1000 yard RB's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1000 yard RB's

In the NFL, the standard for any back is 1000 yards. However, should the standard be raised? I mean, if you break down 1000 yards by 16 games, a RB only has to average about 63 yards per game. To me, that is not a spectacular back. 1400-1500 yards per year would make more sense.

Any thoughts from Broncos fans?

i dont find 1000 yards very impressive at all. i think 1200 is more like it. 1200 and 12 tds is an impressive year. not including rec.

Comment

i dont find 1000 yards very impressive at all. i think 1200 is more like it. 1200 and 12 tds is an impressive year. not including rec.

Comment

That's a pretty high standard jd. There's only 5 backs that did that last year. I think you have to leave room for the mid-range guys to reach a respectable standard, such as 1,200 yards rushing with 300 yards receiving, or something like that around 1,500-1,600 yards total. 2,000 yards total is something only elite backs will reach typically, but it could be the standard one day, who knows.

Comment

Personally,

I think with all the injuries and the different defensive schemes teams are utilizing... a 60yd / game average is pretty damn good. Consistency is the key imho. I'll take a 1k rusher any week.

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
          ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

1300 yard rushing is great 1000 in not so good and a Rb have to get +- 300 yars recieving to be good.......

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

Originally posted by NOLABroncofan
              Personally,

I think with all the injuries and the different defensive schemes teams are utilizing... a 60yd / game average is pretty damn good. Consistency is the key imho. I'll take a 1k rusher any week.

Nuff said...

I agree with Nola!!
              [QUOTE]
              If someone uses one of your quotes, it really means that they agree with it and they're upset they didn't get the chance to say it first---- Dave Navarro 1991

The main reason I don't like the Bronco's is because every time I see their logo it reminds me of my drunk boyfriend who used to write his name in the snow with his urine then belch the letters of Elway's name----- Sandra Bernhard 1993

Comment

I agree that there is nothing outstanding about a 1k season. The average per carry is a more telling stat of who is producing on the ground. Anything over 4.5 ypc is gravy.

Look at Ricky Williams last year for an example.

1,372 yards rushing. Not bad, right? That ranked 10th in the league.

He had 392 attempts. That ranked 1st in the league.

He averaged 85 yards a game with 25 carries a game. That ranked 12th in the league.

Finally his yards per carry. He had 3.5 YPC. That ranked 41st in the league.

He was the only 1k rusher in the league last year that didn't average at least 4.0 yards a carry.

That is way too much work. Too many carries and too much punishment to your back.

Comment

our backs

lot to do with how are backs have done means the bench mark indeed should be raised. tatum bell will most likely brake 1000 even more.

Comment

Originally posted by jdslick2
                    2,000 yards combined rushing and receiving should be the new standard.
                    that sounda good, 1400 yards rushing and 600 yards passing. that is very do able for RBs that get piad 40,000,000$.
                    sigpic

Comment

I think the 100+yards per game should be the mark of a great runner. If you can average that that puts one in pretty elite status. That is what it used to be 100 per game 10 games a year.

That what it used to be way back when they were still toting a Rock around.

I remember when Gilchrist was running for about that a game getting 85-90. Same with Little it is not as easy as one think to average.

The all of a sudden everyone was talking about a 1000 season how great it was. Opposed to a 100 per game Guess it sounded almost impossible to attain.

So the 1000 yards was born. That was the stuck as a goal.

But when they increased the schedule, but forgot to do the math.

Comment

Re: 1000 yard RB's

Originally posted by Wahoo4life
                        In the NFL, the standard for any back is 1000 yards. However, should the standard be raised? I mean, if you break down 1000 yards by 16 games, a RB only has to average about 63 yards per game. To me, that is not a spectacular back. 1400-1500 yards per year would make more sense.

Any thoughts from Broncos fans?
                        I think the 1000 yard standard is left over from the 14 game season. It was harder to accomplish then. I agree that the new standard shouldn't be less than 1200. I don't know if I would go 2000 yards both receiving and rushing, since the old standard wasn't about rushing AND receiving, but rushing only, and many backs catch very few passes out of the backfield, just dump off passes.

I would rather see a 1200-1500 standard for excellence in rushing, personally.
                        You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

I think 1,000+ yards for one season does not say much at all...however over a carrer if i see a runner who has 10 years with over 1000 yards, i'll be very impressed. I think the "1,000 yard standard" should be over a carrer, because it says a lot about his durability...

Comment

I agree that if you can average 1000 yards a season over your career that is great. It says a lot about the durability of a player even as he gets older. The standard for a good back should be averaging 80-90 yards a game so about 1300 yards rushing and i would say u r a pretty damn good ball carrier.

Comment

The 1000 yards a year is a hold over from the 10-12 game seasons of yesteryear.

Whenever the announcers are talking about RB’s, they don't comment when they get 65 or 85 in the game. It is always when someone gets near or goes over a hundred yards in the game. Just as they always have over the years.

The correct standards in my opinion is the 100 per game, always was, always should be. Good RB will get close, great backs will exceed.

Receiving yards are nice but the vast majority of RB's are paid to run the ball from behind the LOS.

Dump off passes are usually a last resort of a desperate QB, when nothing else is open.

Comment

Working...
                              X