Safety and WR. A Couple Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BroncoMan04

As for the wide reciever position I believe that we are set. Walker will be the #1 guy. Then Marshall, Smith and Stokely will bring in the middle. While Morgan, Kircus, Hixon, Clark and Terrell will battle for the last couple spots to be a legit contributor. Morgan, Terrell and Kircus are veterans how can contribute in the short yardage and in the middle of the feild. Hixon and Clark are second year players that should get better considering their college careers. Rod Smith and Brandon Stokley as we all know can be great assets to ouor team if healthy. marshall is a huge player with great potential hopefully that potential is released upon 16 different teams this year. last but not least Javon Walker. This guy needs no intro. he has speed, routes and unbelievable hands. So in conclusion Walker, Marshall, Smith, Stokley and Kircus will be a pretty good starting 5. Then to add Graham and Schefflier in the pass threat, not to mention Henry, Bell and now Selvin Young (I think this guy will eventually overtake Bell) out of the backfield catching passes. I think Jay has got all the weapons to succeed.
    i agree, we have plenty of weapons for jay cutler to use. besides, we dont really have very many 4 or 5 WR sets, or even 3 for that matter. we got Walker as a legit #1, and whoever will be #2 will have earned it, and for the most part thats really all we need, since we run the ball more often than most teams in the league, and with travis henry in the backfield, the amount of runs will prly increase.

Comment

I know we don't have any sets like that I was just emphasizing the fact that we have plenty of legit recievers, tightends, and running backs to catch passes from Jay. So why everyone is saying we need more I don't know. One the same topic I heard we were going to get into a little more of a spread offense this year, is there any truth to this or what?

Comment

I know we don't have any sets like that I was just emphasizing the fact that we have plenty of legit recievers, tightends, and running backs to catch passes from Jay. So why everyone is saying we need more I don't know. One the same topic I heard we were going to get into a little more of a spread offense this year, is there any truth to this or what?
        i didnt mean that u said we had those sets, i was just bringing that point up. and i havent heard anything about us using more spread offense, but that could be true, because we now actually have a legit throwing offense. opening things up for cutler could be a good idea, but i still say that running the ball should be first and foremost for our offense to truly be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
          Would I like an Ed Reed back there sure but that would mean mikey would have to actually draft someone other than CB, WR or LB in the first round. Not much chance of that happening.
          Just like all the CB's, WR's and LB's he drafted this year!

Comment

Originally posted by JoRo
            So Cowher isn't a very good coach either since he doesn't have a job this season right?

Once again,

JoRo comes through with a powerfully owned statement.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict
              Just like all the CB's, WR's and LB's he drafted this year!

There is always first for everything is there not lets see if he reverts to form next year.

I'd say that Bates had a profond effect on this years draft, we he have next year.

Mikey has shown NO tendeicies to spend a #1 on A safety he has wasted a couple of 2-3's however.

Had he not traded all of the picks away I'd bet we would have seen a WR or LB on the list.

Comment

There is always first for everything is there not lets see if he reverts to form next year.

I'd say that Bates had a profond effect on this years draft, we he have next year.

Mikey has shown NO tendeicies to spend a #1 on A safety he has wasted a couple of 2-3's however.

Had he not traded all of the picks away I'd bet we would have seen a WR or LB on the list.

Am I allowed to bring up the following draft numbers by position over the last three years, or am I too much of a noob for it to count?

CB 3
                WR 2
                LB 0
                QB 1
                DE 3
                DT 1
                S 0
                O-line 4
                RB 1
                P 1
                TE 1

Yep, all those WRs and LBs...but I'm sure each of those drafts was HEAVILY influenced by someone else, right?

[Note: No one would argue that Shanahan has had some HORRIBLE drafts...but at least things are LOOKING better, right? Better than nothing...]
                "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

Just curious as to who you feel was the last draft bust Shanny picked?

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                  J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                  R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

i believe John was switched when he first arrived here because we didn't have either safety position filled and regaurdless of which safety he played it was an upgrade. I personally don't think there should be a difference between the two safties anyway. If john needs to come down in the box on a specific play then he in turn will be the strong saftey, leaving whom ever is going to start come opening day do roam the middle and be considered "free" I think the only reason we consider John Lynch our "free" safety is because he is so knowledgable at the saftey position that it is easier to keep him in the back to orcastrate the defense. But like I said, really both of our safties play both saftey positions. I mean the position on the field doesn't classify the position of the player. It is the responsiblity of the player that classifies the position played. ex. just because john lynch stands in the middle of the field doesn't make him a free saftey because when he comes down in the box and Ferguson (or who ever will play there) stay out in the middle of the field he is still considered our "free" saftey but he is now acting like a strong saftey. All in all I think the problem is that we have Lynch, Ferguson, Brandon and Cox who all like to come up in the box and hit people. Let's face it none of them are great at defending a pass. So i think when someone says we need a free saftey it not a shot at Lynch its just that we need a true cover first, hit second type guy. john still has a few years left in the tank so if we can find someone who can let John play the role he has played his whole career which is a hard hitting, blitz friendly, covering the flats and short middle (he used to be able to cover the whole field but age is a factor) then we can find someone to complament him. We have young talent in Abdullah, Brandon and Cox. If one of them pan out we are in good shape. Now only time will tell.

As for the wide reciever position I believe that we are set. Walker will be the #1 guy. Then Marshall, Smith and Stokely will bring in the middle. While Morgan, Kircus, Hixon, Clark and Terrell will battle for the last couple spots to be a legit contributor. Morgan, Terrell and Kircus are veterans how can contribute in the short yardage and in the middle of the feild. Hixon and Clark are second year players that should get better considering their college careers. Rod Smith and Brandon Stokley as we all know can be great assets to ouor team if healthy. marshall is a huge player with great potential hopefully that potential is released upon 16 different teams this year. last but not least Javon Walker. This guy needs no intro. he has speed, routes and unbelievable hands. So in conclusion Walker, Marshall, Smith, Stokley and Kircus will be a pretty good starting 5. Then to add Graham and Schefflier in the pass threat, not to mention Henry, Bell and now Selvin Young (I think this guy will eventually overtake Bell) out of the backfield catching passes. I think Jay has got all the weapons to succeed.

That and because it says he is the FS on madden
                    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Well this is my take on the roles of the 2 safeties. I believe FS is supposed to be more of a cover safety to help out the #2 CB in covering his guy if needed as well as covering the middle and deep when needed. SS is usually the in-the-box and blitz safety who has some responsibility over the middle and to help the #1 CB if he gets beat (which with Champ Bailey that is nearly impossible). I have also seen Lynch play in-the-box and he is still effective but it just makes more sense to me to move him over to his former position so he won't have to help out CB's as much since he'd be over by Bailey. But since Bly is here now that might not be a problem neway. Any objections or points to make?
                      Rest in peace Darrent Williams and Damien Nash. I will never let your memories die. You will never be forgotten.

John Lynch is one of the best safeties in the NFL so don't even say he needs to be replaced. He hasn't been to eight Pro Bowls cause he isn't very good. So for those of you who doubt him, stay out of CO...

SUPPORT THE TROOPS. They are risking their lives to protect our way of life and the freedoms we take for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                        If Bates was the master of defense he would have already had a job before this season.
                        He knew the Broncos job was opening up for him and he waited for the vacancy

Comment

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=6485

"I had seven offers (in 2005)," Bates told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel 12 months ago. "I won't jump on just any opportunity now. It will have to be the right place, the right situation and the right people involved."

Comment

Originally posted by columbiaskinny
                            Thanks Skinny CP Forthcoming :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                            X