the Raiders can become an 8-8 team in a couple years.
                What Bronco fan wants the Raiders w/ a 8-8 record? I hope they never have anything close to a winning season ever again. On a side note, Champ is too mental for rookies. It's not about speed, that helps only in a cover error, i.e. T.O. on that 1 play a few years back or CJ a few years back also. But When Champ revamped his mind game the results were insane, 10 ints against the fewest passes thrown towards a #1 corner. Calvin might look great in college, but u need to be legendary in the NFL to give Champ a run.
                #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcow
                  Champ will tear him up like all of the other star recievers. Plus Wideouts don't really come into their own for a couple years anyway.

That and it should be "Bailey on Johnson" not "Johnson on Bailey."
                  Did you see Moss' rookie year?

Johnson has that speed, slightly taller, better work ethic. He has the chance to have Moss' rookie season x 10 if he is in this explosive offense that Lane Kiffin is promoting.

Against Champ, it depends on the offense. If it is a smooth running, efficient offense, I can still see Champ holding his own except against balls they have to jump for. Even then, Champ is smart enough to make adjustments and not try to outleap Johnson but to knock it out after he catches it. Calvin will come to the NFL as a hungry player who wants to establish his name. Champ will have his moments, Calvin will have his, in the end it will be a push. Or it will be a slight edge in favor of Champ for the early years, Calvin in the later years IF he is the workhorse studen we hear he is.

I am basing this on a battle I saw prior, Charles Woodson vs. Randy Moss. I believe this game was in 1999. Moss had a couple of plays and Woodson had a couple of stops, At the time, the two were at the top of their games. The most amazing thing I saw was Moss outleap Woodson for a ball, turn and race down the sidelines, five yards ahead of Woodson for a sure 80 yard TD. Woodson caught up to him and Moss ONLY had a 50+ yard game and the Vikings settled for a FG.

Champ is a vet and the Raiders offense needs to prove something, so I would give the edge to Champoo Daily.
                  Last edited by DevilSpawn; 03-31-2007, 04:26 AM.

Comment

If the Raiders take Calvin they still won't have a QB
                    "Brady... drops back... sees receiver wide open... and throws it away"

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein
                      What Bronco fan wants the Raiders w/ a 8-8 record? I hope they never have anything close to a winning season ever again. On a side note, Champ is too mental for rookies. It's not about speed, that helps only in a cover error, i.e. T.O. on that 1 play a few years back or CJ a few years back also. But When Champ revamped his mind game the results were insane, 10 ints against the fewest passes thrown towards a #1 corner. Calvin might look great in college, but u need to be legendary in the NFL to give Champ a run.

The only positive I see to them going 8-8 is for draft pick purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein
                        The sole purpose of this was because I wanted to see some great competition between these two guys. As long as the raiders are 1-15 or 2-14, we will never really get any of that because Johnson wouldn't get any balls.

Not because I want them to actually be GOOD or anything. If they don't get CJ I'd love a 0-16 season

Comment

If the Raiders take Johnson with the first pick of the draft then I say Bailey's chances are rather good because that means their QB will still suck.
                          "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117
                            I was just wondering.... If the Raiders do happen to take Calvin Johnson with the first pick this year, do you think he will end up being the starter? If he is how well do you think Champ Bailey will fare against him? In his rookie year he probably won't do much, but I'm hoping the Raiders can become an 8-8 team in a couple years, and Bailey is still in the form he is now so I can watch these two battle it out on the field. There's nothing better than watching an amazing reciever battle an amazing cornerback.
                            How does Bailey fare against all the star WRs in the NFL. Last year he covered Moss, Harrison, and Chad Johnson and pretty much shut them all down. This guy will be no different.

Comment

CJ has all the tangibles yes, i think he will be a great wr in the NFL.

But did anyone actually see most of his games on college?

Calvin Johnson was the most exciting and the most Frusterating player in the yellow jackets team last year. I am not hating on the guy, but he was a stud when he went against zone defenses or low calibre ACC teams. But did anyone see him in tough games? Rivalry Games? When he played against good programs they would know to put him in man, and bump him. He was practically eliminated from the game. Here are some examples i can remember.

06'

Georgia: 2 Receptions 13 Yards 0 Touchdowns
                              Miami: 5 Receptions 68 Yards 1 Touchdown
                              UNC: 3 Receptions 13 Yards 0 Touchdowns

05'

Auburn: 4 Receptions 66 Yards 1 Touchdown
                              Clemson: 4 Receptions 46 Yards 0 Touchdowns
                              Miami: 6 Receptions 89 Yards 0 Touchdowns
                              Georgia: 2 Receptions 14 Yards 1 Touchdown
                              Utah: 2 Receptions 19 Yards 0 Touchdowns

Now i could go back to 04 but i dont think its fair to judge him by his freshman stats. It is worthy to note that he started all three years. But it can be clearly seen that he seems to go into "invisible mode" and just doesnt show up to some games because they other team shuts him down in man. Most of his td's came not from stretching the field but from outjumping others in the endzone. This guy is athletic and could have benefited from a better qb no doubt, but would he be getting a good qb to throw to him with the Raiders? And would he be going up against alot of physical corners? (Bailey, Bly, Jammer, Law...) To me it seems like he is just graduating to the next level but with the exact same situation.

That situation didnt please him there, and i doubt he would like to be in it again. I dont mind if the Raiders take him, it will take him some years of coaching to play consistantly against NFL corners, and it will take the Raiders getting a down-the-field qb. Neither one looks to be happening all to soon.

I watched his games and he is going to be good, but he isnt a one man team. I just dont see him being the Savior of the Raiders. He will be about as ineficient as Moss is there, only without the bad attitude.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X