Who Will Be Our 3rd Linebacker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linebackers

I thought for sure the Broncos would take Paul Posluszny (bills) in the first round because of our gaping hole after wilson is gone. I have heard some stuff about jarvis moss maybe switching to OLB and Ian Gold taking Wilson's spot.

Comment

Originally posted by penguin_thom
      I thought for sure the Broncos would take Paul Posluszny (bills) in the first round because of our gaping hole after wilson is gone. I have heard some stuff about jarvis moss maybe switching to OLB and Ian Gold taking Wilson's spot.
      Can you imagine if the Broncos took Moss to be a LB and not a DE? And they plan on using Dumervil in passing situations?

Not saying this is true, but it is possible. Nice conspiracy theory.

Comment

Yeah, I've heard that (here).

Someone also had a thread where they mentioned Lang as a possible SLB. With all the talent we have, at least on paper, at DE, this kind of thing is a real possibility. As for Gold... I like him a lot, and was glad to see him back where he belongs, but I liked the outrageous suggestion of moving him to SS better than the idea of putting him at MLB. I'm not thrilled with Websters listed 237 as a backup MLB; don't ask me what I think of Gold as a starter....

At this point I'd like our #3 LB to be Randall Godfrey and a first and fourth round draft pick to be named in 2008. We get a proven and durable playoff starter who can't exactly demand gobs of money so close to retirement, make our playoff run and then find the franchise LB to replace him in the next couple years. I'd like to see him in camp at least, but I have a feeling we'll need to lock him up for that to happen. After that we can have the other guys fight it out for backup slots, though in some ways I'm less concerned about our #3 LB (SLB) than I am about our #4 (backup MLB). Naming a list of potential solutions at SLB when D.J. goes to the middle is a lot easier than naming a list of potential solutions if D.J. gets hurt, heaven forbid.
        SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

really a lb is just a faster smaller lineman so they could easily move a de to olb or we could be akward and change are team from 4-3/3-4 to 5-2/4-3
          2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

I dispute this.

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly
            really a lb is just a faster smaller lineman so they could easily move a de to olb or we could be akward and change are team from 4-3/3-4 to 5-2/4-3
            At my peril, I know, since, once again, I'm not a defensive guy. LBs have to play pass coverage the way DEs rarely do and DTs never do. Makes all the difference in the world; you can't drop a FS back, put the CBs in man, rush seven and hope they get there before the QB finds the eligible receiver who doesn't have the SS dashing madly to reach him before the ball. That's what makes me nervous about the whole "oh, well, just make Lang/Moss/Dumervil our OLB". I mean, there's a reason why so many college OLBs end up NFL DEs, and it ain't 'cos the Pros run more.

Right now Holdman's still my choice because the coverage skills are even more important for MLB than OLB; unfortunately so is everything else, and I'm not really happy with what we saw from Webster subbing for Al last year, but he still seems like the best choice we currently have. So unless someone really stands out in camp Holdman is the next guy with experience and production, then Lewis, then... well, nobody, really. I'd be perfectly happy to see Webster and Holdman there (though I'd be happier still if Webster could gain about 10 lbs. ) if we had somebody to backup D.J. at MLB so we don't have a gaping hole in the middle of our D the first time he stubs his toe. If Shanny has better luck trying Lang as a 4-3 OLB than the Browns did trying him as a 3-4 OLB he'd make me sleep a lot better at night; worst case we can have Webster as backup SLB AND MLB unless both the starters are hurt, in which case we have Webster at MLB and Holdman at SLB, but I'm still worried about that MLB spot.

