Top 5 Offseason Winner....Denver #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Offseason Winner....Denver #3

Found this article today thought it might be interesting to some, for the full article you can go to the provided address I just copied the Broncos section of it.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10172491

Denver Broncos:

So you're not all that thrilled with Travis Henry. OK, I understand. But look what's going on here: All he did was run for 1,200 yards with Tennessee, and he did it despite missing two games. Now he joins a team that cranks out 1,000-yard backs like McDonald's spits out cheeseburgers.

Travis Henry should be the Broncos' latest 1,000-yard back. (Getty Images)
    Quick, tell me the last time someone in a Broncos uniform didn't rush for 1,000 yards. I'll spare you the trouble. It was 2001, and it was only because Terrell Davis played on one leg. It marked the only time in coach Mike Shanahan's 11 years with Denver that he hasn't had a 1,000-yard back.

Which means I don't worry about Travis Henry. He fills a hole at the position.

The acquisition of cornerback Dre' Bly was another wise decision. The guy's a playmaker and the perfect complement to All-Pro Champ Bailey. Opponents who try to avoid Bailey now must deal with Bly, and that could be trouble –- especially with the Broncos adding rookies Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder to their pass rush.

I love the addition of Moss, mostly because I love speed off the edge and partly because I watched last year's Florida-South Carolina game.

OK, so something has to be done at wide receiver. But maybe something has. Tight end Daniel Graham has outstanding hands and can make the tough catch in traffic. Plus, he once produced seven TDs for New England, meaning he could serve as Denver's version of Tony Gonzalez.

Newcomer Brandon Stokley reminds some people of Ed McCaffrey, but I'd like to see him stay off the injury report before making that comparison. The guy was a solid slot receiver for Indianapolis when he was healthy. But that's the problem -- he often wasn't.

I don't know what happens to Stokley, but I do know what happens to the punting: It gets better. A year ago Paul Ernster was buried near the bottom of the AFC with a 41.6-yard average and a 36.6-yard net -- and that's with eight games in thin air. So the Broncos added Todd Sauerbrun, who averaged 43.8 yards a kick and 38 yards net in his 2005 stay with Denver.

Forget the math. The guy's an improvement, which means Denver just gained field position.

Of all the moves the Broncos made, the one I like most is the addition of defensive coordinator Jim Bates. His units are aggressive and solid, neither of which Denver was down the stretch last season. Denver scored 47 points in two games against San Diego, yet it lost both. That's why the Broncos hired Bates. It's why they hired Bly, Moss and Crowder, too.

Nothing that hasn't been said before.
    Originally posted by Soldier96B
    i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

I read this article, and Im not sure they are in any particular order. Regardless, we know that this off-season has been one of the busiest Denver fans have ever seen. I dont think any team has tried harder to improve their team this off-season than Shanny, Sunquidst, and Bowlen. Im satisfied

My 2007 Adopt a Broncos are Brandon Marshall and Erica Weston

Comment

Thanks for the read . . .

Hmmm . . . while the guy's mention of Moss and Crowder has merit, he seemed to
        space out the acquisition of Thomas, who may be even better than the other two.
        Hopefully, Denver isn't through yet. I have come to the point where I would welcome
        the signing of Keyshawn Johnson, which I believe would lift the Broncos to at least
        the level of NE, regarding the offseason moves. Actually, Judge's "forgotten man,"
        Thomas, might have done that, anyway.

-----

Comment

I like that he mentions the pickup of Bates.

That may be the best pickup of the offseason.

Now all the defense can perform at top level.
          Emancipate your mind!
          The People's Poster

Comment

It's nice to see a positive article on the Broncos. My only beef with this article is the writer's assessment of our WR corps. No mention of Marshall, who I believe will have a breakout year opposite Walker.

Our best move in the offseason was hiring Bates, IMO

Comment

Being a gator fan and watching Marcus Thomas the last couple of years the Broncos could have just made the interior defensive line this side of Jacksonville. I will be shocked if he isn't the starter by week 1. Now if Jarvis Moss can about 20 pounds a tackle better he could be Kevin Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoCanuck
                Found this article today thought it might be interesting to some, for the full article you can go to the provided address I just copied the Broncos section of it.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10172491

Denver Broncos:

So you're not all that thrilled with Travis Henry. OK, I understand. But look what's going on here: All he did was run for 1,200 yards with Tennessee, and he did it despite missing two games. Now he joins a team that cranks out 1,000-yard backs like McDonald's spits out cheeseburgers.

