Broncos or Patriots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos or Patriots?

Who had the better offseason in signing quality veterans?

IMO many people are under-estimating what the Broncos have accomplished this offseason. My point is the Pats acquisitions had played well on teams that played well, when most of our new players had played well on teams that had not performed at a high level, excluding Daniel Graham.

For example, Adalius Thomas was a monster on the Ravens defense, which is considered one of the top defense in the NFL, so he was surrounded by many high caliber players to help him be effective. Travis Henry on the other hand was put in a poor offensive unit in Tennessee with an average/below average offensive line, still managing to put up 1200+ yards while missing 2 games while at the same time not being put in a starting role the entire year.

I think many sports writers are giving the Patriots too much credit in saying they had the best signings in the offseason when the Broncos did just as well if not better. To me our signings also made a bigger impact in the improvement of our team. We had a critical need for a playmaking corner after the passing of D-Will, so we traded for a pro-bowler in Dre' Bly. After the trade we had a huge hole at the RB position, so we pick up T.Henry, a definate upgrade over our past starters. Our TE Stephen Alexander struggled to block against pass rushers such as Shawn Merriman so we go out to sign Daniel Graham, perhaps the best blocking TE in football. The Patriots on the other hand, signed D.Stallworth to fix their WR problems. Other than that A.Thomas, even though he was an improvement, might not make such an impact on an already very good LB corps, and Wes Welker as a return man most likely isn't going to change the team significantly. And last but not least, they trade for Randy Moss, the cancer of the NFL, who has a very good chance of being kicked off the team according to Belichick, and most likely will happen as soon as he starts complaining when Stallworth is getting more throws his way. That is all.

Sorry that is kind of long but I was just tired of hearing about the Patriots and had to get my emotions out. :wave:
    Last edited by mxbronco13; 05-12-2007, 02:17 PM.

It's really too close to call, the Patriots and Broncos were the best teams in free agency this off-season. Each improved weaknesses or holes in respect to their given teams, and I think it's a little hard to measure who did better than the other. Both teams on paper look great right now.

Comment

As much as I like what the Broncos did, I think the Pats had a better offseason.

Thomas was signed from the Ravens, not Bears.

Comment

i want to say broncos but they did lose al wilson

but it's hard to say NE till i see if belichik really can tame the randy moss monster.

it's probably a tie right now

apparently the pats are going to get seau back soon , which they feel will improve their run defense for 07...we'll see, i think he's pretty much mr glass these days but they'll see it as a huge off season move.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mxbronco13
          Who had the better offseason in signing quality veterans?

IMO many people are under-estimating what the Broncos have accomplished this offseason. My point is the Pats acquisitions had played well on teams that played well, when most of our new players had played well on teams that had not performed at a high level, excluding Daniel Graham.

For example, Adalius Thomas was a monster on the Bears defense, which is considered by most the top defense in the NFL, so he was surrounded by many high caliber players to help him be effective. Travis Henry on the other hand was put in a poor offensive unit in Tennessee with an average/below average offensive line, still managing to put up 1200+ yards while missing 2 games while at the same time not being put in a starting role the entire year.

I think many sports writers are giving the Patriots too much credit in saying they had the best signings in the offseason when the Broncos did just as well if not better. To me our signings also made a bigger impact in the improvement of our team. We had a critical need for a playmaking corner after the passing of D-Will, so we traded for a pro-bowler in Dre' Bly. After the trade we had a huge hole at the RB position, so we pick up T.Henry, a definate upgrade over our past starters. Our TE Stephen Alexander struggled to block against pass rushers such as Shawn Merriman so we go out to sign Daniel Graham, perhaps the best blocking TE in football. The Patriots on the other hand, signed D.Stallworth to fix their WR problems. Other than that A.Thomas, even though he was an improvement, might not make such an impact on an already very good LB corps, and Wes Welker as a return man most likely isn't going to change the team significantly. And last but not least, they trade for Randy Moss, the cancer of the NFL, who has a very good chance of being kicked off the team according to Belichick, and most likely will happen as soon as he starts complaining when Stallworth is getting more throws his way. That is all.

Sorry that is kind of long but I was just tired of hearing about the Patriots and had to get my emotions out. :wave:

You mean Ravens
          Bronco fan from Packer Land.
          Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
          Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

I feel if you pick up a good player, they are good, regaurless what team they came from. As far as who had the better offseason-no one did until the end of the next Superbowl. That's the team that had the best offsean imo.

Comment

Originally posted by JoRo
              You mean Ravens
              My bad I fixed it. Thank You

Comment

Patriots. But I still think the Broncos are the better team as of now.

"Peace is but a shadow of death, desperate to forget its painful past..."
                -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-

Comment

I have to say Broncos right now, because the Pats still have the Asante mess on their hands.

The 49ers are right up there too because they added a huge amount of depth, and two sure-fire starters through the draft.
                  But then again, they had the cap-space to do so.
                  sigpic

"Sauced."- Broshown Broenbro

Comment

The 49ers signed everybody, including players who won't help their team.

That doesn't make a good offseason. Smart pickups with smart contracts are a better indicator.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

We don't play the pats this year do we? If not thats sad. I like the free win every season.

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcow
                        We don't play the pats this year do we? If not thats sad. I like the free win every season.
                        No. We don't play the Ravens either. That's dissappointing. I like the 1st place schedule a lot better.

But I love beating the Pansies.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
                          The 49ers signed everybody, including players who won't help their team.

That doesn't make a good offseason. Smart pickups with smart contracts are a better indicator.
                          Heh, you're about to get owned. So let's see here, what big name free agents did we sign that won't help our team?

"Peace is but a shadow of death, desperate to forget its painful past..."
                          -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-

Comment

Originally posted by fullcollapse
                            I have to say Broncos right now, because the Pats still have the Asante mess on their hands.

The 49ers are right up there too because they added a huge amount of depth, and two sure-fire starters through the draft.
                            But then again, they had the cap-space to do so.
                            Not only the cap, but great draft position for the last 3 years.

Comment

For the most part I agree with Dream but I would give the advantage to the Broncos for this reason. The Patriots traded for Randy Moss and although he has been an elite player in the past he has played up to that status over the past couple of years. Also when he pouts like he is prone to do it becomes a major distraction for any team that he is on.
                              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                              X