Why is Steve Atwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Steve Atwater

not in the hall of fame? 8 Pro Bowls? Seems like he would be in on his 1st or 2nd year of eligibility??

Because he didnt play for Dallas, Chicago or New York

Comment

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll get in

Comment

I think that one of the reasons why, is that he had horrible hands.

I know that most of the time he was an enforcer that "laid the wood"........but if he had even average hands, he probably would have had another 15 interceptions.

Comment

For the same reason zimmerman, randy grashier, and a few others are on the outside looking in. He played in Denver.
          2014 adopt a Bronco #63 Ben Garland

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Lights
            Actually, its more the case with Pittsburgh. If you look at Lynn Swanns and Drew Pearson's bodies of work, youll see what I mean. Atwater, Sharpe, Smith, Gradishar and eventually Davis should all be in from Denver. I think all but Gradishar have a realistic chance. The two SBs really help because that seems to be a criteria.

Comment

Atwater will get in. A lot also depends on who else is on the ballot. Some other people on the ballot with Atwater might have been a little more deserving. His time will come.
              Originally posted by Soldier96B
              i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

I dont believe in the HOF. They have snubbed several Broncos. Many that if they played in NY or a big market will be in. I mean John Elway is the only bronco in. The Broncos have been in several superbowls, had several great offensive lines, had the orange crush defense. Not one player deserving of the HOF? What ever......

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
                  I mean John Elway is the only bronco in.
                  That makes me sad.
                  Originally posted by Soldier96B
                  i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

You could use the argument about the big city bias.... but I think that changed with the SB's. We Just have to give it time for some of these guys. While I love Awater, he is definantly not a first ballot HOFer, but should get in. Sharpe, Davis, and Zimmerman are the only ones that I think deserve to get in that are retired right now, Shannon is the only first ballot guy. However..... Rod, Nalen, and Elam should get in also. Just got to remember that there is a 5 year wait, so these guys are not as overdue as some think
                    We need nasty

Comment

Originally posted by SBAlki
                      You could use the argument about the big city bias.... but I think that changed with the SB's. We Just have to give it time for some of these guys. While I love Awater, he is definantly not a first ballot HOFer, but should get in. Sharpe, Davis, and Zimmerman are the only ones that I think deserve to get in that are retired right now, Shannon is the only first ballot guy. However..... Rod, Nalen, and Elam should get in also. Just got to remember that there is a 5 year wait, so these guys are not as overdue as some think
                      What about Randy Gradishar? Louis Wright? Jackson? Shannon will get in but nobody else. Not because Atwater,Rod, Nalen, and Elam dont deserve but that's just how the Hall of Fame goes for Bronco Players.

Comment

I talked to John McClain (writer for the Houston chronicle and a HoF voter) about this issue last year.

He said Denver is very underrepresented and one of the reasons is that John Elway was so good, he made everyone else's contributions seem meager in comparison.

He said he supports Gradishar for the hall, though, so he's a good guy in my book.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
                          What about Randy Gradishar? Louis Wright? Jackson? Shannon will get in but nobody else. Not because Atwater,Rod, Nalen, and Elam dont deserve but that's just how the Hall of Fame goes for Bronco Players.
                          I wasn't considering Gradishar, Wright and Jackson when I said that. I was referring to the SB players... I should of made that more clear sorry. However, I do not believe any of those 3 will get in. I don't think TJ deserves it, but his ESPN commentary status might get him in at some point. The other 2 do fall into the era where nobody cared about small market teams.

I really believe that Rod, Nalen and Elam will get in based on the SB's, longevity and they have gotten pretty good coverage throughout their careers
                          We need nasty

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Lights
                            Good reply!
                            Im still pissed off about Randy Gradishar and Karl Mecklenburg not being in!!!!
                            ~RSth Lncus [email protected] mO Po*

Its what a man knows about himself inside that makes him afraid!

UNC Tarheels!!!!

Comment

The Best

Atwater not being in the HOF is a joke. I’m completely bias because he still is my favorite Bronco player of all time, but look at his contributions. Aside from the Pro-Bowls and the Super Bowl rings, the guy was arguably the best safety in the NFL for a decade. I know Peter King, of SI.com, always tells people it’s the “Hall of Fame”, not the “Hall of Very Good”, but I have no doubt in my mind that Atwater was a great player.

No disrespect to John Lynch, who will probably be a first round HOF entry, but Steve Atwater was better. Atwater was the proto-typical “in the box” safety. He didn’t have the greatest ball skills or hands, but those weaknesses never seemed to matter. To this day, I still have not seen another defensive player with the “presence” of a Steve Atwater (maybe Ray Lewis during the 2000 season). It’s become cliché for announcers to say, “You’ve got to know where this guy is lined up every play.”, but most of the time that is just lip service. With Steve, it wasn’t. There wasn’t a WR alive who played opposite of Steve that didn’t know where he was every snap.

Yeah, there are players today that can lay the wood, Sean Taylor and Roy Williams, for example, but Steve just did it better. It’s not something you can really explain. The best way I try to explain Steve Atwater is to have you watch the Super Bowl game against Green Bay. Watch was he does on the final Green Bay drive. That was Steve Atwater. That was how he played, regardless of the score or situation.

Long live the “Smiling Assassin”

Comment

Working...
                              X