Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting our $s worth

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I've just gotta say, and I'll say this about every sport that the people get paided millions of dollars to play, that all of these guys get paid too much.
    Do they remember when had to pay to play football? But anyway, since they are getting paid so much, they better do a damn good job.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by I_Only_Like_Jay
      I've just gotta say, and I'll say this about every sport that the people get paided millions of dollars to play, that all of these guys get paid too much.
      Do they remember when had to pay to play football? But anyway, since they are getting paid so much, they better do a damn good job.
      I wouldn't say they get paid too much. If you just look at it as they get paid millions of dollars to play a game, it can seem that way. But the player salaries are a fraction of the money that they generate. They deserve a big piece of that pie, and that is why they make what they do. If the profits weren't as high as they are, salaries wouldn't be as high. If they weren't making that money, it would just be more lining the owners pockets. Its better that it goes to the guys getting hit and going through the rigors of playing this game. Not many people can do what they do, so they are paid accordingly.

      I understand that viewpoint though. Football is a game, and even though it has become a huge business it is the heart of the sport that matters. Its what made up play as kids, not the idea of a future contract. Many of us who are not fortunate enough to have the size, speed, and skill set necessary to play at the professional level would play for free if given the chance

      Comment


      • #18
        The only player i really worry about being overrated is Dre Bly,i hope he proves me wrong.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by GoBroncos84
          I wouldn't say they get paid too much. If you just look at it as they get paid millions of dollars to play a game, it can seem that way. But the player salaries are a fraction of the money that they generate. They deserve a big piece of that pie, and that is why they make what they do. If the profits weren't as high as they are, salaries wouldn't be as high. If they weren't making that money, it would just be more lining the owners pockets. Its better that it goes to the guys getting hit and going through the rigors of playing this game. Not many people can do what they do, so they are paid accordingly.

          I understand that viewpoint though. Football is a game, and even though it has become a huge business it is the heart of the sport that matters. Its what made up play as kids, not the idea of a future contract. Many of us who are not fortunate enough to have the size, speed, and skill set necessary to play at the professional level would play for free if given the chance
          But you have athletes who are good enough and strong enough and skill enough, that have to pay out of their pockets to do a sport that they love. These guys are mostly Olympic athletes. And even with their endorsements, they still don't make the money these guys do.
          I look at Jeremy Bloom, as an Olympic athlete he had to give up football in college. He choose skiing so that he might get the chance of a Gold Medal. But in the end he choose football, which he loves too but he probably did it cause he can get more money.
          Now I'm done.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by GoBroncos84
            I wouldn't say they get paid too much. If you just look at it as they get paid millions of dollars to play a game, it can seem that way. But the player salaries are a fraction of the money that they generate. They deserve a big piece of that pie, and that is why they make what they do. If the profits weren't as high as they are, salaries wouldn't be as high. If they weren't making that money, it would just be more lining the owners pockets. Its better that it goes to the guys getting hit and going through the rigors of playing this game. Not many people can do what they do, so they are paid accordingly.

            I understand that viewpoint though. Football is a game, and even though it has become a huge business it is the heart of the sport that matters. Its what made up play as kids, not the idea of a future contract. Many of us who are not fortunate enough to have the size, speed, and skill set necessary to play at the professional level would play for free if given the chance
            you know... that's the same logic that CEOs use when they try to justify hundreds of millions in bonuses paid to themselves. it's dumb and completely inaccurate. CEOs and nfl players are just a part of what generate all that money. let's see how much money those nfl players would get if the front office and headcoaches just quit and decided to do something else. would the players be able to organize a new league on their own, build their own stadiums, and set ticket prices tv contracts and everything? would they be generating as much revenue if they tried to do it themselves? of course not. they aren't the only ones generating the money. i think most pro athletes DO get overpaid so i don't understand why players hold out on their contracts because theyt hink they should be getting paid more...

