Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foreign Super Bowl being considered?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign Superbowl

All major sports are going global. It isn't a matter of "if" as it is "when." I'm sure a foreign superbowl won't be an annual affair. My sense is it would go in the mix along with northern tier superbowls here in the U.S. I remember when the Toronto Bluejays won one or two World Series. It irked a lot of people. Life is change. As far as extending the regular schedule goes I say do it. Heck, take away two pre season games and make it an 18 game regular season; then start training camp early. There is no reason why the Superbowl can't run deeper into February. The only other major event going on in February is the NBA All Star game.

Comment

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Comment

Future Super Bowl to be played outside of the U.S.?????

Super Bowl moving to foreign soil?

Posted: Sunday May 06, 2007 07:25AM ET

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell touched on the possibility of the Super Bowl being played outside the United States. "We have talked in-house about that," he said. "It is truly an international event. London, Toronto, and Mexico City have been discussed. Because of time-difference issues, those are the logical ones. Nothing could happen before 2012.

Source: SI.com

Comment

that sucks,i THOUGHT football was an American sport

I hate corporate (Nfl) America...

sigpic

Comment

Eff Roger Goodell
            sigpic

Comment

I love it, its one step closer to it being played in London, so I can go see it!
              Seriously though, although I know most Americans dont like it, you'll be surprised to see how much interest there is for the NFL in the UK, its growing all the time and the regular season game of Dolphins vs Giants was basically sold out as soon as they allowed people to pre-register for it. I think having a Super Bowl outside would just mean the NFL will spread further and further a field, attracting more interest globally rather than just in the Americas.
              Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
              http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

I'm all for the Superbowl being in another country, so long as it gets more people interested in football that is, and I'm sure it would! Then again, a lot of the time the Superbowl isn't a very good game, so they would probably be better off just having a few regular season games overseas first.

Mostly though I just hope that the Dolphins V. Giants game gets some more viewers and maybe even turn the European league into something real.

Comment

They need to play in Toronto, with CFL rules

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Lights
                    They need to play in Toronto, with CFL rules
                    I'd hope they would play one in Seattle before Toronto, if theyre going to do cold climates. (toronto is outdoors right? lol all the CFL Ive watched was outside...)

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

Originally posted by Scheffler88

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell touched on the possibility of the Super Bowl being played outside the United States. "We have talked in-house about that," he said. "It is truly an international event. London, Toronto, and Mexico City have been discussed. Because of time-difference issues, those are the logical ones. Nothing could happen before 2012.

Dang, SI is SLOW

Foreign Super Bowl being considered

Until the NFL establishes a viable global presence (ie competitive teams of NFL standard, not NFLE) this is a poor idea, but the league wants to compete with FIFA so it will happen eventually, IMO
                      The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                      BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                      You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Originally posted by Scheffler88

It'll never happen! In international terms the game of football equates to soccer every place in the world except the United States. Always has and always will. Moreover I don't see any thrust from the international community in terms of staging the World Cup in the United States... Boring! :paper:

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKIES
                          Moreover I don't see any thrust from the international community in terms of staging the World Cup in the United States... Boring! :paper:
                          1994 ring a bell? It actually went rather well.
                          And there are plans for it to be held there in a couple of wc times.
                          "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
                          Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Originally posted by y2cragie
                            1994 ring a bell? It actually went rather well.
                            And there are plans for it to be held there in a couple of wc times.
                            The US has also been strongly suggested as an alternative if South Africa falls flat on it's face, along with England & Mexico.

You'll Never Walk Alone

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
                              The US has also been strongly suggested as an alternative if South Africa falls flat on it's face, along with England & Mexico.
                              which is highly likely.
                              I'd imagine or the simple sake of quick turn around and preperation it'll be England they would select.
                              "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
                              Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Originally posted by y2cragie
                                which is highly likely.
                                I'd imagine or the simple sake of quick turn around and preperation it'll be England they would select.
                                Yeah, but the US would also be able to quickly stage the tournament............

Isn't it the 2018 tournament it has been suggested the US could host, in direct competition to England?

You'll Never Walk Alone

Comment

Working...
                                X