Getting our $s worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting our $s worth

Relative to their contracts, who do you think are the best deals for the Broncos. I.E., what Broncos players are we getting a good deal on? Conversely, what players are under-performing for what we are paying them.

Considering everyone on the NFL has an even playing field (salary cap wise) the trick is to get the most value for your $100 million.

IMO:

Best Deals:

1. Mike Bell. Making close the NFL minimum last year (and this), he was 2nd on the team in carries and yards and first in rushing TDs.

2. Erik Pears. Gotta like a guy starting in the NFL for you at OT that can't afford a summer home yet!

3. Rod Smith. He went from Worst to Best on my list after he renegotiated his contract. I think $1.5 million for a future hall of famer and team leader that could still have a great season is a bargain.

Worst Deals

1. Gerard Warren. Pourous run defense in 2nd half makes you wonder if he is worth half of the $6 million a season he gets.

2. Ian Gold. Dito with Warren, he comes on in spurts, but I don't remember hearing his name too often when the team fell apart in '06. He makes $5 million a season I believe.

3. Jake Plummer. I think we are taking a substantial cap hit from this guy this season. Ouch!

We will see

1. Jay Cutler: If he plays like a Pro Bowl Quarterback then $5-6 million a season for a stud is a huge bargain in today's NFL.

2. Dre Bly: I'm just hoping we get $6 million worth of value here. If he plays up to this level I will be very happy.

3. Travis Henry: Again, if he plays like a $5 million RB I'll be pretty happy. I do see the possibility of him outperforming higher paid backs.

I would give Warren a pass. Our run "D" went to heck only after he was injured. If you want to say he was a ripoff because he got injured that's fine but his level of play before that was inline with his production on the field.

He was the guts of the stout defense Denver had to start the year. How many runs needed to be pushed outside or QB forced to roll out because the middle was getting collapsed. He did a very good job and was the unglamorous core of the D.

In my mind, his injury and Brandon's plus Plummers regression are the three reasons we didn't make the playoffs. If just one of those hadn't happened, we'd be in the playoffs. If two hadn't, we'd probably be division champs challenging for the conference and had all three not occured, I honestly believe Denver would have been competing for the SB title.

Comment

1. Champ Bailey - Yes, he makes a lot of money. But he could be making a lot more. He could hold out for a bigger contract, but he hasn't. He is the best defensive player in the league. He is underpaid, despite a big contract

2. D. J. Williams- This is part speculation, but I see him leading the team in tackles this year. Still on his rookie contract, a player with his athleticism and ability, so long as he can take that next stop, is definately worth big $$$

3. Marcus Thomas- Again, speculating. But he will get a 4th round draft picks contract, and I project him as a starter right out of camp. He will have a big year if he stays healthy and out of trouble

I think Gold and Warren have a chance to flourish this year. With the new players around them and the new scheme, they may just earn those contracts. Plummer, as you stated, definately the worst. If only we could have gotten that draft pick for him to make up for the cap hit. I agree with Bell, Pears, and Smith if he can come back healthy and be productive. Just wanted to add a couple names to the list

Comment

This is an interesting thread. I'd also say a few years down the road, if our draft picks this year play out well under their rookie contracts, that's a bargain. I mean honestly, all three of our defensive lineman will come at a cheaper costs than Patrick Kerney would have. Ryan Harris probably won't start for a year or two - but I think he'll be a bargain too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
          This is an interesting thread. I'd also say a few years down the road, if our draft picks this year play out well under their rookie contracts, that's a bargain. I mean honestly, all three of our defensive lineman will come at a cheaper costs than Patrick Kerney would have. Ryan Harris probably won't start for a year or two - but I think he'll be a bargain too.
          I think the same goes for Dumervil, Bell, Marshall, and Scheffler from last years draft. If they develop further, as they should, they are bargains. That is the great thing about drafting over free agency.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBroncos84
            1. Champ Bailey - Yes, he makes a lot of money. But he could be making a lot more. He could hold out for a bigger contract, but he hasn't. He is the best defensive player in the league. He is underpaid, despite a big contract
            Champ makes $9 million a year and top at his position. How much do you think he's worth? $12? $18?

Comment

Originally posted by broncsx3
              Champ makes $9 million a year and top at his position. How much do you think he's worth? $12? $18?
              If Nate Clemments can get the contract he just got, then yes. Champ Bailey could make over 10 million a season and it would be completely justified.

Comment

If Nate Clemments can get the contract he just got, then yes. Champ Bailey could make over 10 million a season and it would be completely justified.

Yup and I wouldn't be surprised for us to rework his deal sometime soon. There was some article about how he isn't going to complain and then talks about how Denver usually talks about redoing the deal wit a couple years left... or soemthing? It was awhile ago
                Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

I don't think the best player at every position should get a raise every time a lesser player signs a bigger contract.....Most of Clements dollar amount is funny money anyway.

The Broncos made Bailey the highest player at his position at the time when he had never done a damn thing for the Broncos.

