Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The AFC West: Who will show up? (No Smack)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AFC West: Who will show up? (No Smack)

The AFC West, one of the toughest divisions in the NFL to me is wide open.

You have the San Diego Chargers coming off an impressive 14-2 record with one of the most awesome running backs today in LaDainian Tomlinson and the premier Shawn Merriman leading the defensive side. But now that Marty is gone well Norv continue the success or will he fail yet again as a head coach?

The Kansas City Chiefs is known to be an aged offense but their defense is young and continue to improve. Will their defense be the team that carries them to the next level?

The Oakland Raiders is in a rebuilding year and just drafted a QB who they would like to make the cornerstone. Will he make an immediate impact or will the lackluster previous season stump his growth?

And of course, the Denver Broncos have a 2nd year QB who Mike Shanahan threw out on the field towards the end of last season to get a taste of NFL experience... will that gamble pay off?

I would like to see reasons why the Denver Broncos will win the AFC West along with the others in the division. I do not want to see Smack or 'Raiders/Chiefs/Chargers sucks' posts. Lets see how far this thread can go over the weekend.
    Last edited by AsianOrange; 05-04-2007, 10:49 AM.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
    2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Top to Bottom:

Denver 11-5

I am not being a homer, but looking at what this team did two years ago. The return of Lepsis will be huge. Almost as important will be the return of Brandon and Fergy. Our D really fell off when these two went down. Lastly, a healthy Warren will be key. If he returns to the 2005 form he will be a great player in Bates system.

Thw biggest question for this year IMO is not Cutler, but rather how our LBs play. Gold and DJ are still fast athletic guys and will need to play very well in this new system.

Chargers 10-6

I am not going to get into any additions or losses to the personel. The drop off will come entirely from the change in playcalling. We have seen first hand how a player (Jake) can be affected by a change in the guy who calls the plays. I think SD had near flawless playcalling last year and I doubt that it will continue without a hitch.

KC 7-9

I think KC will be have a lot of close wins and losses. This is just a team that is going through a changing of the guard. I think that their D will be a surprise this year, but it will be offset by a less efficient O.

Oak 6-10

Oakland will show some life this year on offense if they can get thier locker room in order. Getting rid of Moss was the first step, getting Porter to be a happy camper will be the next. Their D should look even better this year if the Offense can play better. Shell and staff were just horrible last year in their playcalling and getting guys to buy into the system (which sucked so maybe the players were right). They will look like a much better team this year.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
    J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
    R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Its a two horse race this year, imo, between the Broncos and the Chargers. I personally feel that while the Chargers have good talent, there is a couple of things working against them.

1) Can they really repeat that 14-2 record? We've seen it throughout the AFC West for years. A team will have a 14-2 or a 13-3 record, and just fall off the next year, not meeting up to the high expectations. Conversely, Denver underachieved last year.

2) Losing their entire coaching staff. People can harp on Marty's failures in the playoffs all they want, but the fact is that Marty has taken THREE teams now from the bottom of the barrel and made them winners. Then those teams fall off when he leaves. Nothing will change here. They replaced a winner in the NFL, with a coach that has NEVER won in the NFL. Not only did they lose a great coach in Marty, but they lost their offensive and defensive coordinators. Every player on the entire team is going to have to deal with a new coach this season. When they interviewed the players after Schottenheimer was released, every one of them said they were shocked and VERY disappointed because of how much they loved him as a coach and as a mentor. Marty KNOWS how to get the best out of players... he WILL be missed.

Denver on the other hand still has their solid Coach in Shanahan, and improved with the DC job.

3) They didn't exactly have a great offseason. They didn't exactly fill any needs, and their draft wasn't something special, especially their first round draft choice. The SD GM has been getting a lot of "GREAT" accolades around here lately with his drafts, but as a GM, he SUCKED this offseason. The way he handled the Marty situation and then hiring a loser coach... and the draft for them was not good. They had a chance to trade away a back-up RB for something, instead, they stayed close to the vest and kept him.. only guaranteeing him to leave next season for nothing to be gained.

Denver has had a fantastic offseason this year. Not only improving at RB, CB, Punter and TE, but adding depth to WR and LB. They lost a very good MLB, however, and we all know thats going to hurt. But the draft provided good players at NEEDED positions, with possibly the steal of the draft at DT.

4) We all know that the QB for the Chargers is a good young kid. But now he's coming into his sophmore season (as a starter) and having to change systems to Norv Turner (cough), while Cutler gets the advantage of having his true sophmore season with the same coach, and added weapons.

Comment

I think with our new defensive scheme which really takes advantage of the players we have, and have drafted will really be the key to how we do this season, I am very excited to see them play. I think our team is the most talented in the division, and with our new pickups on the offensive side of the ball, i can see us becoming MORE consistant on the offensive side. A stable and productive running game for us is key also, with the pickup of Graham and a great RB, our system is reinforced.

