• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Another:

Think KC
    Neil Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
      Neil Smith
      WINNER!

Neil Smith (born April 10, 1966) is a former American football defensive end in the National Football League. He played for the Kansas City Chiefs from 1988 to 1996, the Denver Broncos from 1997 to 1999, and the San Diego Chargers in 2000.

One of the top defensive linemen of his era, Smith made the Pro Bowl 6 times during his career (1991 to 1995 and 1997), and led the NFL with 15 sacks in the 1993 season. With the Broncos, Smith won 2 NFL championship rings for Super Bowl XXXII and Super Bowl XXXIII. In the 1998 Divisional Playoffs against the Miami Dolphins, Smith cemented the 38-3 Broncos victory with a 79-yard fumble return for a touchdown, and in Super Bowl XXXII, he recorded a key fumble recovery that set up a Broncos field goal.

Smith finished his 13 NFL seasons with 105 sacks, 30 forced fumbles, 12 fumble recoveries, 19 return yards, and 1 touchdown. He also intercepted 4 passes, returning them for 68 yards and a touchdown.

Smith's trademark sack celebration, which consisted of him pantomiming swinging a baseball bat, was invented in tribute to another Kansas City sports hero, Hall Of Famer George Brett.

There was also an NFL rule created in his name. The "Neil Smith" rule, enacted in 1998, prevents a defensive lineman from flinching to induce a false start penalty on the offense.

Comment

• CanDB - great trivia question! I could not have connected the clues without the KC reference.

Comment

CanDB - great trivia question! I could not have connected the clues without the KC reference.
          Sometimes my questions are a little too fuzzy at first....but hopefully the clues make it a bit fun.:thumb:

And before I forget....kudos to Sam_Z for giving me the trivia idea!! I am quite sure he would have asked it much differently, and in a smarter way than I did! :thumb:
          Last edited by CanDB; 09-02-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

CanDB - great trivia question! I could not have connected the clues without the KC reference.
            Nice, very tough question I’ll drop you a CP as well.

Comment

Sometimes my questions are a little too fuzzy at first....but hopefully the clues make it a bit fun.:thumb:

And before I forget....kudos to Sam_Z for giving me the trivia idea!! I am quite sure he would have asked it much differently, and in a smarter way than I did! :thumb:
              Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
              Nice, very tough question I’ll drop you a CP as well.
              Very fun! Good job!!!

Comment

• Today’s trivia...........

Random fact of the day​​
                ​​
                Denver was named after Kansas Territorial Governor James Denver in hopes of gaining political favor. However, by the time the town was named, Governor Denver had retired. But it wasn’t difficult to convince others to name the city after the political leader. The alternative names for Denver were dropped for a shared barrel of whiskey.

Random quote of the day
                ​​
                “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
                ― Dr. Seuss

This month in Broncos history ​​

September 15, 1962 - Frank Tripucka hits Al Frazier for a 96-yard touchdown pass at Buffalo. At the time, the reception marked the longest play from scrimmage in Broncos history.

September 19, 1966 - Ray Malavasi named Head Coach of the Broncos.

September 26, 1976 - Rick Upchurch ties an NFL record by returning two punts for touchdowns in a 44-13 win over the visiting Cleveland Browns.

September 9, 2012 - Denver defeats the Steelers 31-19 in the first game of “The Manning Years” era.

Schedule​​
                ​​
                Regular Season (Mountain Time)
                1. Sep 9 vs Seattle Seahawks > WIN 27 - 24 / 1 and 0
                2. Sep 16 vs Oakland Raiders 2:25 PM CBS​​
                3. Sep 23 at Baltimore Ravens 11:00 AM CBS​​
                4. Sep 30 vs Kansas City Chiefs (MNF) 6:15 PM ESPN​​
                5. Oct. 7 at New York Jets 11:00 AM CBS​​
                6. Oct 14 vs Los Angeles Rams 2:05 PM FOX​​
                7. Oct 18 at Arizona Cardinals (TNF) 6:25 PM FOX​​
                8. Oct 28 at Kansas City Chiefs 11:00 AM CBS​​
                9. Nov 4 vs Houston Texans 2:05 PM CBS​​
                10. Nov 11 BYE​​
                11. Nov 18 at Los Angeles Chargers 2:05 PM CBS​​
                12. Nov 25 vs Pittsburgh Steelers 2:25 PM CBS​​
                13. Dec 2 at Cincinnati Bengals 11:00 AM CBS​​
                14. Dec 9 at San Francisco 49ers 2:05 PM CBS​​
                15. Dec 15 vs Cleveland Browns 2:30 PM NFLN​​
                16. Dec 24 at Oakland Raiders (MNF) 6:15 PM ESPN​​
                17. Dec 30 vs Los Angeles Chargers 2:25 PM CBS​