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by DrunkPanda
              you know... that's the same logic that CEOs use when they try to justify hundreds of millions in bonuses paid to themselves. it's dumb and completely inaccurate. CEOs and nfl players are just a part of what generate all that money. let's see how much money those nfl players would get if the front office and headcoaches just quit and decided to do something else. would the players be able to organize a new league on their own, build their own stadiums, and set ticket prices tv contracts and everything? would they be generating as much revenue if they tried to do it themselves? of course not. they aren't the only ones generating the money. i think most pro athletes DO get overpaid so i don't understand why players hold out on their contracts because theyt hink they should be getting paid more...
              There are many parts to the NFL machine, no question. The front offices and league execs have a lot to do with the money generated. But without the players, there is no product. They are the ones with a short career span, they need to make their money while they can.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by DrunkPanda
                you know... that's the same logic that CEOs use when they try to justify hundreds of millions in bonuses paid to themselves. it's dumb and completely inaccurate. CEOs and nfl players are just a part of what generate all that money. let's see how much money those nfl players would get if the front office and headcoaches just quit and decided to do something else. would the players be able to organize a new league on their own, build their own stadiums, and set ticket prices tv contracts and everything? would they be generating as much revenue if they tried to do it themselves? of course not. they aren't the only ones generating the money. i think most pro athletes DO get overpaid so i don't understand why players hold out on their contracts because theyt hink they should be getting paid more...
                First off, if the owners thought they could put just anyone out there with all those other people in place... don't you think they would? You think they WANT to write checks for $100+ million a season? Of course not!

                People aren't paying to see the head coaches, front office or the dude that negotiated the stadium deal. They are paying... and paying large amounts of money... to see the players play. Why you think its "dumb and completely inaccurate" that the players receive a large % of that money that people are dishing out based on their performances makes no sense to me.

                Would you be happier if billionaire owners made more money and the players made less? Cause there is NO REASON to spread that money around the franchise because, frankly, its EASY to find guys that do what the Franchise needs done off the field. Very easy! You know how hard it is to get a low paying job for an NFL team? VERY.

                In general in life people are paid based on their worth and the ability to replace them. NFL players generate billions of dollars and are very, very hard to replace with comparable talent.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by broncsx3
                  First off, if the owners thought they could put just anyone out there with all those other people in place... don't you think they would? You think they WANT to write checks for $100+ million a season? Of course not!

                  People aren't paying to see the head coaches, front office or the dude that negotiated the stadium deal. They are paying... and paying large amounts of money... to see the players play. Why you think its "dumb and completely inaccurate" that the players receive a large % of that money that people are dishing out based on their performances makes no sense to me.

                  Would you be happier if billionaire owners made more money and the players made less? Cause there is NO REASON to spread that money around the franchise because, frankly, its EASY to find guys that do what the Franchise needs done off the field. Very easy! You know how hard it is to get a low paying job for an NFL team? VERY.

                  In general in life people are paid based on their worth and the ability to replace them. NFL players generate billions of dollars and are very, very hard to replace with comparable talent.

                  I think the comparison comes down to this debate: if Janitors are necessary to a civilized society, why do they make jack while Doctors make bank?

                  Several reasons. First: anyone can be a Janitor. It is a position that anyone (or, at the very least, about 95% of the population) can fill. Doctors, on the other hand, require the mental capacity and will power to go through the schooling, and (in the case of surgeons) the dexterity to perform as well.

                  Second: what happens when a Janitor screws up on the job? Odds are that it just leaves a dirty spot. Other options *could* happen, but will almost certainly not. When a Doctors screws up? There is a very real chance of permanent damage or death.

                  I want the best and brightest in the position of greatest importance, so enticing those people with higher salaries doesn't bother me. They make more than me, but they're doing something I cannot. Same goes with NFL players vs. other club positions. There are a lot of people out there that *could* perform the duties of different club positions, but fewer that can actually PLAY the game at the level, and fewer still who can truly excel. If they can make that money, then they should go for it.

