Third down may get more interesting for Denver opponents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third down may get more interesting for Denver opponents

Anybody perusing the Denver Broncos ' first two picks in the 2007 draft would have had the same thought: "Boy, their defensive line must be awful."

Well, that might be a bit harsh. They're not awful, just old.

Kenard Lang, who had six of the Broncos' 31 sacks last year, is 33 years old. Fellow defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban is 30, and 10-year NFL veteran John Engleberger is no colt.

So the fact that Denver picked two defensive ends -- Florida's Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder of Texas -- in the opening rounds last month doesn't necessarily mean the incumbents are ready for the trash pile. What it does mean, however, is that the meager 2006 sack total is almost certain to go up.

Crowder had 10½ sacks as a Longhorn last season, Moss 7½. The latter also stepped up in prime time, taking down Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith twice for 20 yards in losses during the Gators' upset victory in the BCS bowl.

Along with Elvis Dumervil, who led Denver with 8½ sacks as a rookie (out of only 19 tackles), the addition of Crowder and Moss will give the Broncos three strong third-down rushers.

Actually, the Broncos didn't do badly stopping opponents on third down last season (only 37.6 percent of the attempts succeeded), but that was mostly because of a solid secondary. The other guys threw for 3,410 yards and completed 60.8 percent, evidence that opposing quarterbacks were getting a bit too comfortable in the pocket.

Ekuban had seven sacks, but former 49ers star Engleberger, while still contributing 55 tackles, had only one. The interior D-linemen were even less successful pressuring the passer.

Of the two newcomers, Crowder may have a better chance of playing every down as a rookie. He's bigger than Moss (275-250), more durable (43 straight starts at Texas) and even a tick faster over 40 yards. He's quite capable of playing the run or the pass.

Moss, meanwhile, has been compared to former Gator Jevon Kearse.

"He may be the fastest player we have over 10 yards," said Florida coach Urban Meyer, "and we've got a fast team."

Got a bone to pick with a newspaper columnist, talk show personality or television analyst? E-mail us at [email protected]. For more information, visit or Media Watch info page.
    sigpic

Why do so many people overlook Marcus Thomas?

Had he stayed out of trouble and gone in the top 15 where he belonged, he would
    have been the talk of the town . . . whatever town that would have been. Just
    because he fell over his off-field problems, did that make him less of a player?

I'm here to tell you that Thomas may be the best player of the Broncos draft this year.
    And I believe he may make the most difference in the pass rush because one of the
    most pressing problems they had was the failure to collapse the pocket.

-----

Comment

I didn't see much of Thomas but what highlights I saw were impressive. I can't speak for his ability obviously but his over stats were solid.

We are obviously getting the new generation defense going.

And THAT is a wonderful thing.

EDIT: And with a Jay Cutler rookie for the most part QB under his wings, this could get very exciting in the next few years.

The hopes....

The dreams.....

The reality?
      Last edited by BroncoManiac_69; 05-10-2007, 11:09 PM.
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Our DT sack Totals will Triple this season,you cant double team both of them
        Last edited by BroncoSexyDaddy; 05-10-2007, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy
          Our DT sack Totals will Triple this season,you cant double team both of them

Lets just hope that both command double teams, Myers (on film) would do nothing but stand striaght up and play patty-cake with opposing O-linemen, I am pretty sure Thomas can exceed that immediately but if its McKinley we might have a Myers part 2 thing going on here. Warren didn't look like any wrecking ball either (wether injury or whatever) he can achor but his pass rush is something that will greatly need to improve.

DE's: Hopefully we can get all three youngsters going and create pressure, if Crowder plays like he did at Texas (granted against college players) here in the league then could you imagine Dumervil (LDE), Crowder (3-DT), Thomas (NT), and Moss (RDE)? thats a lot of quickness.

Im excited and I can't wait to see the start of the season... can't wait

Comment

I'd love Moss to be another Kearse.

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

Moss, meanwhile, has been compared to former Gator Jevon Kearse

i love that comment!!!!
              GO ANGELS!!!!!!! signed torii hunter!!!

[

denver will go 7-9 this year and 12-4 next year and a 14-2 the following year and superbowl appearance by 2010

Comment

Originally posted by TU_HurricaneDB
                Lets just hope that both command double teams, Myers (on film) would do nothing but stand striaght up and play patty-cake with opposing O-linemen, I am pretty sure Thomas can exceed that immediately but if its McKinley we might have a Myers part 2 thing going on here. Warren didn't look like any wrecking ball either (wether injury or whatever) he can achor but his pass rush is something that will greatly need to improve.

DE's: Hopefully we can get all three youngsters going and create pressure, if Crowder plays like he did at Texas (granted against college players) here in the league then could you imagine Dumervil (LDE), Crowder (3-DT), Thomas (NT), and Moss (RDE)? thats a lot of quickness.

Great Post :thumb:

That would be a good DL,Im excited with our new Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe

because he fell over his off-field problems, did that make him less of a player?

I'm here to tell you that Thomas may be the best player of the Broncos draft this year.
                  And I believe he may make the most difference in the pass rush because one of the

-----

Only reason I can think of as to why Thomas is overlooked is that with these writers who spend time critiquing so many teams they primarily focus on Day 1 draft action. With some teams having like 54 sixth rounders, that would be tiring to cover.

I was most extatic last year with our fourth round pick (pre & post draft as well as mid-season), so here's to another year of extasy from our fourth rounder!!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
                    I didn't see much of Thomas but what highlights I saw were impressive. I can't speak for his ability obviously but his over stats were solid.
                    We are obviously getting the new generation defense going.

And THAT is a wonderful thing.

EDIT: And with a Jay Cutler rookie for the most part QB under his wings, this could get very exciting in the next few years.

The hopes....

The dreams.....

The reality?
                    As a Gator fan, I can speak for his ability. The guy was at his best in the big games. He was so disruptive that he completely overshadowed Moss, Harvey and McDonald at times. And if you saw the NC game, you know thats saying something. He may have been the best Dlineman on one of the best college defensive lines in years.

Comment

Defense looks great, but there will be an adjustment period. Rookie defensive linemen, DJ at Mike, new LB at Sam, Bly, implementing Bates' scheme...definitely going to take a few weeks to gel. Hopefully the offense can get off to quick start: it's about time the O bailed the D out for a change!

But man, once everything gets rolling...I'm not saying Baltimore or Chicago level, but it should be a consistent, playoff-caliber defense.

Is it July yet?
                      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

-----
                        Right on...

Comment

-----

well top i dont...i have said over and over all spring we need a pocket collapsing DT to help warren....we got one, one of the top two in the draft i believe

i am all to tired of watching the DE get to the QB only to have him simply step up because the dt have been pushed back
                          sigpic
                          when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by TU_HurricaneDB

I'm hella excited too. Haha..... no more patty cake, I like that.

Football season needs to start NOW!
                            The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

-----

I personally think that Thomas will have the most impact on our team this season. What a steal in the fourth round! I look forward to this season and what it brings. Contrary to what most people think, we actually had an amazing draft.

Is it pre-season yet? When will it get here?....not soon enough!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X