Bronco Daily Fun Facts And Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
    loved the trivia today - first one in a long time I would have gotten without trying to google. I like Frerotte.... I liked him better than Griese myself .... he went through several trades. I remember him playing well with Moss and the vikings for a little while too....

Oh and I'll never forget that playoff game he led us to ... but also because of Sharpe and the ravens ... everytime Sharpe made a huge play, he would run by Shannyhan to rub it in something hard, then what was it the next year or two he was back with Broncos
    Fun memories! Mike Anderson was a beast that year too.

Who knew we'd have to wait 15 more years. :lombardi:
    To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

• Not exactly earth shattering, but I will kick off August 1st with a trivia post.

The floor is always open for your trivia questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
        Fun memories! Mike Anderson was a beast that year too.

Who knew we'd have to wait 15 more years. :lombardi:
        Mike Anderson was "Larry Canada 2.0". And I bet you can count on one hand the number of people on this Board who remember Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
          Mike Anderson was "Larry Canada 2.0". And I bet you can count on one hand the number of people on this Board who remember Canada.
          Yikes....are you telling me my country disappeared???!!!

Comment

Called "The Mail Man" by Red Miller because he always delivered especially on third down.

Comment

I remember Larry Canada. What I didn't remember was that he also played for the Denver Gold in the USFL.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
                I remember Larry Canada. What I didn't remember was that he also played for the Denver Gold in the USFL.
                I see what you did there....turned a fact into trivia.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  I see what you did there....turned a fact into trivia.
                  Well, this is "Fun Facts and Trivia" :thumb:
                  sigpic

Comment

• Today’s trivia...........

Random fact of the day​

In 2000, QB Brian Griese led the NFL with a passer rating of 102.9. As a result of his effective play, he earned an invite to the Pro Bowl. This was a significant improvement over his rating of 75.6 the previous year, which was his first as a starter.

Random quote of the day​

When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean.
                    —Lin-Chi

This month in Broncos history

August 6, 1995 - Terrell Davis leapt up the depth chart after clobbering San Francisco’s Tyronne Drakeford on a second-half kickoff.

August 16, 2011 - The Broncos’ stadium is renamed Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

Initial Schedule

Sat, Aug. 11 vs Minnesota​
                    Sat, Aug. 18 vs Chicago​
                    Fri, Aug. 24 @ Washington​
                    Thu, Aug. 30 @ Arizona​
                    Season Opener​
                    Sun, Sep. 9 vs Seattle​

The Draft

Round 1, No. 5 overall: Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State​
                    Round 2, No. 40: Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU​
                    Round 3, No. 71: Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon​
                    Round 3, No. 99: Isaac Yiadom, CB, Boston College​
                    Round 4, No. 106: Josey Jewell, LB, Iowa​
                    Round 4, No. 113, DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State​
                    Round 5, No. 156, Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin​
                    Round 6, No. 183: Sam Jones, G/C, Arizona State​
                    Round 6, No. 217, Keishawn Bierria, LB, Washington​
                    Round 7, No. 226 overall: David Williams, RB, Arkansas​

Today’s trivia

He was a key reason behind a game situation slap related rule change.

Comment

Today’s trivia...........

Random fact of the day​

In 2000, QB Brian Griese led the NFL with a passer rating of 102.9. As a result of his effective play, he earned an invite to the Pro Bowl. This was a significant improvement over his rating of 75.6 the previous year, which was his first as a starter.

Random quote of the day​

When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean.
                      —Lin-Chi

This month in Broncos history

August 6, 1995 - Terrell Davis leapt up the depth chart after clobbering San Francisco’s Tyronne Drakeford on a second-half kickoff.

August 16, 2011 - The Broncos’ stadium is renamed Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

Initial Schedule

Sat, Aug. 11 vs Minnesota​
                      Sat, Aug. 18 vs Chicago​
                      Fri, Aug. 24 @ Washington​
                      Thu, Aug. 30 @ Arizona​
                      Season Opener​
                      Sun, Sep. 9 vs Seattle​

The Draft

Round 1, No. 5 overall: Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State​
                      Round 2, No. 40: Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU​
                      Round 3, No. 71: Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon​
                      Round 3, No. 99: Isaac Yiadom, CB, Boston College​
                      Round 4, No. 106: Josey Jewell, LB, Iowa​
                      Round 4, No. 113, DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State​
                      Round 5, No. 156, Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin​
                      Round 6, No. 183: Sam Jones, G/C, Arizona State​
                      Round 6, No. 217, Keishawn Bierria, LB, Washington​
                      Round 7, No. 226 overall: David Williams, RB, Arkansas​

Today’s trivia

He was a key reason behind a game situation slap related rule change.
                      Are you referring to the head slap that Rich "Tombstone" Jackson perfected?
                      sigpic

Comment

Didn't he learn that from Deacon Jones or was that vice versa?
                        "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

WINNER! (catch you later with CPs)

Rich Jackson was a DE/LB who played for the Broncos from '67-72. Jackson was a 3 Time First Team All Pro. He was also a unanimous 1st Team All-NFL choice in 1970. Unfortunately his career was cut short by a severe knee injury, otherwise he was easily on track to become a Hall of Famer..

During his time in the NFL his nickname was "Tombstone", He got famous for moves such as the "head slap" and the "halo spinner" which he used to subdue opposing offensive linemen. In Lyle Alzado's book "Mile High" he recalled Jackson as the toughest man he'd ever met, and told the story of Jackson breaking the helmet of Green Bay Packer offensive tackle, Bill Hayhoe, with a head slap. The NFL had to create a rule which prohibited the head slap largely in part to Jackson’s utter dominance.

In 1984 Jackson was part of the inaugural class of inductees into the Denver Broncos' "Ring of Fame".

Last edited by CanDB; 08-01-2018, 06:43 PM.

Comment

WINNER! (catch you later with CPs)

Rich Jackson was a DE/LB who played for the Broncos from '67-72. Jackson was a 3 Time First Team All Pro. He was also a unanimous 1st Team All-NFL choice in 1970. Unfortunately his career was cut short by a severe knee injury, otherwise he was easily on track to become a Hall of Famer..

During his time in the NFL his nickname was "Tombstone", He got famous for moves such as the "head slap" and the "halo spinner" which he used to subdue opposing offensive linemen. In Lyle Alzado's book "Mile High" he recalled Jackson as the toughest man he'd ever met, and told the story of Jackson breaking the helmet of Green Bay Packer offensive tackle, Bill Hayhoe, with a head slap. The NFL had to create a rule which prohibited the head slap largely in part to Jackson’s utter dominance.

In 1984 Jackson was part of the inaugural class of inductees into the Denver Broncos' "Ring of Fame".

Gene Upshaw once said that one of Jackson’s head slaps made his ears ring, but he tried not to let Tombstone know that it affected him so much. Didn’t want to show any weakness on the field.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                              Didn't he learn that from Deacon Jones or was that vice versa?
                              Not sure. I’ll have to look that up.
                              sigpic

Comment

Gene Upshaw once said that one of Jackson’s head slaps made his ears ring, but he tried not to let Tombstone know that it affected him so much. Didn’t want to show any weakness on the field.
                                It's tough playing in the league these days, but like some other sports, a lot of the down deep "meanness" was pretty ruthless back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X