Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wiil r.smith really be back 100% no slack..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoserman117
    replied
    Originally posted by columbiaskinny
    Maybe this situation with Rod (injury/surgery) will be a blessing in disguise.

In the Pre-seaon of the 97' season Elway ruptured his Biceps tendon. No one was sure how his arm was going to react. It ended up being a blessing and loosening up his arm.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...lway%2c%20John

Elways 1997 Season Passing Stats
    Att: 502
    Comp: 280
    Yds: 3,635
    Comp.%: 55.8
    Yd./Att: 7.24
    TD: 27
    TD%: 5.4
    Int: 11
    Int.%: 2.2
    LG: 78
    Tkd/Yds: 34/203
    Rtg: 87.5

I'll give Rod the benefit of the doubt.

As a Bronco fan, I always try to look at the bright side of things.
    Oh hey I remember that... good point!

Leave a comment:

• antiwup
    replied
    i will say this we 'll see when the season starts and finishes than bring this topic back.

Leave a comment:

• columbiaskinny
    replied
    Maybe this situation with Rod (injury/surgery) will be a blessing in disguise.

In the Pre-seaon of the 97' season Elway ruptured his Biceps tendon. No one was sure how his arm was going to react. It ended up being a blessing and loosening up his arm.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...lway%2c%20John

Elways 1997 Season Passing Stats
    Att: 502
    Comp: 280
    Yds: 3,635
    Comp.%: 55.8
    Yd./Att: 7.24
    TD: 27
    TD%: 5.4
    Int: 11
    Int.%: 2.2
    LG: 78
    Tkd/Yds: 34/203
    Rtg: 87.5

I'll give Rod the benefit of the doubt.

As a Bronco fan, I always try to look at the bright side of things.

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    He's the starter alongside Walker. He knows our playbook inside out and knows exactly how this offense is run. He provides an incredibly reliable receiver for our second year QB, blocks well on run plays, and always gives %110.

If you asked me, would I rather have Rod Smith, or 12 Randy Mosses, I'd take the Rod Smith because I know he is going to do whatever he possibly can to get this team into the end zone and win us the game. He could care less about money, as long as he gets the W, he's happy. I'm pretty sure he'd get on special teams, and return punts and kicks for us if that's where he felt would help us the most at.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Respect

Originally posted by Superchop7
    Rod has been the best human being in an NFL uniform for a long time.

I could care less if he can play, he will let us know whats really going on, I will back him 100% on any decision he makes.

He has earned that respect from me, 100 times over.

If he says he can play.....he can play.

Wow! This is actually refreshing on these boards.

Leave a comment:

• Cutler2007
    replied
    Originally posted by JMike811
    I agree with a bunch of posts talking about all the intangibles Rod brings to the table and how much heart he's going to pour out on the field each week. As far as him being 100 percent, it's hard to tell until we get to opening day. But, I've known Rod for two years and I've noticed that same fire in his eye as I see him around Dove Valley. Sure, he can't really do all the offseason stuff the other guys can because of rehab but he's still all over the place working out and doing everything humanly possible to get ready.
    Do you have any feel for if Rod would be ok as a #3 guy? I would actually like to see him take less snaps and go for another couple years. Just want him to be a part of the team for as long as possible.

Leave a comment:

• JMike811
    replied
    I agree with a bunch of posts talking about all the intangibles Rod brings to the table and how much heart he's going to pour out on the field each week. As far as him being 100 percent, it's hard to tell until we get to opening day. But, I've known Rod for two years and I've noticed that same fire in his eye as I see him around Dove Valley. Sure, he can't really do all the offseason stuff the other guys can because of rehab but he's still all over the place working out and doing everything humanly possible to get ready.

Leave a comment:

• NorthernWind
    replied
    Originally posted by JADJARHD
    In my opinion the reason Smith's game dropped off last year was that he missed the whole preseason with injury. As a result he and Plummer never really got in synch last year. Then, when Plummer got benched Cutler showed a definite preference for the second team guys that he had worked with the most and it cost Smith more receptions.

If Smith is healthy enough to play and get in synch with Cutler he could start and catch between 60 - 70 passes. However, I think that his hip injury will prevent him from getting practice time with Cutler and that will cost him.

Chances are Smith will be the #3 guy, or retire. I love him as a Bronco, but it seems that the time has come to end it.
    I like your point here, Cutler did like to go to Marshall alot.

Leave a comment:

• Dean
    replied
    Only Rod's doctor and the Bronco's training staff have a firm handle on when and if he is likely going to be back anywhere near normal.

The surgery is a two edged sword. For any player his age to excel, requires constant work and conditioning just to tread water. This injury hampers his ability to do that. However, without the surgery he definitely not be coming back to compete this year. If it was the pain from the scar tissue that took him off his game last year, he may still have one or two good years left.

I know that I wouldn't bet against a free agent that has come as far as Rod Smith has come. Heart, knowledge, and exceptional work ethic can more than balance out declining athletic skills at least for awhile.

There is no question but what he has earned the right to compete for a spot on the roster and to choose when it is his time to move on.
    Last edited by Dean; 05-05-2007, 08:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• muse
    replied
    If his hip is even back to 80% then he'll have a good year and come out as the starter. Considering he did catch 50+ balls last year when he shouldn't have been playing...I really hope he can recover.

Leave a comment:

• Superchop7
    replied
    Rod has been the best human being in an NFL uniform for a long time.

I could care less if he can play, he will let us know whats really going on, I will back him 100% on any decision he makes.

He has earned that respect from me, 100 times over.

If he says he can play.....he can play.
    Last edited by Superchop7; 05-04-2007, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Can Rod comeback healthy? Yeah I suppose so. But I don't think he's the same player he once was. That's not a knock, players decline as they get older.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-05-2007, 06:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarJ
    replied
    I think Rod will make a comback. He will make some clutch plays again this year, you'll see. He has always worked harder than anyone. If his bones were that old and he couldnt play at a high level any more, then he will retire during training camp. That is just the kind of person he is.

The one drawback is he and Cutler are not working together now, but they will have time this summer. I see a 70 catch season.

Leave a comment:

• ebsoria
    replied
    I dont expect Rod to come back and be the "Rod" we remember.. he's too old and has had too many hits. However, no one can argue the leadership presence he is just being on the field and I fully expect him to return with a drive that does indeed get him his 51 and to be a mentor for Marshall and the yong guys on the team. Him being there makes us better.. him being there AND getting his 51?!?! WOW!

Leave a comment:

• Morambar
    replied
    Who can say at this point?

I think he'll be one of the top two receivers on the team, not because Marshall or Stokely aren't good, but because he's that much better. One of the things that used to really infuriate me was watching Rod get pounded because he was our only clutch receiver and he had to chase a lot of bad passes into safeties. I'm hoping that's a thing of the past, and that the off season and surgery will undo a lot of the damage. Who knows how much; I got the impression the procedure is intended to remove a lot of scar tissue, so we could see a real rejuvenation. But at this point it's impossible to tell; I'll keep hoping and praying for the best and that we can get him and his remaining child those last Rings before he retires. Rod's truly a class act all the way around who always does what's expected without complaint (has Rod EVER held out for more money, trash talked his teammates/competitors or any of that garbage?) I'm optimistic he'll remind everyone why he's a star for at least a few more years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X