Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jason Elam's Kick the Longest in NFL History (proof)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Elam's Kick the Longest in NFL History (proof)

We all have fond memories of that 1998 regular season matchup with the Jaguars. The Broncos were rolling against the young Jaguars who had ruined their season only two years prior. Then, with only a few seconds left in the half, Jason Elam trotted out on the field and nailed a 63 yard kick, tied for the longest in NFL history with club-footed kicker Tom Dempsey, who also kicked a field goal from 63 yards in 1970 for the New Orleans Saints.

For several years, I have contended that Elam's kick was actually longer than Dempsey's. I remembered reading it somewhere, but I could never find the source. And without proof, my argument was hard to make. But today, I found what I was looking for.

I was cleaning some old junk out of my closet when I came across my old 1997 edition of "Total Football - The Official Encyclopedia of the National Football League." I was kind of surprised that I still had this outdated book. For nostalgic purposes, I flipped through some of the commentary pages, reading about past legends of the NFL.

Then, I happened to stumble across this little nugget. This was published before Jason Elam's kick, so no reference to Elam is made.

I know this is a bit petty on my part, but I believe Elam deserves this record:

(This comes from page 318 - you be the judge)

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

By the way, Elias Sports Bureau signed off on this book, so you know it's legit.

Comment

That's good to know, I always knew Elam was the man!! So let me ask you this, if Elam's kick was farther (just in terms of distance, not placement) then Dempsey's, why isn't he officially credited with the record?

Comment

Originally posted by 4th Amigo
        That's good to know, I always knew Elam was the man!! So let me ask you this, if Elam's kick was farther (just in terms of distance, not placement) then Dempsey's, why isn't he officially credited with the record?
        Two reasons:

One, they are both scored as 63 yard kicks. Even though Elam's was longer, once it's in the scorebook, it's official.

Two, this is an obscure blurb in an outdated encyclopedia. I don't think anyone else is even aware of this technicality.
        Last edited by PatrickdaDookie; 05-04-2007, 05:12 PM.

Comment

does someone have a clip of the two kicks?

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
            Two reasons:

One, they are both scored as 63 yard kicks. Even though Elam's was longer, once it's in the scorebook, it's official.

Two, this is an obscure blurb in an outdated encyclopedia. I don't think anyone else is even aware of this technicality.
            Thats great stuff Dookie. This is one of those things that gets obscured for a variety of reasons. 1) We all know Denver isnt exactly a favorite of media on the east coast 2) The records has been so often referred to that its hard to back track on Dempseys record....so many years the number '63' existed in lore, and its hard to take it away. BTW, if you used the old rules would Elam have a 64 yard FG?

Just another thing about that kick that often goes unmentioned. At the time Shanahan chose to go for the FG, Elam was perfect on the season. A lot of coaches protect their kickers [cough... Belichick/Vinatieri].

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
              Two reasons:

I heard a couple announcer talking about the very same technicality a few years ago during a Bronco game.

As to the record, it doesn't matter, they are both 63. As to which was longer, Elam's was a bit longer.
              The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Dempsey only had half of a foot which was shaped like a club...so I he had a little bit of an advantage.

Comment

Thanks that is very interesting
                  Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                  Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                  Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Be happy in knowing that Elam's kick was with a "regular" foot, so he has the record for that. If we wanna get technical.

Comment

I don't get alot of Bronco games in South Carolina other than Prime Time.

I'm just happy and fotunate i got to see Elams 63 yarder.

Comment

Actually Elam's was really longer because:

Rule Changes

Sweeping rules changes were adopted to add action and tempo to games: one sudden-death overtime period was added for preseason and regular-season games; the goal posts were moved from the goal line to the end lines.......

For some odd reason the distance is still the same go figure.
                        Helping rock the Stadium on game day!!!

Comment

You need to foward this info to Andrew Mason and have someone from our media see what he can do with it!

Comment

That game was my very first game ever. It was awesome. Mile High was one of the loudest things I'd ever heard in my life that day. We were in the South Stands, too.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

If you were to take that technicallity into consideration they would have to rescore yardage for all the old greats like Jim Brown. Not worth it and I'd rather see someone get the record by kicking 64 yards rather than see Jason Elam get it through a technicality. I am just proud that Elam tied the record.

Comment

Working...
                              X