I think a very underrated move was picking up graham, bspn and other networks dont give enough attention to the moves we have made this offseason, its all about the pats etc to them, but i think the league is for a big suprise this year, 10 wins or more this year.

Comment

Chargers 13-3
          Broncos 13-3
          Chiefs 8-8
          Raiders 6-10

Raiders will be tough spoilers. Most of their losses will not be blowouts. Chiefs have
          a lot of holes. Chargers and Broncos do not appear to have many glaring
          weaknesses.

While the Chargers may have a bit better team than the Broncos on paper, due
          mostly to experience, the Broncos have probably the easier schedule. Whoever will
          win the Division will depend on the head to head competition. I look for the Chargers
          and Broncos to split, then sweep everyone else in the AFCW, with the possible
          exception of a surprise victory by the Raiders over someone.

-----

Comment

Broncos 12-4

They have the best overall team combined with the most stable leadership and coaching. This will push them above the rest of the division.

Chargers 9-7

The players will take a while to adjust to a completely new coaching staff. Players on the team will have great stats but the team will loose games as players miss assignments learning new system.

Raiders 7-9

The Raiders will be greatly improved and I predict some of their wins will come against top notch teams. The team is young with a new head coach.

Chiefs 5-11

They have shown in the past how average they can be without their hall of fame offensive line intact. We will now see it gets even worse as teams can gameplan for this. Take away the vet QB and things get even worse. Edwards gets fired at years end even tho it is the GM's fault the team has declined.

If even one of the d-line draft picks becames a reliable QB rusher, another new DLer steps up and plays well, Cutler gets a little better, smith picks up his game so we reconize the old Rod again, and no major injuries happen...I think the Broncos make noise in the playoffs.

If our d-line is the same at end of next year as it was this year we get knocked out 1st game.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

This year is probably going to be the most competitive in the West in recent memory. Almost all the teams, have significantly made strides to improve their team. The Chargers and Raiders are very, very young and the Chiefs have added some nice talent to their roster over the past couple of seasons too. I don't think we'll see anyone with more than 11 wins in this division. A lot of the division games will be tough, and I think when analyzing a few future match-ups each team has some sort of weakness against an opponent from the NFC.

I think the Chargers are still the cream of the crop. Until you prove that you're better on the field, (whether it's us, the Raiders or Chiefs) the Chargers are reigning AFC West Champions, and I expect them to back it up.

I view Denver a notch below San Diego. They have a lot of new people who are expected to start or contribute big, so chemistry may be a problem. I'd expect us to get a wild card birth though.

Kansas City is a legit team, and could sneak into the playoffs. I have my reserves on several positions on their team, but I think they could make a push for a wild card or play spoiler for another team, like us this year. I'd say 8-8 at the worst for the Chiefs.

Oakland will get better in time. With a rookie QB, I expect some struggles but I think a 7-9 or 8-8 season is within the realm of possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by AsianOrange
                The AFC West, one of the toughest divisions in the NFL to me is wide open.

You have the San Diego Chargers coming off an impressive 14-2 record with one of the most awesome running backs today in LaDainian Tomlinson and the premier Shawn Merriman leading the defensive side. But now that Marty is gone well Norv continue the success or will he fail yet again as a head coach?

The Kansas City Chiefs is known to be an aged offense but their defense is young and continue to improve. Will their defense be the team that carries them to the next level?

The Oakland Raiders is in a rebuilding year and just drafted a QB who they would like to make the cornerstone. Will he make an immediate impact or will the lackluster previous season stump his growth?

And of course, the Denver Broncos have a 2nd year QB who Mike Shanahan threw out on the field towards the end of last season to get a taste of NFL experience... will that gamble pay off?

I would like to see reasons why the Denver Broncos will win the AFC West along with the others in the division. I do not want to see Smack or 'Raiders/Chiefs/Chargers sucks' posts. Lets see how far this thread can go over the weekend.
                who will show up in the afc west:
                I see the chargers winning the west with bronco's one game back..
                raiders I see going 500
                chiefs thats a hard one by looking at there team its not real good,but the chiefs seem to show up year in and year after,so who knows they might win it all..they are a scary team

Comment

San Diego is the team to beat until otherwise noted.

One thought on the Chargers though, is that they may be due for some bad luck. They had no significant injuries last year. I'm not saying Tomlinson is going to tear his ACL, but... I doubt they'll have the same good furtune in '07.

All this said - we're not the favourites in this division, and we shouldn't be considered as such until we've atleast played a few games. San Diego went 14-3 for a reason.
                  - [B]BroncoFanCanada

Comment

my honest opinion is we will get at least 10 wins this year. i think it is 6 of our last 9 games are on the road.

it also seems every year conditioning is an issue. so we might start off hot but lose a few later in the season like normally.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007
                      Top to Bottom:

Denver 11-5

Chargers 10-6

KC 7-9

Oak 6-10
                      Obviously, there will be some level of homerism in my prediction.