                  Now, we can argue whether a player is actually living up to his contract, just as we can debate whether certain CEOs deserve their income (some do, some don't.) But I don't agree with blanket generalizations saying that, since they play a game, they don't deserve their money. The NFL (and all professional sports) are entertainment. We don't have to watch, and if nobody watched, these players wouldn't be making quite so much. As always, in a capitalist society, the dollar speaks. Don Imus did not get canned until the SPONSERS pulled out.

                  If someone feels that NFL player salaries are unjust, then that person should not be going to games, purchasing NFL merchandise, giving NFL games a ratings boost, etc.
                  "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

                  "All models are wrong, but some are useful."

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Yep!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by broncsx3
                      Relative to their contracts, who do you think are the best deals for the Broncos. I.E., what Broncos players are we getting a good deal on? Conversely, what players are under-performing for what we are paying them.

                      Considering everyone on the NFL has an even playing field (salary cap wise) the trick is to get the most value for your $100 million.
                      I like this thread - great idea. I'll give this a hack but look backwards to last year since we don't know how the new draftees or FA will perform. I would have to say all the FA deals look bad dollar wise but that goes away fast with a 12 win season - nevermind some playoff wins / SB!

                      IMO:

                      Best Deals:

                      1. Erik Pears. Big kid - I thought he did a good job of jumping into a starting role last year - he had experience working with both a pocket passer and a rollout artist and I thought he did fairly well in run blocking. Total steal.

                      2. Elvis Dummerville - We got a steal in the 4th round. He demonstrated the potential to change a game (I think he had a couple of games where he had 2-3+ sacks). He'll remain a great 3rd down end.

                      Worst Deals

                      1. Jake Plummer - this deal was big and represented the true gamlber in Shanahan. It basically hitched our wagon to Jake for the past 4 years or so and while he made us competitive, I don't think he came close to earning his contract. But that's most likely arguable given the most recent contracts being signed.

                      2. Courtney Brown - how did he end up doing last year? Even if his total contact was pushed through insurance, I don't think his guaranteed money up front is.

                      We will see

                      1. Daniel Graham: Huge dollars to a TE on a team with 2 decent TE already. It's important to note that a good blocking TE is almost worth OLine money if he ends up playing that much a role in the running game. I'm sure that went into the logic of this contacts.

                      2. Dre Bly: He didn't want to come, then he did, then he didn't really, then he heard that we'd give him a bunch of money so he immediately did again. I hope he earns it because if he gets consistently burned, this signing moves immediately up to #1 on the worst deal list for next year.

                      3. Travis Henry: I think he's at least a 1200 yd runner in our offense. If he smokes a little doobage, however, we're going to have to try to get our signing bonus money back and look to Mike Bell to carry the load - not the ideal scenario - we will not win a SB with him starting despite him being a great story.
                      Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I disagree we had two great TEs.

                        We had one good receiver and one OK blocker; Graham is good at both, and everyone knows it. He's a key pickup this year from whom I expect big things. Henry's all about versatility to me, which makes me happy because that's what I wanted. Someone who can pickup blitzers and grind out short yardage, while staying healthy. I dunno if the FO read any of my comments on backs last year, but they might as well have; when our blocking is there (as I expect it to be) anyone can get 1000 yards, but it's those other little things that add up to a great starting back because he can be a true every down back. No coming off the field on 3rd and short or 3rd and long; that just tells the D what you're going to do, and if they know your play call the battle's half lost. I miss my Bronco Hydra from the 90s, but I think we're close to there again; we've got the skill positions, we just have to have the line hold.
                        SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          If Bates just shows up at half time and makes a change countering the other teams offense he will be the steal of the year.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            how much are we paying walker?

                            made by showoff

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy
                              The only player i really worry about being overrated is Dre Bly,i hope he proves me wrong.
                              He will definatly get tested early in the season by QBs because Champ in on the other side. I think they will feed of each other and if Bly does struggle a bit then who better to learn from then Champ. We'll wait and see.
                              R.I.P
                              #27 Darrent Williams
                              #29 Damian Nash



                              Thanks MasterShake for the sig

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X