Why does Shanahan get an extension??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Shanahan get an extension??

Give me more than one reason why the Denver Broncos should keep Mike Shanahan??? He hasn't proven to be the "Offensive Genius" he was being called since John Elway retired. His play calling sucks, that has been proven since Gary Kubiak left, they don't seem to take the chances on offense they did before. It's like he's afraid to move the football. Almost comparable to Dan Reeves' style of conservative offense. We have talent.... use it. Another thing.. D.J. Williams will not even come close to holding the same caliber that Al Wilson did while he was here... even in his "Natural" position at MLB if they choose to move him there. If it wasn't bad enough that we released Al Wilson, we lost Cooper Carlisle to the Chokeland Faiders too?? I can already see how the draft will go....crappy as always...it's really too bad that we have the worst FO when it comes to drafting. This really is Friday the 13th. Oh well, I will wake up in the morning and still be a Broncos fan, although a very discouraged one.

ORANGE CRUSH!!!

Uhh, you're welcome to leave if ya want.
    sigpic

Comment

Wilson is replaceable.

I think Shanny might have something up his sleeve...

Comment

* One of four coaches who have spent at least 10 seasons with one team, and in that period have had more world championship seasons than losing campaigns: Paul Brown with Cleveland (17 seasons, three championships, one losing season, Hall of Fame member), Joe Gibbs with Washington (14 seasons, three championships, two losing seasons, Hall of Fame member), John Madden with Oakland (10 seasons, one championship, no losing seasons, Hall of Fame member), and Mike Shanahan with the Broncos (11 seasons, two championships, one losing season).

* Posted the most wins in pro football history in a three-year period (46 in 1996-98).

* Won the most postseason games in history over a two-year period (seven, 1997-98).

* Been undefeated for three consecutive regular seasons (1996-98) at home, just the second team ever to be undefeated and untied at home in three consecutive years.

* In 2004, he joined the exclusive club of head coaches to post 100 wins in his first 10 seasons with one club, finishing the campaign and decade tied for fourth on this ultra-impressive list of 12 coaches, six of whom are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

* With Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Jimmy Johnson and Bill Belichick as the only six coaches to win back-to-back Super Bowls.

* He is the first coach in history to win two Super Bowl titles in his first four years coaching a team, and he is the only coach to have directed two different teams to a 500-point season (the 1998 Broncos scored 501 points, and Shanahan's 1994 San Francisco offense scored 505). The 500-point mark has only been reached eight times overall in pro football history.

* Highest winning percentage in Denver history(.646).

* Shanahan is one of six coaches in pro football history to post four wins in one postseason along with Tom Flores, Brian Billick, W. Brian Ross, Bill Cowher and Tony Dungy.

* Only coach with seven postseason wins in a two-year period.

* The all-time high of 636 points in a season came from the 1994 World Champion San Francisco 49ers, for whom Shanahan was the offensive coordinator.

* During his NFL career, Shanahan has been a part of teams that have played in 10 AFC or NFC Championship Games, in addition to his six Super Bowl appearances, five with Denver and the Super Bowl XXIX game with San Francisco.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos316
          Give me more than one reason why the Denver Broncos should keep Mike Shanahan??? He hasn't proven to be the "Offensive Genius" he was being called since John Elway retired. His play calling sucks, that has been proven since Gary Kubiak left, they don't seem to take the chances on offense they did before. It's like he's afraid to move the football. Almost comparable to Dan Reeves' style of conservative offense. We have talent.... use it. Another thing.. D.J. Williams will not even come close to holding the same caliber that Al Wilson did while he was here... even in his "Natural" position at MLB if they choose to move him there. If it wasn't bad enough that we released Al Wilson, we lost Cooper Carlisle to the Chokeland Faiders too?? I can already see how the draft will go....crappy as always...it's really too bad that we have the worst FO when it comes to drafting. This really is Friday the 13th. Oh well, I will wake up in the morning and still be a Broncos fan, although a very discouraged one.
          You just might be on to something here.

Comment

The key on the computer with the little arrow that goes down and then left, and often has the letter E-N-T-E-R over the little arrow, actually works. You need to use it sometimes, because it makes posts much easier to read.

What I did read in your above post and other's in the Wilson released thread are simply bad conclusions.

He got an extension because his 'teams' have been some of the most dominant in football during his tenure as head coach. Why don't you check the win loss records for the last 11 or 12 years, since Shanahan has been head coach? How about checking to see how many losing seasons Shanny has had compared to the other 31 teams?

If you are new to following football and/or the Broncos, you should probably do some research before posting such strong comments.
            The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

I don't know why you're so negative towards the Broncos and Mike Shanahan. He's consistantly put up winning records each year. The Broncos have the best record in the NFL since Shananhan became their coach.
              As far of Al Wilson goes, we're all sorry to see him go, and he will be missed. But he did have some injury problems, which now seem to be worse then we all thought, and his salary was more than he was worth. Hopefully this loss will make room for either Jenkins or Rogers at DT.
              Cooper Carlisle underachieved last year and I'm not to disapointed. Kuper has shown alot of promise and he should make out to be a good guard in the Broncos system.

Comment

Because he earned it.
                Helping rock the Stadium on game day!!!

