49 Gang Members arrested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UnderArmour
    I believe we should refrain from commenting until the legal process has gone through. These men are innocent until proven guilty in the court of law so let's not already convict them before they stand trial.
    :paper: WoW :paper:

Comment

Bump........

Comment

Latest article: http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/local..._123121242.html

Report: Drug Suspect Connected To Williams' Case

(AP) DENVER Investigators believe a man arrested on drug charges in a gang crackdown last week may have been present when Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed, the suspect's attorney said.

Investigators believe Vernon Edwards, 29, of suburban Aurora may have been in a sport-utility vehicle carrying the gunman or gunmen who shot Williams, Edwards' attorney, Anthony Viorst, told The Denver Post in Thursday's editions.

Viorst said Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephanie Podolak told him investigators believe Edwards is connected to the Williams case. Podolak and a spokeswoman for the Denver district attorney declined to comment.

Edwards' sister, Queen McClain, and his girlfriend, Billie Lambson, told The Post that Edwards was in bed with the flu at the time Williams was shot. Lambson said she was with Edwards that day.

McClain and Lambson said police told them a witness has placed Edwards in the suspect SUV when Williams was shot.

"They told us that if he wasn't in the SUV then he knows who was," Lambson said.

Williams, 24, was struck once in the neck and two other passengers were wounded when at least 14 shots were fired into the stretch Hummer that had just left a New Year's Eve party at a nightclub.

Edwards was arrested on cocaine trafficking charges in massive gang sweep on April 26. He pleaded not guilty Wednesday.

More than 450 officers from three states arrested 49 people on suspicion of money-laundering and distributing drugs and firearms. Officers seized 74 firearms, $1.4 million in cash, cocaine, marijuana and ecstasy and three vehicles, authorities said.

One those indicted in that investigation was Brian Hicks, 28, the registered owner of the SUV that authorities believe was used in Williams' slaying.

Hicks was in jail awaiting trial on attempted murder charges when Williams was killed.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

ironic that the number of gang members 49 is simular team name to d-will's last game

Comment

Recent story on gangs:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...79/detail.html

Gang Members Speak Out About Violence
            Current And Former Gang Members Give A Rare Look Into Their World
            Jaclyn Allen, 7NEWS Reporter

DENVER, Colo. -- He is a hardened gang member, doing his share of what they call “dirt”, or crimes ordered by gang leaders.

He’s been shot at, stabbed, and he has the scars to prove it. But this gangster, who asked to remain anonymous, is only 16 years old.

“I guarantee you I’ve lived through more stuff in 16 years than a 35-year-old man has lived through,” he said. “Crazy things. And half these people think it’s a joke. They’re living in fairy tale land. They ain’t living in the real world like I am.”

In the world of gangs, this high school junior says the color you wear and the signs you flash could get you killed.

He’s a West Side Blood Piru, but what started for him as a place to belong when he was only 12 years old, has turned into a trap.

"Death is always there,” he said. “There's always someone out there trying to smoke you, someone trying to pull out a gun on you, just because of the rag I wear."

"They make it seem like it's the best thing in the world, but what they don't tell you is the stuff you actually go through. The stuff you see every day."

After four years of crime, violence, drug-dealing and death, he is ready to get out.

But as former gang members will attest, it’s not that simple.

"If you really want to get out, you have to fade out," said Cisco Gallardo with Gang Rescue and Support Project, GRASP.

He helped found a gang in the 90s, but got out after serving time for dealing drugs.

Now, he directs a program that helps kids get out. First, they have to slowly decrease the amount of time they spend with the gang, or “fade out”.

He says gangs are on the rise, and often it takes something like Thursday night’s shooting in Montview Park to wake up kids who want out.

"A lot of kids they want help after an incident. Somebody gets shot. Like the friends of this person that was shot the other day," said Gallardo.

He believes gang violence is not much worse than it has been. What’s different is the attention it is getting.

The Darrent Williams shooting put Denver’s problem in the national spotlight, and community leaders are working to find solutions.

"If kids don't have alternatives, they're going to create their own," he said.

They are working on the so-called “Summer of Peace,” programs for youth that encourage activities outside of gangs. He remembers the “Summer of Violence” in the 90s and doesn’t want a repeat.

But for those already in gangs, like the 16-year-old so desperately looking for a way out, life outside of this world seems like a fairy tale.

"When I go to church, I hear the pastor speaking the word of God. Then I'm like, damn, God don't want me doing this... but then again, God ain't here."

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Working...
            X