The Draft
                ​​
                Round 1, No. 5 overall: Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State​​
                Round 2, No. 40: Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU​​
                Round 3, No. 71: Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon​​
                Round 3, No. 99: Isaac Yiadom, CB, Boston College​​
                Round 4, No. 106: Josey Jewell, LB, Iowa​​
                Round 4, No. 113, DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State​​
                Round 5, No. 156, Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin​​
                Round 6, No. 183: Sam Jones, G/C, Arizona State​​
                Round 6, No. 217, Keishawn Bierria, LB, Washington​​
                Round 7, No. 226 overall: David Williams, RB, Arkansas​​
                ​​
                Today’s trivia

After 5 straight losses...finally a win, which was the point of time this individual stepped down from his elevated position. What was the story, and who was the individual?

Comment

• ^^^^^^ Here's a clue:

Luckily the win happened when it did, with only 2 more games left in the season, because things would have gotten really cold and lonely had The Broncos lost that game and the final 2 games that year!

Comment

^^^^^^ Here's a clue:

Luckily the win happened when it did, with only 2 more games left in the season, because things would have gotten really cold and lonely had The Broncos lost that game and the final 2 games that year!
                    Jack Faulkner or Mac Speedie?
                    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

• Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                      Jack Faulkner or Mac Speedie?
                      Not sure how that fits...so please enlighten me with why he is worthy of recognition here.

Comment

Today’s trivia...........
                        ​​
                        Today’s trivia

After 5 straight losses...finally a win, which was the point of time this individual stepped down from his elevated position. What was the story, and who was the individual?
                        The G Man! Rich Goins? Rich Goin? He sat on a billboard until the Broncos got a win in 1990. It was actually a 6 game losing streak, but I guess he was up there for 5 of those losses.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
                          The G Man! Rich Goins? Rich Goin? He sat on a billboard until the Broncos got a win in 1990. It was actually a 6 game losing streak, but I guess he was up there for 5 of those losses.
                          WINNER!!!

The Billboard Man

In 1990, after starting off 2-1, The Broncos dropped the next three, setting up what would become "the greatest sports publicity stunt" Bob Costas had ever seen. Part-time sports radio personality Rich "G-man" Goins pledged to live on top of a billboard overlooking West Colfax near Federal BLVD in Denver until the Broncos won a game.

The "G-man", who was then known as "The Billboard Man", would only descend to go to the restroom. He was attached to a safety harness in case of a fall.

Goins didn't have any idea how long his adventure would last however. "I thought I'd have a few yucks, get a little publicity and the Broncos would win," he said. "I thought big-time wrong."

Well, his entire ordeal lasted a total of 33 days, within that span the Broncos lost 5 consecutive games. On Sunday, December 16th, 1990 the Broncos rattled off 17 unanswered points after an initial Charger FG. Late in the 4th quarter their two score lead put to rest any doubt that the "G-Man" would have to stay on that billboard until after Super Bowl 25.

All the while, The G-Man earned lots of publicity for his career, in fact he admits that this single event is what made his radio career.

Comment

WINNER!!!

The Billboard Man

In 1990, after starting off 2-1, The Broncos dropped the next three, setting up what would become "the greatest sports publicity stunt" Bob Costas had ever seen. Part-time sports radio personality Rich "G-man" Goins pledged to live on top of a billboard overlooking West Colfax near Federal BLVD in Denver until the Broncos won a game.

The "G-man", who was then known as "The Billboard Man", would only descend to go to the restroom. He was attached to a safety harness in case of a fall.

Goins didn't have any idea how long his adventure would last however. "I thought I'd have a few yucks, get a little publicity and the Broncos would win," he said. "I thought big-time wrong."

Well, his entire ordeal lasted a total of 33 days, within that span the Broncos lost 5 consecutive games. On Sunday, December 16th, 1990 the Broncos rattled off 17 unanswered points after an initial Charger FG. Late in the 4th quarter their two score lead put to rest any doubt that the "G-Man" would have to stay on that billboard until after Super Bowl 25.

All the while, The G-Man earned lots of publicity for his career, in fact he admits that this single event is what made his radio career.

That was a good trivia question, Can. Wracked my brain for a couple of days on that one.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
                              That was a good trivia question, Can. Wracked my brain for a couple of days on that one.
                              thx pal....but it does not seem to stop you and some others here!:thumb:

Comment

• A Quickie:

Losing is one thing, but one year we were extra nice to a rival. What's the story?

Comment

Working...
                                X