Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jason Elam's Kick the Longest in NFL History (proof)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KCLadyFan
    longer? by what? a half an inch
    No, about 5 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by lex
      No, about 5 yards.
      well he did say a bit............
      Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
        Not to put a damper on all this, but Jason's kick WAS done here, at 5,000 + feet of altitude.

The ball simply travels farther up here.

Ask any baseball player.....

However, I was also at that game, and have a Record Breaker card of Jason's right here on the wall. Just another part of "Bronconess" I am proud of.

But if wanna put in asterisk's, ya gotta include the altitude for Jason's kick.
        I would say there a wider margin for error in hitting a home run in baseball verse kicking a field goal.
        Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-06-2007, 11:24 AM.
        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by sneakers
          Dempsey only had half of a foot which was shaped like a club...so I he had a little bit of an advantage.
          I thought I read somewhere that the tip of his shoe was made of wood.

Comment

Originally posted by bjoli198
            Dempseys was from the 38yard line, it was a 72 yard fg by the way we masure today, so how could elams from the 47yard line be longer?
            Re-read what I posted and you'll have your answer.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan
              well he did say a bit............
              The difference is about a foot. =p

Comment

More on the Feild Goal Record:

http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/Longest...FL_History.htm

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
                  The difference is about a foot. =p
                  Was that a joke (as in having a deformed foot)?

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                    Not to put a damper on all this, but Jason's kick WAS done here, at 5,000 + feet of altitude.

The ball simply travels farther up here.

Ask any baseball player.....

However, I was also at that game, and have a Record Breaker card of Jason's right here on the wall. Just another part of "Bronconess" I am proud of.

But if wanna put in asterisk's, ya gotta include the altitude for Jason's kick.
                    dempsey should get an astrisk for having a wooden shoe that gave him more kicking power. its also called cheating!
                    GO ANGELS!!!!!!! signed torii hunter!!!

[

denver will go 7-9 this year and 12-4 next year and a 14-2 the following year and superbowl appearance by 2010

Comment

By the way, Dempsey's kick JUST BARELY went over, so if he had backed up a foot, it might not have gone in. =p

Comment

Np.

Originally posted by sbutk
                        I'm not sure what the heck was wrong, either. Today when I try it, lo and behold, it works.

...Thanks for providing that bit of history.

Happy to oblige; thought ya'll would enjoy that.
                        SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Wiki says he made it by "a couple feet".

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
                          By the way, Dempsey's kick JUST BARELY went over, so if he had backed up a foot, it might not have gone in. =p
                          And, no, I don't know where in New Orleans the article was written. I'm kinda hoping Elam will retire owning it outright; I know it's been ten years, but kickers play a while, and I remember when we got him hearing someone (might have been Madden) talking about he practiced kicks from midfield in college. I remember that and thinking "kicks from midfield at sea level+5280=record!" Just as a nod to graciousness, here's how Dempsey ends his article on his own accomplishment:

"Of course, Jason Elam fled my record in 1998 while kicking for the Denver Broncos. I admired him because I knew what it took. I faxed him a letter the next day, and he called me back and we talked for a while. "

"I wanted to congratulate Jason because when I set the record, Bert Rechichar was very gracious to me. He called to congratulate me, sent me a telegram. I told Jason that if someone breaks our record, it would be up to him to do the same thing. He just laughed. "
                          SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ging
                            as a long time lurker and first time poster at broncomania I would like to share my 2 cents. I was born with club feet and I would like to clear up a few misconceptions. The majority of case today can be fixed, for the most part, and allow the person to live a normal life. It usually takes surgery, numerous casts and leg braces to straighted the foot bones to the natural position. This can never be completely fixed however and the result is very limited flexablilty in the ankle. The foot looks mostly normal except the arch is higher and often the foot is smaller. Lots of times the limited flexability in the ankle leads to under developed calf muscles, especially on the inside of the calf.

Just him being able to walk (let alone kick football) is a tribute to modern medicine. It is in no way is an advantage over a regular foot. He still had to have the leg strenght to kick it that far.

Good point consider me enlightened, and welcome to Broncomania!

Comment

Originally posted by bjoli198
                              Dempseys was from the 38yard line, it was a 72 yard fg by the way we masure today, so how could elams from the 47yard line be longer?

Not if the goal posts were at the goal-line back then, dude. i.e. You need to subtract 10 yards.

sigpic
                              They're your teammates, now.
                              Best of luck, TT!
                              ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X