Moss' take on Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cugel
    Ekuban is in his final year and probably won't be renewed next year, thus the need for a replacement to groom to take his place next year. That should be Crowder. Bates is clearly thining out the Browncos and good riddance! It should have happened last year, but better late than never! :wave:

Next season we could have LDE Tim Crowder, LT Marcus Thomas, RT Gerrard Warren, LDE Moss & Dumervil. That should be a good lineup!

Ekuban is pretty good. He's not gonna give up his job to some rook easy. Crowder will have to compete hard to win it. Even then, I would keep Ekuban around for depth. He is a solid player. Don't pigeonhole the "Browncos" as busts just because they didn't produce 10+ sacks a year each.

Comment

Originally posted by Navin Johnson_
      Ekuban is pretty good. He's not gonna give up his job to some rook easy. Crowder will have to compete hard to win it. Even then, I would keep Ekuban around for depth. He is a solid player. Don't pigeonhole the "Browncos" as busts just because they didn't produce 10+ sacks a year each.
      Absolute truth. I don't know why there is so much disparaging of the Browncos. Take
      a look at them. Ekuban, Warren, and Lang have all turned out to be pretty decent
      players. Courtney Brown could have been very good, had he not had the rotten luck
      with injuries. The only one to go down the road is Myers, who was a throw-in for the
      Ekuban deal, anyway.

In truth, we stole the Browncos, and they are still helping us.

Moss, Thomas, and Crowder are really going to lift the talent level on the DL, but that
      is a tribute to them more than a disparagement to who was already there. I look for
      all of the Browncos to stick around for depth if they want to.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
        Absolute truth. I don't know why there is so much disparaging of the Browncos. Take
        a look at them. Ekuban, Warren, and Lang have all turned out to be pretty decent
        players. Courtney Brown could have been very good, had he not had the rotten luck
        with injuries. The only one to go down the road is Myers, who was a throw-in for the
        Ekuban deal, anyway.

Moss, Thomas, and Crowder are really going to lift the talent level on the DL, but that
        is a tribute to them more than a disparagement to who was already there. I look for

-----
        I agree.
        When CBrown and co were all playing together, they were STOUT against the run. When he went down again last year, you could see he was sorely missed.
        I'm glad Shanny pulled the strings on bringing them in. Each has played an integral part in building up the Dline....and everybody on the board, at one time or another, remarked that they'd be happy with 1 or 2 of them sticking.

But fickle fans abound here, so what does one really expect?
        "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
        tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
          Ekuban deal, anyway.

-----

I can only speak for myself. Personally I made the Browncos my whipping boys because of my frustration over the lack of attention Shanahan gave to the d-line.

Not that they are terrible and not because they shouldn't even make the team. When the trades/signings of them happened I was still hoping for the Broncos to do something in the draft.

I think both Ekuban and Lang will be ideal this year or next when/if Moss and Crowder are starting and they are playing in waves!

And yes! I am quite fickle!
          Last edited by stnzed; 05-13-2007, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I think Thomas might make the biggest impact on a more regular basis but I think Moss may have the most upside. I had the feeling Moss was just beginning to scratch the surface of what he can do last year. But Moss was also right in that when Thomas was in the lineup he stood out like a sore thumb, especially against some of the better SEC teams. I especially liked how Thomas seemed to come up big at the best times in the biggest games...like he could dial it up.

Comment

Next season we could have LDE Tim Crowder, LT Marcus Thomas, RT Gerrard Warren, LDE Moss & Dumervil. That should be a good lineup!
              I assuming you meant Moss and Dumervil at RDE, at any rate I agree that this potentially could be a nice defensive end rotation.
              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I think all three - Thomas, Moss and Crowder - will contribute significantly this year. Part of this is just a lack of true talent and youth on the D-line, but I think each of these players also has the potential to be something special.

I see it taking some time though for them to be full time starters (think it will be Ekuban, Warren, Thomas/McKinley, Lang). Bates' system is different than the one they played in college. I see this especially affecting Thomas as he was mostly a 1 gap DT and in Bates' scheme he asks his DT's to do a lot of 2 gap. It remains to be seen if Thomas can either make this transition to be a plug in the middle, or if Bates can adjust things to continue to allow Thomas the penetration while having Warren tie up blockers.

Moss should contribute immediately as an outside speed rusher, especially since this fits right into Bates' plans for him and in this role it is mostly just hauling off and going after the QB so there's not a lot for a rookie to adjust to (other than the techniques of the tackles and the speed of the game). Moss will be a mainstay on 3rd down opposite Dumervil (I can see a 3rd down linup of Dumervil, CROWDER/McKinley, Thomas and Moss possibly).

Crowder probably has the more complete game than Moss, but I see it being harder for him to bust into the lineup other than as rotational depth (unless he shifts to DT in pass rush situations). This is mostly because we have a veteran who can play this type of game (Ekuban), and Crowder's game is more standing up blockers at the point of attack and reading which takes time to learn in the NFL.

Overall though, I agree with everyone here, our D-line is MUCH improved over last year, and I think it has the makings of a stellar lineup in the future. With the addition of these guys, Bly and if our safety's come back healthy, DJ has a smooth transition to MLB, and Holdman/Lewis/Webster steps up at OLB we might have a very dominant D (a lot of if's here).
                To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

Ekuban is in his final year and probably won't be renewed next year, thus the need for a replacement to groom to take his place next year. That should be Crowder. Bates is clearly thining out the Browncos and good riddance! It should have happened last year, but better late than never! :wave:

Since EE played the RDE position most of last year and was our best Dlineman, I think he will get renewed and Moss doesn't break into a starter until year 3. Ekuban is only going to be 31 this year, I see no reason not to sign him up for two more years given how much we rotate DE. Crowder, Elvis, EE and Moss give us a solid 4 guys. You need 4 guys to put on a constant passrush.

Everyone still hates on the Browncos, but EE and Warren have turned out to be solid additions IMO. Hopefully both stay healthy and the infusion of youth helps to complement them...not replace them.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                  J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                  R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007
                    Since EE played the RDE position most of last year and was our best Dlineman, I think he will get renewed and Moss doesn't break into a starter until year 3. Ekuban is only going to be 31 this year, I see no reason not to sign him up for two more years given how much we rotate DE. Crowder, Elvis, EE and Moss give us a solid 4 guys. You need 4 guys to put on a constant passrush.

Everyone still hates on the Browncos, but EE and Warren have turned out to be solid additions IMO. Hopefully both stay healthy and the infusion of youth helps to complement them...not replace them.

I would also say that Brown when healthy was a solid player as well.
                    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                    X