Safety and WR. A Couple Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety and WR. A Couple Questions.

Ok now I'm a little confused as to why we've had Lynch as a FS while Ferguson is a SS over the past few years. I had the notion that SS is more of an in-the-box safety while FS is more of the cover safety. Maybe we reversed the roles a little bit, but still Lynch has been an SS almost his whole career. Also IMO John is better suited for the SS position as he's starting to lose his agility and quickness which is why he's usually getting beat deep cause he just can't keep up with fast recievers nemor. So I say we switch Lynch back to SS putting Ferguson or whoever is the other starter by the end of mini-camp at FS. Ne1 see where I'm coming from here? if not please explain the logic behind this. My other issue is I am absolutely dumbfounded why some ppl think WR is a need. Have ne of you seen our roster l8ly? we have lik 10 recievers ready to compete in mini-camp. We only need solid recievers at the #1 and #2 spots at least, preferably #3 also. We have that in Walker, Stokley, and Marshall (preferably Rod at 2 or 3 if hes healthy). Now I respect all your opinions so don't come on and try to be disrespectful to mine. Alright fellow Bronco fans go ahead and tell me what you think. CP's to ne1 who can change my mind on the reciever issue or answer the Safety question I had.
    Rest in peace Darrent Williams and Damien Nash. I will never let your memories die. You will never be forgotten.

John Lynch is one of the best safeties in the NFL so don't even say he needs to be replaced. He hasn't been to eight Pro Bowls cause he isn't very good. So for those of you who doubt him, stay out of CO...

SUPPORT THE TROOPS. They are risking their lives to protect our way of life and the freedoms we take for granted.

Bates is the master of defense so if switching makes the defense better Im sure Bates will fix it.

As for your point about WRs i dont agree with you ,we only have really one proven WR Javon Walker.So I say load up at that postion and have an open camp with competion,and will the best man win.Those other receivers we have are injured or sub par receivers.So adding a WR would not hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy
      Bates is the master of defense so if switching makes the defense better Im sure Bates will fix it.

As for your point about WRs i dont agree with you ,we only have really one proven WR Javon Walker.So I say load up at that postion and have an open camp with competion,and will the best man win.Those other receivers we have are injured or sub par receivers.So adding a WR would not hurt.
      I can respect but IMO I think the other WR's did prove themselves this year and I just hope they can do it again. As for Rod I hope you're not suggesting he is unproven because as long as his recovery goes well he will be a solid starter as he has now for many years. I don't have nethin against healthy competition though so with this many recievers it should be a good training camp.
      Last edited by SS #38; 05-13-2007, 08:13 PM.
      Rest in peace Darrent Williams and Damien Nash. I will never let your memories die. You will never be forgotten.

John Lynch is one of the best safeties in the NFL so don't even say he needs to be replaced. He hasn't been to eight Pro Bowls cause he isn't very good. So for those of you who doubt him, stay out of CO...

SUPPORT THE TROOPS. They are risking their lives to protect our way of life and the freedoms we take for granted.

Comment

Yes theh safety position has be backassward for years

FS means to most teams FREE safety that roams the backfield looking for TE and other WR that go deep like a centerfielder.

Now that is not to say that John can't play the postion, so he has lost a step, he uses his smarts to be in the correct place to make the plays.

Would I like an Ed Reed back there sure but that would mean mikey would have to actually draft someone other than CB, WR or LB in the first round. Not much chance of that happening.

Comment

Well, if you've ever read shanny's rantings on this subject, which has been playing itself for years, it's that as long as there are 2 safety playing, there IS NO SS or FS. They're both starting safety's.

Take out of that what you will.

What I do, is watch the game, and see where Lynch is playing. Up in the box suggests to me that he's the Strong Safety....regardless of what the roster reports.
          "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
          tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
          men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

What i question is can Lynch keep up with the young guns running routes. Last year I saw him get many a times and I saw him destroy guys when he tackled them. He is not as fast as he used to be but the man knows the game and gives 110% every down. Is that enough reason to keep him? Until we have better then Lyynch will be on the field until he retires. I have always been a Lynch fan and am happy he is on our team. Hopefully he'll get an interception or 2 this year...

As far as wide recievers and I will catch flack for this but...
            Smith is done, that simple. He has given super years to Denver and he will always be a fav of mine. Last year he showed that time had caught up to him and the tackles had taken there toll on him. Happens to every player. This is a business and the younger, faster guns have to step up and make Smith a 3rd or 4th reciever. I think if we use him as a 3rd down reciever it might prolong his stay. I am sure people are ready to string me up over this one but its just how I feel about it. Now if he comes out and earns that 2nd spot then good for him! But dont hold your breath...
            Last edited by Deltagbear; 05-14-2007, 01:51 AM.
            If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. --General George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
              Well, if you've ever read shanny's rantings on this subject, which has been playing itself for years, it's that as long as there are 2 safety playing, there IS NO SS or FS. They're both starting safety's.

Take out of that what you will.

What I do, is watch the game, and see where Lynch is playing. Up in the box suggests to me that he's the Strong Safety....regardless of what the roster reports.

That is something I must have skipped over.

That would make sense about the Starting safety's instead of FS and SS...

Because generally, you wouldn't see a FS in the box as much as you see Lynch there.

CP's coming your way.

And to the poster below you--

I think Lynch AND Ferguson are mentoring Curome Cox and Hamza Abdullah, not to mention Sam Brandon.

