• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49 Gang Members arrested

Finding solace after tragedy
    By Bill Williamson
    Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Last Updated: 04/28/2007 01:31:09 AM MDT

Broncos safety John Lynch, left, and an unidentified family member comfort Darrent Williams' mother, Rosalind, during the funeral for the Denver Broncos cornerback in Fort Worth, Texas, in January 2007. (Glenn Asakawa | The Denver Post)Although the person responsible for the murder of her only child still hasn't been charged with the crime, Rosalind Williams said she is feeling some peace.

On Thursday she was informed police arrested 49 suspected members of the Tre Tre Crips and Rollin' 30s Crips gangs after an 18-month investigation. Even though it's not the news she had been hoping to hear, the sweep was encouraging to Williams.

Her 24-year-old son, Darrent Williams, was the Broncos' starting right cornerback before being killed in a drive-by shooting while riding in a limousine in downtown Denver in the early hours of New Year's Day.

While there have been no charges filed for that crime, the vehicle police believe was used in the shooting belongs to Tre Tre Crips leader Brian Clark, who was jailed at the time of the shooting.

"This is a good start," Rosalind Williams said from her home in Fort Worth, Texas, on Thursday night. "It may not be related to Dee's death, but it's getting gang members off the streets. It shows that good citizens are not going to allow for gang members to take over the city. Denver is a wonderful city, and the people there are not going to allow for gang members to take over."

Williams said she had grown frustrated with the lack of significant progress in finding the person or people responsible for the death of her son. However, she said she felt relief Thursday.

"I probably won't sleep through the night tonight," Williams said. "But I think I am going to get more sleep than I have since Jan. 1. ... We've got a long, long way to go, but this is a good start."

Her son's memory will be honored during this weekend's NFL draft. Tennessee receiver Robert Meachem plans to wear a T-shirt printed with the image of Darrent Williams on it Saturday as Meachem waits to be drafted, one of his agents, Troy Asmus, said. ESPN will broadcast from Meachem's house, where other family members will wear similar shirts.

Meachem, expected to be a first-round pick, got to know Williams through Meachem's older brother who played at Oklahoma State with Williams. Meachem has the same agents, Jeff Griffin and Asmus, who Williams employed.

Also, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said he will be able to speak more in the next month or so about how the team will address player safety in the wake of the Williams murder.

I hope someone helps out the police with info, but i doubt it.
    sigpic

Thank GOd. The bigger picture is the senseless violence in our urban neighborhoods. As an African American I am witness to this ignorance and culture of self hate and genocide. Darrent's case sheds some light on the ugly reality that we live with. I would hold all of them. Cause there is not one who is singularly responsible.
    Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

Comment

I believe we should refrain from commenting until the legal process has gone through. These men are innocent until proven guilty in the court of law so let's not already convict them before they stand trial.

Comment

Refrain from commenting? On a message board?
        sigpic

Comment

Good news to hear. I wish for justice and equal punishment.

Shameful.
          The NFL being played overseas is a terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderArmour
            I believe we should refrain from commenting until the legal process has gone through. These men are innocent until proven guilty in the court of law so let's not already convict them before they stand trial.

...Of Darrent Williams' murder, maybe. But many of us feel that there's something inherently wrong with using "gang members" and "innocent" in the same sentence (or paragraph).

sigpic
            They're your teammates, now.
            Best of luck, TT!
            ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

well we are not the jury are we?...so with that i would say screw them all, even if they are not guilty of darrents death, some know about it, and every single one of them is a crimminal...cold hard fact...you dont get in these gangs cause your a choir boy....they all have done harm to the denver community...i would bet at least 50 % of them have been involved in a murder in some fashion....they same could be said for robbery or assult...these are crimminals , the only concern is what can honest law folk prove they did
              sigpic
              when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Nice to hear that arrests have finally been made. Hopefully one of them will rat out the shooter.

Comment

Actually there has been an ongoig ivestigation for over 18 months ito the criminal behavior of these 49 individuals, and there are still 18 at large, and wanted. There are over 200 FEDERAL inditements against the 49 gang members.

Even though the jury hasn't found them guilty, the evidence is already there, and they WILL be found guilty. They dont hand down federal inditements, unless there is more than enough compellig evidence.

Comment

Any sentence involving a gang member should be tripled by law.

They ruin our neighborhoods, they ruin lives, they kill.

The law should reflect the damage caused.

You want to be in a gang ? Better hope you don't get caught, because the sentence will reflect the damage you (collectively have) caused to others.

These 49 guys.....20 years minimum each......I've got a grandson to raise........and I pay my taxes........he needs to be safe from this crap.

If a gang member doesn't deserve an "extremely" aggravated sentence.......nobody does.

If he j-walks he should go to jail for a year.

Harrassment works both ways, how ya like me now.
                    Last edited by Superchop7; 05-04-2007, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Superchop7

You want to be in a gang ? Better hope you don't get caught, because the sentence will reflect the damage you (collectively have) caused to others.

These 49 guys.....20 years minimum each......I've got a grandson to raise........and I pay my taxes........he needs to be safe from this crap.

If a gang member doesn't deserve an "extremely" aggravated sentence.......nobody does.

CP to you, I couldn't agree more!!

Comment

its to bad our court system don't work that way P....your guilty until proven innocent

and even if you become innocent people still think you are guilty ...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Superchop7

Thank you!!!

I'm just licking my chops, waiting for someone to come back with the sorry-a** excuse:

"But you didn't grow up as an inner-city kid... You don't know what it's like... It's a dangerous life ...It's every man for himself out there."

Sorry... maybe it'll cease being like that once "people" stop acting like animals. This isn't a war-zone. It's a civilized country.

...Anyway, to get this post back on topic and avoid another reprimand from the mods for preaching politics/morality...

I sure hope - for the sake of all of Darrent's family and friends - that these latest arrests are one step further toward bbringing his killer to justice.

sigpic
                          They're your teammates, now.
                          Best of luck, TT!
                          ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

gangs are crap and the people in the are scum.

And not only that but "Tre Tre Crips and Rollin' 30s Crips"?

the name alone proves your a retard.

I loved it on south park when jimmy and timmy joined the crips and got them to make up with the bloods. great episode.

*guy does the "crip walk" (also stupid as well)*

Jimmy: Wow these guys really are crippled.
                            the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

good. hopefully justice pays.

Comment

Working...
                              X