Chargers 13-3 Our team hasn't changed that much. People keep harping about our new coaching staff. However, our playbooks on both sides of the ball will remain virtually the same. Norv implemented the offensive playbook that we've been running for the last five years. Cottrell learned under Wade Phillips and will be using a majority of the same plays Wade has designed. Our draftees Craig Davis and Eric Weddle should earn starting jobs right away and improve our weakest areas. LT has a few more elite seasons left in him so the time for the Bolts to win is NOW.

Broncos 10-6 This could drop to 9-7 if Cutler struggles. The additions of Graham and Henry will immediately upgrade your running game and will provide a boon to the offense when Cutler isn't playing up to potential. If all goes as expected, your defensive draft picks will improve the lackluster pass rush. The schedule makers didn't do you any favors with games @Indy and @Chi but your team should be in the playoff hunt by season's end.

Chiefs 6-10 With the unsettled status of the QB and another key loss to the once vaunted O-line, look for KC to take another step backwards. LJ will continue to get his career shortened as they run him until his legs fall off. The addition of Bowe may finally give KC another viable target other than Tony G but Bowe take some time to adjust to the NFL. The defense is starting to find an identity but it's the offense that will sputter and cost them games this upcoming season.

Raiders 4-12 They'll be implementing the Donks ZBS so we'll have to see if their O-line can make that transition. McCown or Walter may start the season but look for Russell to take his lumps midway through. The Oakland D will continue to surprise people but the Oakland O will continue to disappoint.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXndUKyno7Y

Comment

AFC West is kinda weak this year.

The Chargers should take the division given their level of talent but Norv Turner is not a capable coach and I seriously doubt that he could coach his team past the AFC's elite teams.

The Broncos have a shot at the Chargers as they have brought in a lot of new players to fill holes. The problem is that they have issues at depth in some spots and inexperience at others. More than likely the Broncos are a wild card team as injuries and inexperience will slow them down as the season wears on.

The Chiefs had the same problems as the Broncos but did not fill all their holes. Instead the Chiefs are looking to the future. I do not think they will challenge for a playoff spot.

The Raiders made some positive personnel moves but they are still going to need time to come together and their coach will also need to adjust to the pro game. Expect the Raiders to have 3-5 wins.
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        "…our brothers are silent, for they dare not speak the thoughts of their minds. For all must agree with all, and they cannot know if their thoughts are the thoughts of all, and so they fear to speak."

Anthem

Comment

Originally posted by HardCharger
                          Obviously, there will be some level of homerism in my prediction.

Chargers 13-3

Broncos 10-6
                          Chiefs 6-10

Raiders 4-12

Actually that was a pretty good argument HC without too much homerism (I only edited your comments because of space ) I totally agree about your order of finish and basically about the records of the bottom three. I think the Chiefs are clearly on the decline and the Raiders, while better, still have a ways to go. As for us, I believe we'll be a lot better but I still expect us to lose at least two games we have no business losing, such as the first and last games of last year.

The only place I would disagree is the record at the top. I find it hard to believe, when you factor in everything, that the Chargers will win 13 games next year. This has nothing to do with the coach (OK, maybe a little) but more to do with what a previous poster said regarding injuries, and also luck. The NFL is just too darn competitive to be able to go back-to-back years with 13 + wins, IMHO. So again, I think you guys will win the division but I would expect it to be with 11 or 12 wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Calif. Bronco
                            The only place I would disagree is the record at the top. I find it hard to believe, when you factor in everything, that the Chargers will win 13 games next year. This has nothing to do with the coach (OK, maybe a little) but more to do with what a previous poster said regarding injuries, and also luck. The NFL is just too darn competitive to be able to go back-to-back years with 13 + wins, IMHO. So again, I think you guys will win the division but I would expect it to be with 11 or 12 wins.
                            That's where the homerism really hits home. I looked at our schedule and said..."16-0 easy". 13 wins is still optimistic but I do think 11 or 12 wins is attainable.

The injury factor is the great equalizer though. Indeed, we were fortunate to stay as healthy as we were. The biggest scare last season was when our starting left tackle Roman Oben went down and we had to insert the rookie Marcus McNeill. No one knew he would do so well so quickly. He actually broke both his hands and managed to play the entire season. The good thing is they are now both completely healthy. I feel most positions have pretty good depth. LT going down would be the worst case scenario but having Turner for one more season puts a lot of Chargers fans at ease. Even if Rivers went down, we have Volek as a capable backup. I think the area where we could suffer the most is our CB's. After Cromartie, there is no one capable of stepping in for Florence or Jammer. Weddle has played corner but I'd really like not to have to play that scenario out.

All in all, it's good to know going into the next season that my team has a good chance at the title.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXndUKyno7Y

Comment

San Diego 12-4
                              KC 9-7
                              Denver 9-7
                              Oakland 6-10
                              "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                              X