Moss' take on Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moss' take on Thomas

I found this an interesting little read. In this little tidbit Moss says that Thomas was the best player on the Gators National Championship team.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...er/default.htm

May 7, 2007

The draft pick that drew the most controversy for the Broncos is also the one that has them most excited. DT Marcus Thomas, whom the team had graded as a first-round talent, slipped all the way to the fourth, mainly because of character concerns after he was booted from the University of Florida football team for positive marijuana tests and breaking an agreement he had with the coaching staff concerning curfew and attending drug education classes. At that point, Denver saw an opportunity it couldn’t pass up and traded sixth- and seventh-round picks and a third-rounder in 2008 to move up and get him. After a face-to-face meeting with Thomas a couple of weeks prior to the draft, head coach Mike Shanahan was convinced Thomas was beyond his bout of immaturity and worthy of a second chance. Thomas, who recognizes he’s “already on 2.9 strikes” in terms of his football career, has taken weekly drug tests since his dismissal from the Gators and made the results available to teams before the draft. Broncos coaches are enticed by his potential, believing they can improve his marginal work habits and make him a more consistent and disruptive force. We’re told to expect him to push for a starting job in training camp. “Marcus, hands down, was the best player on our national championship team,” said Denver’s first-round pick, DE Jarvis Moss, a teammate of Thomas’ at Florida.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

That Florida D-line is obviously loaded. Rivals.com says UF had the best '07 recruiting class, so there's plenty more of where that came from. Look for Derrick Harvey to be a first round pick next year if he comes out.

Comment

This will be "SICK" if SHANNYS "lets draft a national champ. d" actually works!!!!! Im excited!

Comment

pretty sure this has been posted many times before but was nice to hear moss thinks so highly about his talent
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney
          This will be "SICK" if SHANNYS "lets draft a national champ. d" actually works!!!!! Im excited!
          Shanahan has very close ties with the University of Florida. Before he made the jump to the NFL he was assistant coach with the Gators back in the early '80s.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

This is always frightening to me. I never like to see multiple "dominant" players drafted from the same line (o or d). See Sim, Ryan vs. Peppers, Julius. Very happy w/ the Thomas pick, we'll see on Moss.

Comment

I honestly do see Marcus making the biggest impact for us out of all the rookies

Comment

Originally posted by BSmitty7
                I honestly do see Marcus making the biggest impact for us out of all the rookies
                agree completely

RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Comment

Marcus has the best chance of getting the most playing time because he is in a position where we have little depth.

Moss and Crowder will fight for time with the Browncos, while Harris will likely sit on the bench behind Lepsis and Pears.

I am excited about the upswing Marcus has. He should be a great addition to the D-Line. His penetrating style will help suppliment Warren's power. It will also relieve some pressure on warren... I am also confident Thomas' mishaps are far behind him.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hardcorebronco
                    Marcus has the best chance of getting the most playing time because he is in a position where we have little depth.

Moss and Crowder will fight for time with the Browncos, while Harris will likely sit on the bench behind Lepsis and Pears.

I am excited about the upswing Marcus has. He should be a great addition to the D-Line. His penetrating style will help suppliment Warren's power. It will also relieve some pressure on warren... I am also confident Thomas' mishaps are far behind him.
                    I've been think that Thomas has the best chance of starting this year.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                      I've been think that Thomas has the best chance of starting this year.
                      It would seem that way to me, too. Not that Thomas is necessarily better than Moss
                      (although I think he is), but there is no one at that tackle spot who is much any good,
                      except possibly Mckinley, who looks like a journeyman, anyway. We do have some
                      capable . . . if not spectacular . . . players at DE (except possibly Dumervil as a pass
                      rusher). So it would appear that Moss would have more time to learn on first and
                      second downs and appear as a rusher, whereas Thomas might be needed from the
                      start?

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                        It would seem that way to me, too. Not that Thomas is necessarily better than Moss
                        (although I think he is), but there is no one at that tackle spot who is much any good,
                        except possibly Mckinley, who looks like a journeyman, anyway. We do have some
                        capable . . . if not spectacular . . . players at DE (except possibly Dumervil as a pass
                        rusher). So it would appear that Moss would have more time to learn on first and
                        second downs and appear as a rusher, whereas Thomas might be needed from the
                        start?

-----
                        Don't forget about Crowder. Honestly I think we have three guys that could potentially develop in solid and MAYBE even stellar defensive linemen.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                          Don't forget about Crowder. Honestly I think we have three guys that could potentially develop in solid and MAYBE even stellar defensive linemen.
                          That's true. Crowder is definitely quality and probably has more talent than any DE
                          we have, except for the incoming Moss, of course . . . but Moss is a different kind of
                          DE. Crowder seems a natural for the left side. Only thing is, we have an okay DE
                          there Ekuban, it would seem, so Crowder may play depth for a while as he learns the
                          position on the pro level. Same for Moss with the right side, with Lang there, the
                          latter who may be taken out for Moss and/or Dumervil in passing situations? Thomas,
                          however . . . as I previously mentioned . . . has nobody of special quality in front of
                          him, or it would seem.

I don't know if I know what I'm talking about . . . just expressing what it seems to me.

-----

Comment

That's true. Crowder is definitely quality and probably has more talent than any DE
                            we have, except for the incoming Moss, of course . . . but Moss is a different kind of
                            DE. Crowder seems a natural for the left side. Only thing is, we have an okay DE
                            there Ekuban, it would seem, so Crowder may play depth for a while as he learns the
                            position on the pro level. Same for Moss with the right side, with Lang there, the
                            latter who may be taken out for Moss and/or Dumervil in passing situations? Thomas,
                            however . . . as I previously mentioned . . . has nobody of special quality in front of
                            him, or it would seem.

I don't know if I know what I'm talking about . . . just expressing what it seems to me.

-----
                            From what have heard about Moss and looking at his measurables he reminds me of Charles Haley. Obviously I don't know if he'll be as good as Charles was but one can hope that he will be.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

him, or it would seem.

-----
                              Ekuban is in his final year and probably won't be renewed next year, thus the need for a replacement to groom to take his place next year. That should be Crowder. Bates is clearly thining out the Browncos and good riddance! It should have happened last year, but better late than never! :wave:

Next season we could have LDE Tim Crowder, LT Marcus Thomas, RT Gerrard Warren, LDE Moss & Dumervil. That should be a good lineup!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X