• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eaglebronco
    sho man webeez da smart fanz.
    I love your sig,it rules,lol

sigpic

Comment

its Treu im Wayyy More Smarter Than Those Dummy Head Poop Faces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      2 of the top 3 NFL QBs of all time have been Broncos

Comment

pogo sticks make anton giggle...

:dance:

sigpic

Comment

Onto my serious answer, I'm not sure if this can even be something that is measured, but by the discussions I see on this website and others, I feel like we have a lot of smart football fans out there. However, I disagree with him somewhat on the whole, "They analyze it with intelligence, rather than emotion." for a few reasons. Now, I'll go into my reasons, and I don't claim to be right on some of them, but I feel they're pretty accurate. Hopefully I don't offend anyone.

Scenario 1: Al Wilson being released.

A lot of fans, just the fans that watch the games, like the players and don't want to really put time and effort into analyzing the situation, took the releasing of Al Wilson as an insult. I guess it's understandable, but after a while I think a lot of people opened up to the whole situation. Al was costing a lot, and Al also had a career threatening injury. To this day, Al isn't on a team, and where it's possible after June 1st he signs with one, his career could be over.

As a fan, I admired what Al did on and off the field, and I feel like he's a quality guy. Perhaps no other Bronco has said it best, but the NFL is a business according to Rod Smith. Even Rod, this off-season, had to realize his best football is behind him and take a ten million dollar pay cut (essentially) over the next two years to remain on the team or he would have been cut entirely. When you have it, you have it - when you don't you don't - and I think a lot of fans failed to realize this and the aforementioned in regards to Wilson's release, just one clear way of passion getting pushed over intelligence.

Scenario 2: Rod Smith's future on the team.

People have been hiding the fact for a couple of years now that Rod has slowed down, but it was never more apparent than this past year. A lot of people still think he should make the team, or be given the benefit for the doubt because of what he's done as his time here as a Bronco. This happens in sports, and I think that coaches fall in love with players who have done well for them; and in the end - it can really hurt them. I think the Broncos coaching staff favoritism (that's how I'd put it) towards Rod Smith has hurt our abilities to develop other players.

Now, people will argue that Rod had 9 consecutive 70 catch seasons, and 8 1,000 yard seasons out of the past 10 and say, "That's enough consistency to merit him a top spot on the team." Perhaps, but I compare those numbers to other #1 receivers around the league and it is at best average, especially when you factor in the touchdowns and all that.

I think Rod can be a productive player in a slot role for the Broncos. He can use his smarts and what he's come to know as a seasoned veteran and make the tough catches over the middle and be a nice target for us to happen on crossing routes, etc. but he's no longer (in my opinion) a viable top receiving target. Rod Smith is going through the same thing Tim Brown and Jerry Rice went through; and I'm sure it's tough - but it's time we move on. Hopefully, Marshall can fill the shoes that Rod has been in all those years; it's a big time commitment, but the kid has talent. If he can't, another youngster in the near future will try; but in conclusion I guess - a lot of people have given Rod the benefit of the doubt for what he has done, instead of what he did last year when analyzing the wide receiver situation.

Scenario 3: Jake Plummer Fiasco.

I won't even bother touching this in-depth, but a lot of people gave Jake the benefit of the doubt because they were A) either Jake fans or B) were convinced he was the reason we won all those games. However, football has and always will be a team game, and some people just couldn't face the facts when Mike decided to pull the plug on Jake and replace him with Cutler. A lot of emotions went on there, but it's likely that Jay wouldn't have been drafted if Mike was confident in Jake.

Overall, I do agree that a lot of Broncos fans are smart, but those are just a few examples of how feelings for players get in the way of the intelligence aspect of analyzing the game.

Man, I'm tired now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
            Onto my serious answer, I'm not sure if this can even be something that is measured, but by the discussions I see on this website and others, I feel like we have a lot of smart football fans out there. However, I disagree with him somewhat on the whole, "They analyze it with intelligence, rather than emotion." for a few reasons. Now, I'll go into my reasons, and I don't claim to be right on some of them, but I feel they're pretty accurate. Hopefully I don't offend anyone.

Scenario 1: Al Wilson being released.

A lot of fans, just the fans that watch the games, like the players and don't want to really put time and effort into analyzing the situation, took the releasing of Al Wilson as an insult. I guess it's understandable, but after a while I think a lot of people opened up to the whole situation. Al was costing a lot, and Al also had a career threatening injury. To this day, Al isn't on a team, and where it's possible after June 1st he signs with one, his career could be over.

As a fan, I admired what Al did on and off the field, and I feel like he's a quality guy. Perhaps no other Bronco has said it best, but the NFL is a business according to Rod Smith. Even Rod, this off-season, had to realize his best football is behind him and take a ten million dollar pay cut (essentially) over the next two years to remain on the team or he would have been cut entirely. When you have it, you have it - when you don't you don't - and I think a lot of fans failed to realize this and the aforementioned in regards to Wilson's release, just one clear way of passion getting pushed over intelligence.