Travis Henry should be the Broncos' latest 1,000-yard back. (Getty Images)
                Quick, tell me the last time someone in a Broncos uniform didn't rush for 1,000 yards. I'll spare you the trouble. It was 2001, and it was only because Terrell Davis played on one leg. It marked the only time in coach Mike Shanahan's 11 years with Denver that he hasn't had a 1,000-yard back.

Which means I don't worry about Travis Henry. He fills a hole at the position.

The acquisition of cornerback Dre' Bly was another wise decision. The guy's a playmaker and the perfect complement to All-Pro Champ Bailey. Opponents who try to avoid Bailey now must deal with Bly, and that could be trouble –- especially with the Broncos adding rookies Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder to their pass rush.

I love the addition of Moss, mostly because I love speed off the edge and partly because I watched last year's Florida-South Carolina game.

OK, so something has to be done at wide receiver. But maybe something has. Tight end Daniel Graham has outstanding hands and can make the tough catch in traffic. Plus, he once produced seven TDs for New England, meaning he could serve as Denver's version of Tony Gonzalez.

Newcomer Brandon Stokley reminds some people of Ed McCaffrey, but I'd like to see him stay off the injury report before making that comparison. The guy was a solid slot receiver for Indianapolis when he was healthy. But that's the problem -- he often wasn't.

I don't know what happens to Stokley, but I do know what happens to the punting: It gets better. A year ago Paul Ernster was buried near the bottom of the AFC with a 41.6-yard average and a 36.6-yard net -- and that's with eight games in thin air. So the Broncos added Todd Sauerbrun, who averaged 43.8 yards a kick and 38 yards net in his 2005 stay with Denver.

Forget the math. The guy's an improvement, which means Denver just gained field position.

Of all the moves the Broncos made, the one I like most is the addition of defensive coordinator Jim Bates. His units are aggressive and solid, neither of which Denver was down the stretch last season. Denver scored 47 points in two games against San Diego, yet it lost both. That's why the Broncos hired Bates. It's why they hired Bly, Moss and Crowder, too.

Good Post! Thanks for posting it

----------------------------------------------
                I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

It seems that we are getting a lot of love from the National Media. I like reading all of it but the media gets these kind of things wrong. Of course I hope thats not the case now. IMO, it's all about Cutler. Nobody knows how good he'll be this year. Furthermore, he will struggle at some point. I wonder if the team is good enough to win when he does struggle. With that in mind I think we'll get into the playoffs. Luckily the team is young and will have time to develop into a powerhouse. Another concern is how long will Bates be here? Hopefully he'll stick around a few seasons but if the defense performs well, Bates may get head coaching offers.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanInPA
                    It's nice to see a positive article on the Broncos. My only beef with this article is the writer's assessment of our WR corps. No mention of Marshall, who I believe will have a breakout year opposite Walker.

Our best move in the offseason was hiring Bates, IMO
                    There's no reason to be upset when the experts don't mention Marshall. Marshall hasn't proven anything yet. He flashed some potential, but he didn't do enough to establish himself as a solid contributor. It's that fact that leads to me wanting Shanahan to go after Keyshawn.

I like the hiring of Bates but I like the signing of Henry just a little bit more.
                    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Stokely and McCaffrey don't have that much in common...
                      sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Good Find

Comment

Originally posted by muse
                          Stokely and McCaffrey don't have that much in common...

actually, they have NOTHING in common besides being white. . . .

their games are almost completely 100% different. . . .
                          Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                            actually, they have NOTHING in common besides being white. . . .

their games are almost completely 100% different. . . .

Haven't you heard? all black players relate to every other black player at their position, and same with white. It is especially true with black quarterbacks and white wideouts
                            Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                            Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                            Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by JoRo
                              Haven't you heard? all black players relate to every other black player at their position, and same with white. It is especially true with black quarterbacks and white wideouts

Yeah, like Vick and McNabb. Carbon copies of each other.
                              "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

Working...
                              X