Comment

Originally posted by penguin_thom
              Gold would never hold up as a Mike linebacker he's way to small. Also I don't think we had gaping hole after the release Wilson because Nate Webster is more than capable of being a starter.
              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

i think we will fill in just fine a slb with either vaughn or holdman and keep webster as backup. i hate the loss of wilson but i see how it had to be done seeing he cant pass a phsyical. theres no need to pay a guy that much who cant get on the field because of an injury. personally i hope he retires so he doesnt get hurt any worse that way he can come in and help be a lb coach

Comment

Yeah, I ultimately saw that. :8)

Originally posted by JoRo
                  Chuky signed with the Bucs
                  I'm still playing catchup and can't just hop over to NFL.com to double check who's still with us in what capacity. That pretty much leaves me hoping suspicions and rumors about Lang or Moss starting at SLB are true, 'cos D.J.+[backup}<D.J.+Al, so whoever starts at SLB is going to have to pick up a lot of slack even if D.J. can do it at MLB. That MLB spot really has me worried, to the point I'm less concerned about our #3 LB than our #4. Webster seemed unimpressive filling in for Al last year, and the only thing idea that seems worse than a 237 lb. MLB (Webster) is a 223 lb. one (Gold).

I feel comfortable with our WLB, and think we have at least some flexibility with our SLB given the number of (largely untried) free agents we got, but I do worry about D.J. getting hurt or transitioning badly. I'm wondering if Lewis, Vaughn or Holdman have the kind of over the middle coverage skills needed, and wouldn't mind seeing Randall Godfrey come to camp since I know he has the speed to play there and saw more coverage duty as a 3-4 ILB in SD than our various OLB free agents. Right now the only person who seems even remotely qualified as a backup MLB is Webster, and I just don't have much confidence in him after what we saw at the end of last season. I don't really wanna see guys sitting down in the middle of our D next year because our secondary's busy covering three receivers deep and our front seven is all rushing the QB. A MLB has to do everything well, and the only guy we have right now who MIGHT be able to do that is D.J. I'd like us to get on the phone to Godfrey and maybe that Nate Harris guy everyone seems to like, but if I'm being honest I'm going to have reservations all year about the idea of our starting and backup MLBs being OLBs and Webster.

Comment

Damn Briggs is still holding out

even if it would be nice to have him another Pryce issue player is not what we need

I was wrong
                    2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Warrick Holdman.

Comment

My guess is that Holdman has the inside track.
                        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                        You Mad Bro?
                        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Webster . . . because of his speed and that many already consider him of starter quality.

But only if he plays SAM and not MIKE.

Just a guess.

-----

Comment

I'm more interested in Godfrey.

He'd come cheaper than Briggs because he's nearing the end of his career, but he's got a few years left in him. That makes it a nice fit:

We get a quality LB who doesn't break the bank and time to draft and groom the investment for the next decade.

He gets a respectable but not jaw dropping contract and a team with which to make a few more SB runs.

He played ILB in the Bolts 3-4, but started at OLB in Dallas, so he could play SLB, yet could be a better choice for MLB than D.J., who could then stay at SLB. And I'm sorry, but I don't like Webster as our backup MLB after watching him at the end of last season. He just didn't look sharp; he got beat on passes a few times and all the critics of Als tackling need to watch tapes of the games against Cincy and SF. The MLB QBs the 4-3, so you need two good players, not a star and an "adequate".

That's one thing that made me feel better when I saw Sundquists quote that they think Holdman could play any LB slot. I think Holdman will be a good SLB, and Lewis a good enough backup, but I do have reservations about depth at MLB. D.J.'s only human, and Al led the team in tackles last year despite playing hurt after the Pitt game; under Bates the MLB job is expected to be MORE demanding. This is just my gut, but unless we do pick up somebody like Godfrey I see it breaking down like this:

Gold, Green
                            D.J., Webster
                            Holdman, Lewis
                            Vaughn as our long term project. He's got the weight we seem to favor (241; Lewis, D.J. and Holdman are 241, 242 and 243) but he's 6-4; our tallest other LB is 6-1. If he's got the speed and smarts I'd love to see him at MLB in a few years, or even following the D.J. route playing SLB next to the MLB before taking over for him. I'm not thrilled about Webster at backup MLB, but he's the only guy we've got with MLB experience, and all the others are heavier and taller than his 6-0 237.

Comment

Working...
                            X