Bailey and the Broncos should, and probably will, revisit his contract situation in a year or two if he's still playing at this level. But a team can't keep giving a player a new contract every time another signs for more....Not even a player like Bailey.

None of this makes Bailey a

Bailey's contract is most likely due to spike any year now anyway....And none of this means Bailey is "underpaid".
                  Last edited by stnzed; 05-06-2007, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed
                    I don't think the best player at every position should get a raise every time a lesser player signs a bigger contract.....Most of Clements dollar amount is funny money anyway.

The Broncos made Bailey the highest player at his position at the time when he had never done a damn thing for the Broncos.

Bailey and the Broncos should, and probably will, revisit his contract situation in a year or two if he's still playing at this level. But a team can't keep giving a player a new contract every time another signs for more....Not even a player like Bailey.

Bailey's contract is most likely due to spike any year now anyway....
                    I am aware. I am simply stating that having the best defensive player in the league at $9 million a season is a good deal for us. He will get a reworked contract in a season or two. I am not endorsing paying him more now, just saying that he could take that stance and nobody could justifiably be mad at him for doing it. Even if he is the highest paid player at his position, he is underpaid for what he does.

Comment

So how much should Champ be getting if $9 million is underpaid?

And remember.... if he makes exactly what he is "worth" then having him isn't that great for us. If he is worth $14 million, and we pay him $14 million... then we aren't really gaining an advantage over other NFL teams in the race to have the best team.

Comment

I am aware. I am simply stating that having the best defensive player in the league at $9 million a season is a good deal for us. He will get a reworked contract in a season or two. I am not endorsing paying him more now, just saying that he could take that stance and nobody could justifiably be mad at him for doing it. Even if he is the highest paid player at his position, he is underpaid for what he does.

Actually I hope he doesn't get a new contract....I think he should and I think he will....But I hope he doesn't. If that makes sense?!?!?!

Leaves more cap space to go after FA's and make trades. It's not about Bailey's status in the league, it's about building a better team. And the Broncos still have needs to address in the near future....

Comment

It's an ego thing.

Originally posted by stnzed

Bailey's contract is most likely due to spike any year now anyway....And none of this means Bailey is "underpaid".
                          Which is one of many reasons I have so much respect for anomalies like Rod and Aikman who give BACK money for the team.

Example: Thurman Thomas got a huge new contract in 1993 that pushed him ahead of Emmit Smith as the Leagues top paid RB (never mind that Smiths team had just beaten his in the SB).

Result: Emmit holds out until the second week of the regular season solely because he couldn't get a contract for $100,000 more over the same period (to put it in perspective, I think it was like $34.5 mill over five years vs. $35.5 mill). Dallas starts 0-2, including a loss to a 'Skins team with a losing season. Aikman gives back part of a contract he'd just signed the previous year so they can give Smith what he wants, sign him, and the Cowboys finish 14-2 in route to a successful defense of their title. I'm not saying Dallas is 16-0 if Emmit starts the season; I'm just saying they didn't lose a game with him.

As far as Warren and Gold, I don't think the latter was properly used last year, and the former was all alone in the middle, which is why he was injured so much. Warren has help now, but with Al gone Gold will have to step up, because he's going to be the primary LB covering backs and the like in the slot and out of the backfield. Warren should remain the anchor of our line and earn his keep, but it's hard not be optimistic for the long term with all of our young rising stars already proving themselves on the field, most of them at a bargain.
                          SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by broncsx3
                            So how much should Champ be getting if $9 million is underpaid?

And remember.... if he makes exactly what he is "worth" then having him isn't that great for us. If he is worth $14 million, and we pay him $14 million... then we aren't really gaining an advantage over other NFL teams in the race to have the best team.
                            I think you are missing my point. I am not saying "Poor Champ, he should be making more money. Being the highest paid player at his position just isn't enough!". Champ signed a deal with us that made him the highest paid player at corner, at a time when there was a debate as to who was the best. He was "one of the best". He got his market value at that time. His first season here was pretty decent. His second season with us might be the best season I have ever seen from a cornerback. At that point, it was no longer "one of the best" when you say his name, it became "the best". Then last season he led the league in intecerptions despite teams avoiding him like the plague, and he possibly had an even better year than the one before. In all this time, lesser players are getting big money contracts. The salary cap has gone up.

Conclusion: Champ Bailey's market value has increased. If he was a free agent right now, he would have a bigger contract. Therefore, he is being paid less than his market value. This makes him a bargain

I am not saying pay him more, or that a player should rework his contract every time the cap goes up or a lesser player gets overpaid. I am saying he is worth more than he is paid. No one in the league should be making $14 million a season. I never said that number, someone else did. I am just saying that his current market value is more than what he is making. Thats what this thread is about, and that is my opinion.
                            Last edited by GoBroncos84; 05-06-2007, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Todd Sauerbrun
                              Ebenezer Ekuban

Those two seem like bargains to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X