• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutler primed to fill hero shortage

Cutler primed to fill hero shortage

By Mark Kiszla Denver Post Staff Columnist
    Article Last Updated: 05/13/2007 01:51:57 AM MDT

Please remember where you heard it first.

Jay Cutler will be a Pro Bowl quarterback in 2007.

While Nuggets star and new father Carmelo Anthony has decided nothing says "Happy Mother's Day" quite like plunking down $12 million on a mansion for a family of three, Cutler is about to own the city of Denver.

And not a minute too soon.

Mr. Cutler, we have a problem.

If you have not noticed, we need a new sports hero in Denver, where the Avalanche's long hockey dominance has finally melted, what the Nuggets do best is listen to George Karl whine and the Rockies are quickly becoming franchise owner Charlie Monfort's private joke.

The Broncos need to bring back the mania to what once was the No. 1 sports town in America.

If Cutler cannot do it, nobody can.

Here's looking at you, kid.

Is it fair to ask a 24-year-old quarterback with a grand total of five NFL starts to rescue the bruised psyche of a sports-crazy city?

No.

Nevertheless, if Broncos coach Mike Shanahan is willing to put so much pressure on the shoulders of Cutler, then it must be OK for fans to do the same.

Much has been made of the extreme makeover Shanahan gave his football roster in recent months, but if you think running back Travis Henry is going to carry the team back to Super Bowl glory, then you've been smoking the same stuff as some of those Broncos draft picks.

It's perfectly legal, however, to be high on Cutler.

If the AFC West is about to be known as the best address for emerging pro quarterbacks, then I'm betting that Cutler, rather than San Diego young gun Philip Rivers or Oakland rookie JaMarcus Russell, will be the toughest kid on the block.

Doubt me at your own peril.

Twelve months ago, I'm the guy who told you Cutler would start a game as a rookie quarterback for a team with championship aspirations.

Die-hard supporters of Jake Plummer and every Honda Element owner in Colorado laughed at me.

Whatever happened to the old hippy-dippy quarterback anyway?

The one mistake Shanahan made with Cutler last season was not turning over the starting job to him weeks earlier, in time for the rookie to absorb the inevitable hard knocks, then lead a late playoff drive.

Out of respect for veterans, guys like Rod Smith who were looking to make one final championship push, Shanahan was reluctant to make it Cutler's team too quickly. Heck, I cannot blame the coach. I'm constantly scared center Tom Nalen will bite my head off, too.

Everything Shanahan has done lately, however, screams the Broncos will go as far this season as Cutler can take them. The additions included a clock-chewing back, a blocking tight end and new pass-rushers to get Denver's defense off the field. All handy for a young quarterback to have.

Is Cutler up to the task?

Absolutely.

Broncomaniacs have been waiting for the next John Elway.

Will the next Troy Aikman suffice?

That's how great Cutler can be.

On the current roll call of superstars in Denver, here's how they rank.

1. Joe Sakic: He's still super after all these years. But, at age 37, even Sakic knows his status as king of Colorado sports is year to year.

2. Anthony: Lost in the disintegration of the Nuggets' playoff upset dream was the fact Melo gave a performance worthy of a franchise player.

3. Champ Bailey: He's the most talented defender in the NFL. Period. But regardless of how many interceptions Bailey nabs, it's hard for a cornerback to steal a city's heart.

4. Allen Iverson: Anybody still think he's a bad guy?

5. Todd Helton: We know him, we love him, we hope he hits .400 ... for the Boston Red Sox, or some other ballclub willing to rescue him from the blunder on Blake Street.

It's barely more than 100 days away. The Broncos open the season Sept. 9.

Mark your calendars and synchronize your watches for the date when Cutler begins his climb to the top of the city's sports heap.

Staff writer Mark Kiszla can be reached at 303-954-1053 or [email protected].
    sigpic

Just read it as was going to post it.

Comment

cutler could be a pro bowl qb in 07

he just needs rivers brady or palmer (two of those 3 to slip up)
      sigpic

Comment

Kiszla's being positive?

Cue Armageddon.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey
          cutler could be a pro bowl qb in 07

he just needs rivers brady or palmer (two of those 3 to slip up)
          Manning in and Rivers odd man out. Maybe. j/k

Comment

Great article, interesting ideas.

I agree with many of the things posted in this. Clearly Cutler has everything going for him to have a great second year campaign. He has a talented team surrounding him, which has been made stronger through FA and the draft filling some major holes that plagued the team last year. He has devoted himself to improving during the offseason and is working hard to be as good as he can be. He has tons of talent and potential and has already demonstrated on and off the field presence that is crucial in forming a leadership position for this team and its fans. He even went so far as to take his OL to Costa Rica to build some chemistry there. Who wouldn't love Jay Cutler right now who is a Broncos Fan? Given all of this, I even hesitate to point out that the proof is in the pudding (we'll see how all this pays off in September). I would also like to point out something that many other posters have mentioned, there is a major question mark in our offensive line. While Jay is good, no QB can be great without blocking. It remains to be seen how he responds both to the pressure from the defenses and from the harshest critics - the loyal orange and blue who fill the seats each Sunday. But I agree, he COULD be great.

However, I think the article is a little optimistic in terms of his overall impact in the NFL (at least in terms of recognition). It typically takes one break-out season in order to start getting pro bowl type recognition (and then usually gets voted in the following year). Add to this that the Broncos don't get any respect from around the league and I think we'll be waiting awhile to see Jay's mug on an NFL poster.

Exciting article nonetheless and I can't wait to see how he does this year!!!
            To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
              Manning in and Rivers odd man out. Maybe. j/k
              manning's the lock of the qbs

brady palmer rivers and cutler will be the ones battling for the other 2 spots
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by evendelae
                Kiszla's being positive?

Cue Armageddon.

Satan must be ice-skating in hell!

Comment

This makes me so happy. I believe it. Cutler has all the tools for domination next year.

Comment

Rats . . .

I wish Kisla had not taken that viewpoint.

Now, my confidence in Cutler has slipped a notch.

-----

Comment

ha....

Called it!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...6&postcount=19
                      sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                      Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                        Might that depend on what happens to the respective QBs? I mean, if he quarterbacks
                        the Broncos deep into the playoffs and one of the others doesn't, that might do it.
                        Especially if the Broncos manage to beat their teams on the way?

-----
                        If the pro-bowl voting didn't end several weeks before the post-season began, that might have a factor.

One of the other QBs has to implode or get injured for Cutler to wear the red and white pro-bowl uniform.

No knock on Cutler, but Manning, Palmer and Brady are simply already more proven QBs in far better situations in terms of O-line, running game and wide receiver targets.
                        sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                        Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

I really think Cutler will be a pro bowl calibre player, but I don't know if that means he will get in because there are so many other QB's that will play just as well as Cutler yet they get more attention.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                            Might that depend on what happens to the respective QBs? I mean, if he quarterbacks
                            the Broncos deep into the playoffs and one of the others doesn't, that might do it.
                            Especially if the Broncos manage to beat their teams on the way?

-----
                            pro bowl voting is done well before the playoffs.

i only count the voted ones as actual pro bowlers, because non pro bowlers are always getting ivited when people bow out.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey
                              pro bowl voting is done well before the playoffs.

i only count the voted ones as actual pro bowlers, because non pro bowlers are always getting ivited when people bow out.

.............................like Vince Young

_
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X