Comment

Just who do suppose you replace him with? Mike Shanahan is the best coach in the league(imo). He will return this team to greatness.
                  [

Comment

for
                    1....if his play calling sucked it wasnt because he isnt a offensive genius...its because plummer totaly collapsed under the pressure of a talented rookie behind him
                    2. our entrire offensive scheme has been weaken over the last couple years from teams figureing out plummers weakness

3, Now we have talent !! before we had a one dimensional qb

4, shannahans one of the leagues best coaches...name someone we could have better...that or shut the hell up...either way

5. you have no grasp of football knowledge...please learn...the kiddie pool is that way ------->
                    sigpic
                    when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

1. If I'm not mistaken, I recently read something that said Shanahan has the best winning record in the regular season as a head coach.

It may have been that the Broncos have the best regular season record since Shanahan became the head coach in Denver.

Either way, the Broncos have won a lot of games with Shanahan.

2. He coached two Super Bowl victories.

3. He drafted Jay Cutler. When your head coach drafts a QB with that kind of potential, you give that coach a chance to build an offense that takes advantage of that QBs abilities. Based on the moves made by Shanahan this offseason, he's doing exactly that.

Al is gone because of the salary cap and his injuries. Those things happen.

So what if Carlisle went to Chokeland? Who cares? It happens. It's not like Carlisle is an all time great OG. Chokeland didn't all of a sudden become a Super Bowl contender because they got Cooper Carlisle. There have been plenty of people on these boards that have said that they are happy about Carlisle leaving. The Faiders said that they were switching to zone blocking. It only makes sense that they would go for an offensive lineman that is familiar and comfortable with that system. It makes sense for Carlisle to go to a team that utilizes zone blocking. What do expect the Broncos to do? Re-sign Carlisle just so he won't become a Faider? That would be silly.

While Shanahan hasn't exactly been a draft genius, Ted Sundquist has done a good job of helping Shanahan have two good drafts in a row. There's no reason to believe that we won't get some good players in this year's draft.

Besides, who else is there to coach the Broncos? As long as Shanahan keeps producing a winning team, how is Bowlen supposed to find a coach he likes better? 9-7 may not be a great record, but it is a winning record. And Shanahan has produced a lot more winning seasons than losing or 8-8 seasons.
                      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                      You Mad Bro?
                      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Ya Know Elway never won a Super Bowl before Shanahan came to Denver.

People keep saying Shanahan Can't win a Super Bowl without Elway but never think of it the other way around.

Like the guy who started this thread.

Comment

Okay, let's play the game:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Denver Broncos Head Coach Mike Shanahan has signed a three-year contract extension through the 2011 season, Broncos President and Chief Executive Officer Pat Bowlen announced Monday.

Shanahan in 2007 begins his 13th season as head coach of the Broncos, a franchise that has posted the NFL’s best regular-season record (123-69 / .641) since he was named head coach on Jan. 31, 1995. The second-longest tenured head coach with his current team in the NFL, Shanahan’s 123 regular-season wins with the Broncos mark the 11th most by one coach with one team in NFL history.

The 54-year-old has led Denver to two Super Bowl victories (XXXII in 1997 and XXXIII in 1998), seven trips to the postseason and nine winning seasons in 12 years as its head coach. Shanahan has a 131-74 (.639) overall record as the Broncos’ head coach that includes an 8-5 mark in the postseason, and he has helped Denver lead the NFL in points (4,759), total yards (69,186) and rushing yards (27,174) since 1995.

In addition, Shanahan is one of only three coaches in the 87-year history of professional football with more championships than losing seasons with one team among those with at least 10 years with that club. Shanahan (2 championships, 1 losing season with Denver) joins Pro Football Hall of Fame coaches Paul Brown (3 championships, 1 losing season with Cleveland) and John Madden (1 championship, 0 losing seasons with Oakland) with that distinction.

Shanahan also in 2006 tied for the third-most regular-season wins (125) by a coach through his first 200 games in the Super Bowl era (since 1966). His 108 overall victories with Denver through the 2004 season tied for the fourth most by a coach with one team through his first 10 seasons with that club.

Shanahan, who was the Los Angeles Raiders’ head coach from 1988-89, enters the 2007 season ranked 17th in NFL history (third among active coaches) in career victories with 139. His career head coaching record is 139-86 (.618) and includes a 131-81 (.618) mark in the regular season and an 8-5 (.615) record in the postseason.

The 2007 season marks Shanahan’s 20th on the Broncos’ coaching staff, tying him with former assistant Joe Collier (1969-88) for the most years of service on Denver’s coaching staff. Shanahan spent seven seasons as an assistant coach with the Broncos before he was named head coach, serving as offensive coordinator (1985-87, ’91), quarterbacks coach (1989-90) and wide receivers coach (1984) for the franchise.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=2&c=634056
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fortunately the Denver front office knows more about football than some...
                          The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

As I said in the other thread where you were ranting mindlessly:

I know you are angry, but yell into a pillow or something, but don't bother us with your tantrums!!!

And PLEASE don't start threads that you KNOW people are just going to flame you for......you need attention or something?

And as far as your "comments" about Shanahan, I think everyone else has done a perfect job of explaining to you why your post is, and I am trying to be nice here, moronic........

And a word of advise (assuming you care):

If you knew anything about the Bronco's or this board, you would know that Shanahan pretty much has the same level of respect in the organization and these boards as John Elway does, so you should be careful how you choose your words when criticizing either, because you'll be treading on hallowed ground. Both these men deserve a great deal of respect from anyone who calls themselves a true Bronco fan.........

Comment

OMFG, he let Al Wilson go! He suxorzzzzz!!!!!!!111111!11!

Mike Shanahan is a great coach. He's sure as hell better than anything else out there.

You'll get over your depression shortly.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Working...
                              X