Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foreign Super Bowl being considered?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by classicarluvr
    I think they are all bad ideas...except maybe losing a preseason game. I think 16 is enough for the regular season and 4 is too many for the preseason. How would the time difference screw with the time of the SB if it were in London...no thank you
    Time difference - another very good point!!!!!

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
      Now don't shoot the messenger, but this is something I've just found

Boston Globe ~ A foreign Super Bowl being considered

Thoughts?
      Love it!! perhaps you shouldn´t have to be up that late for a superbowl in europe!!

Comment

Originally posted by bjoli198
        Love it!! perhaps you shouldn´t have to be up that late for a superbowl in europe!!
        Yeah no more getting up at 1am and staying up till 4 o clock to watch the Superbowl and its not like eople wouldnt be able to watch it in the US!

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
          Now don't shoot the messenger, but this is something I've just found
          April 27, 2007

NFL
          Speaking to members of the Associated Press Sports Editors in New York yesterday, commissioner Roger Goodell said the NFL is exploring the possibility of staging a Super Bowl outside the United States -- probably in Mexico City, London, or Toronto -- sometime after 2011. He also raised the possibility of adding a 17th game to the schedule and reducing the exhibition season to three games
          Boston Globe ~ A foreign Super Bowl being considered

Thoughts?
          I don't like the thought of a Superbowl out of the states, but I would like to see the season longer. I think they should only have a preseason of 2 games, because they know who their starters are during training camp, and just need a couple of weeks to figure out who makes the team. Take two preseason games away and add them to the regular season. Oh yeah get rid of the BYE week two.
          Helping rock the Stadium on game day!!!

Comment

Couple of points.
            To the person who raised concerns about security. Here in the UK our anti terrorisom efforts are probably 10 times that of the US. We've been dealing with it on our doorstep for some 35 years so don't worry about that. The US agencies came to us for help after 9/11 and we've been working together to improve both countries security.
            The time differance? That would be tricky. Absolute latest would be an 8pm kick off local. Thats 3pm Eastern so an early start pacific. But that would mean a local finish of after midnight which wouldn't go down well with fans in the stadium or the players I dont think.
            Tickets being sold: Not a problem the Giants Dolphins game has 3/4's of a million ticket enquiries.
            However the simple fact is, even as a Brit I dont think its a good idea to go abroad. To me the superbowl is the one event that all football fans want to goto to, and football is an american game. A lot of foreign fans dream of going to America specifically to see the Superbowl. It just wouldn't feel the same being in another country.
            "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
            Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Originally posted by y2cragie
              Couple of points.
              To the person who raised concerns about security. Here in the UK our anti terrorisom efforts are probably 10 times that of the US. We've been dealing with it on our doorstep for some 35 years so don't worry about that. The US agencies came to us for help after 9/11 and we've been working together to improve both countries security.
              The time differance? That would be tricky. Absolute latest would be an 8pm kick off local. Thats 3pm Eastern so an early start pacific. But that would mean a local finish of after midnight which wouldn't go down well with fans in the stadium or the players I dont think.
              Tickets being sold: Not a problem the Giants Dolphins game has 3/4's of a million ticket enquiries.
              However the simple fact is, even as a Brit I dont think its a good idea to go abroad. To me the superbowl is the one event that all football fans want to goto to, and football is an american game. A lot of foreign fans dream of going to America specifically to see the Superbowl. It just wouldn't feel the same being in another country.
              I've got to say that I completely agree, y2 this is the case for the forseeable future, and I can't see it happening in the near future.

But I can see it happening one day. The league obviously wants to expand the game globally, and that will eventually include non-US sides playing against the 'current' NFL teams..............once that's happened, then the Superbowl will eventually be played outside the US..................

Of course, I'll be a dodderin' old fart by then
              The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
              BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
              You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

As cool as it would be, the Super Bowl with the two weeks being apart from the Championship games I cant help but feel that a foregin Super Bowl would only add to the event's poor play.

Now, if the NFL is serious about doing this then a game in Rome or Paris would do wonders for its popularity.

And wasnt te NFL seriously considering a Barcelona Super Bowl bout a decade ago...
                Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by SmithOverTO
                  As cool as it would be, the Super Bowl with the two weeks being apart from the Championship games I cant help but feel that a foregin Super Bowl would only add to the event's poor play.

Now, if the NFL is serious about doing this then a game in Rome or Paris would do wonders for its popularity.

And wasnt te NFL seriously considering a Barcelona Super Bowl bout a decade ago...
                  You certainly don't want London in January or February :shake:
                  The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                  BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                  You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

American Sport on American Soil.....No way in hell would I support it in any other way.
                    The NFL being played overseas is a terrible idea.

Comment

Outsourcing! It seems to be the new American tradition. I'll be for a foreign superbowl every 33rd year because when they allow every franchise to have SB on their home turf then I would be for an SB overseas, being there are fans overseas I don't see a problem. And DN has some great points also.

Comment

You know....

.... with all the good he seems to be doing with player conduct, he sure sucks when it comes to some of his ideas in the area of playing game out of the country.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just a bad idea IMO.... I really don't like this whole push by the commish to expand American footballs popularity abroad by holding games in palces like China.... really... the strain on the players to fly half way around the world to play in a game in some strange foreign country (ala when the Broncos played in Tokyo in the preseason in, what was it... 95?) is something the NFL should try and avoid. To take that to a new level and include perhaps Americas single favorite Sunday to a foreign nation and expect US citizens to follow it with as much passion and gain as much pleasure is foolish at best IMO. I hope the NFL gets their head out of their you know what, and start thinking about keeping the NFL popular in the US rather then trying to become an international staple. If the rest of the world wants American Football, they know where to find it....
                          sigpic
                          The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                          Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

It really doesn't matter, now if it were on the moon....i'd be all for it.
                            sigpic

Comment

The Super Bowl needs to stay in AMERICA where it belongs!
                              sigpic

Comment

Personally for me, it would be great for me if the SB was over here (I would probably still struggle to get tickets though), but how can the NFL seriously consider taking the biggest game in the sport to another country when they won't even take it to every team that participates in the league at present
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X