People have been hiding the fact for a couple of years now that Rod has slowed down, but it was never more apparent than this past year. A lot of people still think he should make the team, or be given the benefit for the doubt because of what he's done as his time here as a Bronco. This happens in sports, and I think that coaches fall in love with players who have done well for them; and in the end - it can really hurt them. I think the Broncos coaching staff favoritism (that's how I'd put it) towards Rod Smith has hurt our abilities to develop other players.

Now, people will argue that Rod had 9 consecutive 70 catch seasons, and 8 1,000 yard seasons out of the past 10 and say, "That's enough consistency to merit him a top spot on the team." Perhaps, but I compare those numbers to other #1 receivers around the league and it is at best average, especially when you factor in the touchdowns and all that.

I think Rod can be a productive player in a slot role for the Broncos. He can use his smarts and what he's come to know as a seasoned veteran and make the tough catches over the middle and be a nice target for us to happen on crossing routes, etc. but he's no longer (in my opinion) a viable top receiving target. Rod Smith is going through the same thing Tim Brown and Jerry Rice went through; and I'm sure it's tough - but it's time we move on. Hopefully, Marshall can fill the shoes that Rod has been in all those years; it's a big time commitment, but the kid has talent. If he can't, another youngster in the near future will try; but in conclusion I guess - a lot of people have given Rod the benefit of the doubt for what he has done, instead of what he did last year when analyzing the wide receiver situation.

Scenario 3: Jake Plummer Fiasco.

I won't even bother touching this in-depth, but a lot of people gave Jake the benefit of the doubt because they were A) either Jake fans or B) were convinced he was the reason we won all those games. However, football has and always will be a team game, and some people just couldn't face the facts when Mike decided to pull the plug on Jake and replace him with Cutler. A lot of emotions went on there, but it's likely that Jay wouldn't have been drafted if Mike was confident in Jake.

Overall, I do agree that a lot of Broncos fans are smart, but those are just a few examples of how feelings for players get in the way of the intelligence aspect of analyzing the game.

Man, I'm tired now.
            Thats a quality post but regarding Rod Smith, there was something I didnt see you mention and that is that Rod Smith is good for blocking if nothing else. I dont think the coaches are putting that burden on Rod anymore. Remember Shanahan criticizing Lelie saying he didnt want to compete with the old man? Rod Smith adds value without catching passes. He blocks and he can mentor the young guys on the Bronco way. He is the last link (aside from Elam) to the SB years. I give the coaches the latitude to recognize that value he brings and keep him around.

Comment

while I know this thread was for a good reason and people "ruined it" (not IMO)

this made me almost fall outta my chair!

Originally posted by MasterShake
              Me agree! Me like white horse helmet men. They smash others. Sometimes me wonder why they throw away brown ball. They should keep ball as offering to god. Then god not kill crops.
              as a fellow ATHF fan... this post was PRICELESS!!!
              Sept. 10, 2006, [email protected] 10-18, Sept. 28, 2008, [email protected] 19-33, Nov. 16, 2014, [email protected] 7-22 <--Broncos games I've attended

Comment

Tell us something we dont know

Oh wait you cant we know everything

Comment

Originally posted by lynchembaby
                  your welcome everyone
                  by being a broncos fan i took our intelligence thru the roof
                  Intelligence must not include proper spelling.
                  :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode
                    Intelligence must not include proper spelling.
                    Actually definitions vary but a common one is that its something along the lines of processing information...taking information and giving it proper meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream

Man, I'm tired now.

Great post. As one other person did already point out, Rod is a great leader and mentor and that adds to his worth.

Sure Rod did "slow down" last year. He wasn't back in his old form. But do realize he was playing almost the whole season with a hip injury. I remember reading an article and the Broncos Medical dude said that he knew Rod was hurt, but he couldn't understand how he was even running on it. It is that self-sacrifice for the team that makes Rod so great. I do think he will rebound a little from last season. Sadly he wont be what he used to be, but he can be a great slot receiver and safety valve for Cutler.

Ohh yah, the broncos are the smartest fans!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

I am so proud to be among all you fart smellers...... I mean smart fellers.
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

i'd vote GB fans as intelligent.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey
                            i'd vote GB fans as intelligent.
                            Why? Because the suck and they know it?
                            sigpic

Comment

Marvin likes foozball.. Marvin favorite team is the the blue team with horsey.. Marvin go bye bye

Comment

I appreciate some of your comments, a few were very funny and I was aware in posting this that I'd get some sarcastic answers so it's all good When I say the most intelligent it's more a general term and I do feel there's a big difference. A intelligent fan can appreciate the facts rather then what they hope. An example would be if I was a Raiders fan and they were playing the Colts a intelligent fan when asked to predict the game would probably say Colts will win I hope we do but the odds aren't great. A un-intelligent fan would say they'll most likely beat the Colts 45-3 or suggest that Peyton Manning should be released and re-hired to work the concessions in the stands(he could really throw those hot dogs around to the right people from long distances ).

Comment

Working...
                                X