Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foreign Super Bowl being considered?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Super Bowl being considered?!?!?!

Now don't shoot the messenger, but this is something I've just found

Boston Globe ~ A foreign Super Bowl being considered

April 27, 2007

NFL
    Speaking to members of the Associated Press Sports Editors in New York yesterday, commissioner Roger Goodell said the NFL is exploring the possibility of staging a Super Bowl outside the United States -- probably in Mexico City, London, or Toronto -- sometime after 2011. He also raised the possibility of adding a 17th game to the schedule and reducing the exhibition season to three games
    Thoughts?
    The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
    You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

I'd be all for a Superbowl in London, personally.

Then again, I'm Irish.

Still probably couldn't get tickets though.

Comment

Id rather they have a foreign super bowl than have teams lose home games that fans paid good money for in season tickets. It would bother me a lot less than Denver playing the Raiders in Mexico City as a home game.

BTW, the NFL has practically ruined the SB any way through absolute greed, so why not. Its not like I watch every SB anyway. Besides, a SB in London would mean an earlier start time in the US, which wouldnt be so bad. Its also not really fair that some NFL cities get to host because they are warm weather locations or have domes.
      Last edited by lex; 04-27-2007, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
        Thoughts?

Get a rope (for the commish)

I think they would lose too much revenue. I hope that is enough to discourage the idea

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanInPA
          Get a rope (for the commish)

I think they would lose too much revenue. I hope that is enough to discourage the idea
          Its kind of a loss leader though in that they may be giving up some revenue from SB week and such but the expecation is that it will produce greater revenue in the long run by stimulating interest in countries...essentially expanding their market. I dont know what they ultimately want to accomplish over seas though. Are they wanting to expand? Are they wanting to sell more t shirts?

Comment

a foreign superbowl would be good for the nfl, i think it would awesome to get more international talent in the nfl. it could only help the game
            sigpic

Comment

i cant believe you would say a thing like this den-bal

personnally i dont think this would be a good ideal. not that i have been to any superbowls or anything, i just think that it is wrong for the fans that attend the game.

it also would bring up a huge concern about the security of the fans and players that would attend the game. if they play over seas would the security be as good if not better than playing here in the US. this is always a major target for possible attacks but having the game overseas could increase that ten folds.

im all for having some games over sea but it the superbowl for ..... sakes.

you dont see any other sports, from other countries, having their best game possible sent overseas. think about all the money we are now sending to another country to have. sure the commish and owners would still be rich but places, example NO, sure can use a boost in the economy that the super bowl brings.
              sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Have one in the Skydome CFL rules applied

Comment

Originally posted by lynchembaby
                  i cant believe you would say a thing like this den-bal

personnally i dont think this would be a good ideal. not that i have been to any superbowls or anything, i just think that it is wrong for the fans that attend the game.

it also would bring up a huge concern about the security of the fans and players that would attend the game. if they play over seas would the security be as good if not better than playing here in the US. this is always a major target for possible attacks but having the game overseas could increase that ten folds.

im all for having some games over sea but it the superbowl for ..... sakes.

you dont see any other sports, from other countries, having their best game possible sent overseas. think about all the money we are now sending to another country to have. sure the commish and owners would still be rich but places, example NO, sure can use a boost in the economy that the super bowl brings.
                  I agree its bad for its most loyal fans. Its yet another case of the NFL sh*tting on those they depend on most. I really hate though how different cities often fund the building of new stadiums and then of course buy season tickets only to see the NFL ship one of their games overseas. I dont think it will work unless these foreigners really understand football. Only recently has it become noticeable in a lot of places that more women are starting to more closely follow football. When you dont play football though, youre kind of at a disadvantage and the absence of that hurts when trying to stimulate interest to the point of it being something more than a novelty. I lived in Germany for 5 years. I know a lot of Germans who follow the NFL and even play in an American football league...I played on one of those teams too. But I dont think they can stimulate the interest without getting people to play football.

Comment

I think a foreign SuperBowl would not be good at all. When the Broncos went to the SuperBowl, they had a lottery and all season ticket holders names were put in, and then they drew so many to be able to purchase tickets to the game. For the average person, it might be possible to scrape up enough money to buy the ticket, get yourself to the game, and pay for a hotel. How could many average fans be able to pay for a plane ticket out of the country, plus the other expenses?

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Native
                      I think a foreign SuperBowl would not be good at all. When the Broncos went to the SuperBowl, they had a lottery and all season ticket holders names were put in, and then they drew so many to be able to purchase tickets to the game. For the average person, it might be possible to scrape up enough money to buy the ticket, get yourself to the game, and pay for a hotel. How could many average fans be able to pay for a plane ticket out of the country, plus the other expenses?
                      Dont you get it. The NFL doesnt care about the issues you are raising. They think they will sell tickets regardless and for that reason they dont care which teams fans can make it to the game or even if they can. In fact the idea is kind of to get more foreigners into the stadium so that they will stimulate future interest. They bank on the fact that Americans will watch the games...thats all they care about really. Theyll (TV and NFL people) look at how many people will be watching if the game is played at different times and evaluate whether they will be able to demand the same advertisers to pay the same amount of money. Basically, youre of no value to them because they assume youll watch the game on tv regardless. Theyre worried about the getting new fans.

Comment

Originally posted by lex
                        Dont you get it. The NFL doesnt care about the issues you are raising. They think they will sell tickets regardless and for that reason they dont care which teams fans can make it to the game or even if they can. In fact the idea is kind of to get more foreigners into the stadium so that they will stimulate future interest. They bank on the fact that Americans will watch the games...thats all they care about really. Theyll (TV and NFL people) look at how many people will be watching if the game is played at different times and evaluate whether they will be able to demand the same advertisers to pay the same amount of money. Basically, youre of no value to them because they assume youll watch the game on tv regardless. Theyre worried about the getting new fans.
                        Of course, I get it. I know what the NFL is doing, by considering this. I just brought up my concerns.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Terrible idea, IMHO.

The games are one thing, but the fans are what's given the game the hype it's at. Don't punish them by taking the SUperBowl away from them and sending it to some foreign city.

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Native
                            Of course, I get it. I know what the NFL is doing, by considering this. I just brought up my concerns.
                            Fair enough.

Comment

I think they are all bad ideas...except maybe losing a preseason game. I think 16 is enough for the regular season and 4 is too many for the preseason. How would the time difference screw with the time of the SB if it were in London...no thank you
                              "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans"

Comment

Working...
                              X