Third down may get more interesting for Denver opponents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cugel
    I think that's a bit harsh. Frankly, Warren was mediocre last year. He wasn't great, but then nobody else was either. If you were going to double-team somebody on the Broncos DL, not because you had to, but because you had an extra-blocker, who would it be?

Ekuban? Lang? Myers? No! It would be Warren. No, he's not a great pass-rusher, but not one of those others is any better.

If you are on a sucky DL it tends to drag you down. Look at what happened to Trevor Pryce after he got to the Ravens! He could have been doing that in Denver for the last 6 years, but not with Coyer and the DL the Broncos had. Everybody doubled Trevor because nobody else warranted it.

Same with Warren. We'll see if he can stay healthy and contribute this year. But, he's not terrible. Not great, put him in a decent rotation and give him a good coach like Bates and he can be productive.

I think eventually Thomas is going to require double-teams, if he's anywhere near as disruptive as he was in college. That will give Warren a chance.

If Moss and Thomas both pan out that will make the Broncos DL very tough. I'm looking forward to that!
    Once one of the DL makes some splash it will be easier fo all of them. ONe guy gets double teamed then someone else is open. With any skill at all after that, it should be duck season early.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dream
      It's really not a point, just an observation. They took away bonus money that was supposed to be based on good performance, and just bumped dead end money to the front of his contract. It isn't a new amount of money. It's good for the Broncos because A) it's incentive and B) less hurt when they (if they do, which I assume they will) cut him loose

Warren either plays this year or he's gone in Denver. Bank on it.
      Well, it looks no different than what other players have done.

TD did it numerous times, to help out with adding free agents.
      Elway did it.
      Rod did it.
      Eddy did it.
      Nalen's done it.
      Wilson did it.
      Champ did it.

He WANTED to stay in Denver. He could easily have gone on the market and made even more money, so saying he took a paycut because of his injuried year isn't, imo, being forthright. Unless, of course, I see it in Shanny's or Sunny's writings....then I'll believe it.

To me, it just speaks volumes for Warren. He realized his year, after his preseason challenge, wasn't up to snuff, and wanted to prove to everybody that he IS a better player than that.

Take Warren out of the mix, last year, and Denver loses half of their wins, imo.
      "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
      tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
      men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dream
        Warren didn't even play well in 2005 when he got his contract extension. The Broncos allowed him to creep into the market, and the price went up. It was ridiculous. Almost every fan in the NFL laughed at the Broncos for signing perennial turd Gerard Warren to a fat 36 million dollar a year contract. Talk about desperation.
        $36million dollar a year contract?

Link, please.
        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by rcsodak

Link, please.
          I think he meant 3.6

Comment

• Originally posted by CinnaMunMun
            I think he meant 3.6
            Originally posted by dream
            A 36 million dollar mistake.
            Both times?

Warren came on the cheap. He's not scheduled to make the big salary until next year. I listed his years out in an earlier post.

Every time I hear a poster whine about how much Warren is getting paid, my eyes start to bleed. He's making less than backups!

Veal made $1.775M last year....and will make $1.25M this year.

Which is the better player?
            Last edited by rcsodak; 05-13-2007, 10:43 PM.
            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by rcsodak

Link, please.

36 mil a year? Warren just might be "gone in Denver".......

Comment

• Originally posted by stnzed
                36 mil a year? Warren just might be "gone in Denver".......
                Cheap price for him.
                ~RSth Lncus [email protected] mO Po*

Its what a man knows about himself inside that makes him afraid!

UNC Tarheels!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by evendelae
                  Not by choice, it's because that's what the contract he signed in 2005 does.. mind you, it was signed when he WASN'T playing like horse crap. I know his toes getting hurt was his reason last year, but eventually nagging injuries aren't a good excuse anymore.

Warren is nowhere near worth the money we pay him.
                  Umm, you try breaking toes on both feet, then planting those feet to push off against men who are as big and strong as you.

Some injuries you play through, but even playing through them, they affect what you can reasonably accomplish. We lost Courtney last year and we had Warren not playing at full speed. It hurts.
                  You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Cugel
                    I think that's a bit harsh. Frankly, Warren was mediocre last year. He wasn't great, but then nobody else was either. If you were going to double-team somebody on the Broncos DL, not because you had to, but because you had an extra-blocker, who would it be?

Ekuban? Lang? Myers? No! It would be Warren. No, he's not a great pass-rusher, but not one of those others is any better.

If you are on a sucky DL it tends to drag you down. Look at what happened to Trevor Pryce after he got to the Ravens! He could have been doing that in Denver for the last 6 years, but not with Coyer and the DL the Broncos had. Everybody doubled Trevor because nobody else warranted it.

Same with Warren. We'll see if he can stay healthy and contribute this year. But, he's not terrible. Not great, put him in a decent rotation and give him a good coach like Bates and he can be productive.

I think eventually Thomas is going to require double-teams, if he's anywhere near as disruptive as he was in college. That will give Warren a chance.

If Moss and Thomas both pan out that will make the Broncos DL very tough. I'm looking forward to that!
                    Just a quick point of contention on Pryce. His final season here, Coyer's defensive plan was to have the D-Line holding the O-Line and blocking movement to let the LB's fly around and make plays. It was a blitz heavy scheme and we paid for it against Pittsburgh in the AFC championship game.

When Pryce was let loose, he's always been a beast getting after the QB. Our problem was the scheme, not the player. When he went to Baltimore, he didn't suddenly wake up and he wasn't taking plays off with Denver. He was doing what his Defensive Coordinator and the line coach told him to do.

Pryce was a prize, IMO, who was let go as a salary cap casualty. We felt we could get as good a rush out of other guys for less money than what we would have paid Pryce.
                    You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue719
                      Just a quick point of contention on Pryce. His final season here, Coyer's defensive plan was to have the D-Line holding the O-Line and blocking movement to let the LB's fly around and make plays. It was a blitz heavy scheme and we paid for it against Pittsburgh in the AFC championship game.

When Pryce was let loose, he's always been a beast getting after the QB. Our problem was the scheme, not the player. When he went to Baltimore, he didn't suddenly wake up and he wasn't taking plays off with Denver. He was doing what his Defensive Coordinator and the line coach told him to do.

Pryce was a prize, IMO, who was let go as a salary cap casualty. We felt we could get as good a rush out of other guys for less money than what we would have paid Pryce.

I have to say this seems to be the way I look at it now.
                      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

• We are gonna be a real problem!

I think we are gonna have like, Dummervil 10scks, Moss 8 1\2 and Crowder 10 1\2 sacks a piece. I have Crowder getting more because Moss will gettin double teams and extra attention.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue719

See post #27 page 2 of this thread.

I thought i was the only one who seen the forrest.

Our best defensive lineman, at the time, was also schemed to drop back in coverage as a DE.

I found 2 links where Trevor talked about how he was being miss used. I would have posted them, but this thread went in a diffrent direction.

Anywho....

Comment

Working...
                          X