• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have 2 Champ Baileys...
    sigpic

Comment

If I could change one thing...

Jake Plummer would have left Denver with a ring.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by Anikai
        I would have 2 Champ Baileys...
        Haha, make it four so we could use some on offense as well!

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Remember the old Deion Sanders commercial?

At the end, Jerry Jones says, "If I had 11 of him, I could rule the world."

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

You all have it wrong. How about, Pay-per-view regular season games. This would keep the poor (like myself) from being raped by sorry a** Direct TV and would keep me from paying for the 10+ games that end up on basic cable TV already. Then again, they'll raise the prices to those of boxing as well. Football is a luxury sport for the rich.
            I got Kid's man!!! with lil Broncos helmets on sunday

Comment

I would love to see the Broncos defense re-establish the 'Orange Crush' old school mentality... that if they were winning at home starting the 4th quarter they would close the opponent out. The mile-hi altitude should always favor the Broncos!

Comment

I DID cover that, actually.

Originally posted by Cutler2007
                I think this is just a tad bit overrated. Most players do not really breakout until their 3rd year. Most rookie contracts are for 4-5 years. After that player has a "breakout" then they want a new contract. We have one player that did just that in Javon Walker.

We drafted Lelie the same year GB drafted Walker. In the first 3 years Lelie had 2240 yards rec and Walker 2417. I think it is safe to say that both team received the same production out of its WRs. Now Walker wants more money so he gets traded to us for a 2nd rounder. Lelie wants to be the #1 guy so we trade him to Atlanta for a 3rd and a 4th rounder (basically worth a 2nd round pick).

So how did drafting Lelie instead of Walker hurt us? For the 1st few years both teams got equal production and both teams received about the same compensation when they left.
                When I said "few HoFers look like HoFers at the start". I don't know that it's an overrated perspective though. There's two ways to get premiere talent:

1) Go to a playoff team and try to pick off Pro Bowlers it can't pay, which means you pay through the nose and can sign less good players.

2) Draft them, which means they take what you're willing to pay them or leave football for a year, and it'll be that way for the next five years or so.

No question which is the better approach IF you can pull it off, but spotting talent in the draft is a lot harder than spotting it in the Pro Bowl. That said, remember time is a double edged sword; if you cough up the cash for someone elses Pro Bowler you have two possibilities:

1) His HoF career continues and every year or two you get to renegotiate an increasingly inflated contract or

2) He gets hurt and/or slows down and you end up paying five million a year for a guy who had his best seasons earning one or two somewhere else.

I'd rather be the Cowboys getting Aikman in '89 than the Vikings getting Herschel Walker. Or the Broncos with Steve Atwater as opposed to the Jets.
                SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Morambar
                  When I said "few HoFers look like HoFers at the start". I don't know that it's an overrated perspective though. There's two ways to get premiere talent:

1) Go to a playoff team and try to pick off Pro Bowlers it can't pay, which means you pay through the nose and can sign less good players.

2) Draft them, which means they take what you're willing to pay them or leave football for a year, and it'll be that way for the next five years or so.
                  I think there is one more and it is an increasing part of how teams build up talent:

3) Look for a good player in a scheme that does not suit his talents.

Bly, Warren and EE are good examples of this. We got each one of these guys cheaper than we should have because their previous team changed schemes that did not suit their skill set. Bly a two time probowler looked bad in a cover 2. EE and Warren (despite how many are down on him) have become excellent values for us, where they were cut loose do to Clev going 3-4.

The draft is always the best way to go because of the cheap contracts, but sometimes all you end up doing is developing a player so that he shines in someone elses sky.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                  J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                  R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
                    Mike Shanahan gets a lot of flack for his drafting, and JR, you consistently bring up AJ Smith of the Chargers. There's more to the job than just being a GM, there's a scouting department involved, and a whole lot of works that people don't even bother to discuss in regards to prospects. Denver has never, EVER been in position to draft top level talent, and continually have had to make trades and sacrifices to get it. Denver being pro-active in the draft the past three years seems to have paid off for them.

Key words, DENVER has been PRO-ACTIVE. Not one guy.

Shanahan gets the grief for bad drafts, and gets the praise for the good ones. Shanahan probably has the final say in the process, but he is not scouting these players and he is not Ted Sundquist. Yes, Shanahan is highly involved, but if you're going to place it all on Mike, it's unfair.

When you compare the amount of players that the Chargers, Broncos, Patriots draft and what kind of impact they have, there is a similiar hit percentage per team, in fact - there was recent evidence that Denver was just as good if not better. We traditionally have been better at developing Day 2 talent and have struggled with our first day selections outside a few positions. Everyone does.

For every LT there is a Jermaine Fazande.

Hell, even Tay Cody?

Toniu Fonoti?

Reche Caldwell?

Ben Leber?

Courtney VanBuren?

Other first day examples.

Every team has back picks. It's bound to happen. Outside Fazande, all awesome AJ selections, right?

Far more into this situation than people even care to look into.
                    Yet Aj smith oversees the scouting department.

Who oversees ours.

Just curious if our trades and FA see to work out so well Are there two different scouting departments? One for college one for pros?

I think it i the same it is easier to see what a play is doing against eh pros than it is against Lukewarmwater State U. It is definitive against KC, but they are unable to project the kids.

This has been my point forever he does well in one area. But has sucked in the other.

Maybe it has something to do with it takes days or weeks to make a trade or sign a FA but only 5-15 minutes to make a draft choice.

Something smells Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                      What's your problem with Kaiser?

If it wasn't for him John Elway would have never worn a Denver Broncos uniform.

I think Pat Bowlen was in town when this all went down. I remember hearing something about Dan Reeves being called on the golf course and being asked if he'd like John. Needless to say what the answer was.

Comment

I'd move the Broncos to LA so that I could watch every game. Then I'd take them with me wherever I moved. Because, let's face it, you have to win lottery to buy a house down here.

Seriously though, how mad would you all be if the team became the LA Broncos?

Comment

We've had cap issues.

Originally posted by Cutler2007
                          I think there is one more and it is an increasing part of how teams build up talent:

3) Look for a good player in a scheme that does not suit his talents.

Bly, Warren and EE are good examples of this. We got each one of these guys cheaper than we should have because their previous team changed schemes that did not suit their skill set. Bly a two time probowler looked bad in a cover 2. EE and Warren (despite how many are down on him) have become excellent values for us, where they were cut loose do to Clev going 3-4.

The draft is always the best way to go because of the cheap contracts, but sometimes all you end up doing is developing a player so that he shines in someone elses sky.
                          If you can sign someone elses stars you can sign your own. Your point does have merit, no question, and justifies looking at some of the poorer teams to see; sometimes it's just coaching. That's harder to spot than quality in the draft though, and there's a lot fewer of those kinds of players. You're VERY unlikely to find a HoFer that way, unless you want to pay him accordingly from day one.
                          SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X