I liked what I saw from Cox and Brandon.. we have yet to see a lot from Abdullah besides ST.
              sigpic

Comment

If Bates was the master of defense he would have already had a job before this season.
                "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                  If Bates was the master of defense he would have already had a job before this season.

So Cowher isn't a very good coach either since he doesn't have a job this season right?
                  Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                  Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                  Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                    You've come up with some screwy statements before, and this is right up there with the best (worst?) of them.

That's like saying "if Julie Andrews was so good, then she shouldn't have been available for The Sound Of Music".

Is kclady the ONLY chef fan that thinks before typing?
                    men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JoRo
                      So Cowher isn't a very good coach either since he doesn't have a job this season right?
                      riiiiiiiight........
                      men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
                        Yes theh safety position has be backassward for years

FS means to most teams FREE safety that roams the backfield looking for TE and other WR that go deep like a centerfielder.

Now that is not to say that John can't play the postion, so he has lost a step, he uses his smarts to be in the correct place to make the plays.

Would I like an Ed Reed back there sure but that would mean mikey would have to actually draft someone other than CB, WR or LB in the first round. Not much chance of that happening.
                        Yeah JR I do wish we had a ED Reed in our secondary.Brandan is a ball hawking safety that shuts down WRs,but he is not a complete Safety like Reed.Reed is just one of a kind,like the great Steve Atwater was.

Comment

Yeah JR I do wish we had a ED Reed in our secondary.Brandan is a ball hawking safety that shuts down WRs,but he is not a complete Safety like Reed.Reed is just one of a kind,like the great Steve Atwater was.
                          Barring injury, Brandon should come back better than ever. He was fantastic last year until the injury, and was better than Ferguson. Just my opinion but Brandon had taken the position from Ferguson until he got injured.
                          I remember alot of people felt the same way and were bummed out that he got injured in such a freak way.
                          After Brandon went down it seems like the whole defense started to fall apart as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Deltagbear
                            As far as wide recievers and I will catch flack for this but...
                            Smith is done, that simple. He has given super years to Denver and he will always be a fav of mine. Last year he showed that time had caught up to him and the tackles had taken there toll on him. Happens to every player. This is a business and the younger, faster guns have to step up and make Smith a 3rd or 4th reciever. I think if we use him as a 3rd down reciever it might prolong his stay. I am sure people are ready to string me up over this one but its just how I feel about it. Now if he comes out and earns that 2nd spot then good for him! But dont hold your breath...
                            I think the reason that some people believe that WR is a need is because some people believe they know more than they actually do.

I admit Rod declined last year, was it time or his hip injury, we can't tell that from watching games. Shanahan doesn't even know that right now. It will only be decided when he is done with rehab and gets into camp.

Stokley's condition is in the same boat.

Marshall, people talk about how you can't make a decision based on his 20 catches last year, and you can't. But Shanahan isn't he's got a ton of other info to work with that we don't. Like how practices went, and how much he is working out with Cutler in the off-season. We don't know all there is to know about Marshall and we have to be willing to admit that.

At this point the volume of WR certainly seems to be sufficient going into mini-camps and training camp. We won't really know if the quality is sufficient, or insufficient for a while.

Comment

i believe John was switched when he first arrived here because we didn't have either safety position filled and regaurdless of which safety he played it was an upgrade. I personally don't think there should be a difference between the two safties anyway. If john needs to come down in the box on a specific play then he in turn will be the strong saftey, leaving whom ever is going to start come opening day do roam the middle and be considered "free" I think the only reason we consider John Lynch our "free" safety is because he is so knowledgable at the saftey position that it is easier to keep him in the back to orcastrate the defense. But like I said, really both of our safties play both saftey positions. I mean the position on the field doesn't classify the position of the player. It is the responsiblity of the player that classifies the position played. ex. just because john lynch stands in the middle of the field doesn't make him a free saftey because when he comes down in the box and Ferguson (or who ever will play there) stay out in the middle of the field he is still considered our "free" saftey but he is now acting like a strong saftey. All in all I think the problem is that we have Lynch, Ferguson, Brandon and Cox who all like to come up in the box and hit people. Let's face it none of them are great at defending a pass. So i think when someone says we need a free saftey it not a shot at Lynch its just that we need a true cover first, hit second type guy. john still has a few years left in the tank so if we can find someone who can let John play the role he has played his whole career which is a hard hitting, blitz friendly, covering the flats and short middle (he used to be able to cover the whole field but age is a factor) then we can find someone to complament him. We have young talent in Abdullah, Brandon and Cox. If one of them pan out we are in good shape. Now only time will tell.

As for the wide reciever position I believe that we are set. Walker will be the #1 guy. Then Marshall, Smith and Stokely will bring in the middle. While Morgan, Kircus, Hixon, Clark and Terrell will battle for the last couple spots to be a legit contributor. Morgan, Terrell and Kircus are veterans how can contribute in the short yardage and in the middle of the feild. Hixon and Clark are second year players that should get better considering their college careers. Rod Smith and Brandon Stokley as we all know can be great assets to ouor team if healthy. marshall is a huge player with great potential hopefully that potential is released upon 16 different teams this year. last but not least Javon Walker. This guy needs no intro. he has speed, routes and unbelievable hands. So in conclusion Walker, Marshall, Smith, Stokley and Kircus will be a pretty good starting 5. Then to add Graham and Schefflier in the pass threat, not to mention Henry, Bell and now Selvin Young (I think this guy will eventually overtake Bell) out of the backfield catching passes. I think Jay has got all the weapons to succeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X