Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much will the rookies really produce.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowderAddict
    replied
    They don't need to dominate, with Bailey and Bly, they just need to pressure the qb into some quick throws. I think they can contribute this year, and help the defense end some drives.

Sacks are nice, but pressure is just as important, and that's something the Broncos sorely lacked last year.

Leave a comment:

• Cutler2007
    replied
    The advantage that Thomas has is that he can make his living this year on nickle packages. If he can consistantly get inside pressure and stop QBs from being able to step up in the pocket, it will be great. I could care less about DT stats as they never tell a fraction of the story.

Leave a comment:

• CasualFan
    replied
    Originally posted by bleedbluorange
    Pat Kirwan has a article on nfl.com today on the defensive tackle position. He puts this whole thread into perspective. I dont know how to give a link but it's a great read. Point is if Thomas gets seven sacks he'll be one of the best first year tackles in the last few years. I think Crowder and moss can do exactly as you stated.
    Here's the link: Pat Kirwan: Rookie defensive tackles in for an education

Key thoughts:
    Keep this guideline with you before you start believing these young defensive tackles down in the trenches are headed towards being a bust -- start 30 percent of the games, be active for 75 percent of the games, be in on 19-20 tackles, grab one or two sacks, defend one pass and either force or recover one fumble. That's a solid rookie season at defensive tackle.
    One of the toughest positions on the field for a young player to master is defensive tackle. The speed of the game inside is like a blur for a rookie. The strength and size of the offensive linemen in the NFL is something just a rare few can adjust to when they first put their pads on. As one defensive line coach said to me this past week about first-day draft picks at defensive tackle, "Most of the rooks physically dominated their college opponents with little technique and they are in a world of trouble now."

The speed of the game is a whole other problem, especially with offensive lines that have worked together for years or are masters of the Alex Gibbs zone-blocking schemes. Rookie defensive tackles inevitably play too high to see the ball or the quarterback and it's easy pickings for the offensive linemen.
    Last edited by CasualFan; 05-14-2007, 11:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bleedbluorange
    replied
    Originally posted by SM19
    I'm guessing nine sacks from Moss, seven from Thomas, and five from Crowder.
    Pat Kirwan has a article on nfl.com today on the defensive tackle position. He puts this whole thread into perspective. I dont know how to give a link but it's a great read. Point is if Thomas gets seven sacks he'll be one of the best first year tackles in the last few years. I think Crowder and moss can do exactly as you stated.

Leave a comment:

• TU_HurricaneDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim
    Moss: 31 interceptions, 5 TD's, 29 FG's 50+yrds and 911 sacks.
    Thomas: 81 Receptions, 4 interceptions, 9 TD's, 822 tackles and 444 sacks.

Yeah, it's just as pointless.

Aren't those offensive stats????

Pointless until they get them yes... but at least keep it on defense.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Moss: 31 interceptions, 5 TD's, 29 FG's 50+yrds and 911 sacks.
    Thomas: 81 Receptions, 4 interceptions, 9 TD's, 822 tackles and 444 sacks.

Yeah, it's just as pointless.

Leave a comment:

• Jazzman1987
    replied
    Dumerville lead the team in sacks last year and he didn't even start. so if any of our linemen see more time than Elvis did last year i don't see why they can't combine for at least 16-18 sacks

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    I do not think DL is our biggest concern.

I see three rookies starting on the DL before the season is over.

What concerns me is will the LB pick up the run def since the DEs will be chasing the QB more? I think DJ will do great in the middle and Ian on the one outside spot but I am concerned who will pick up his slack at DJ's old Outside spot. If they do not do a good job that means one of our corners will be making that outside tackle and while our corners are great tacklers we do not want them taking on RBs allot or they will get hurt.

So much is depending on the one spot. Luckily the guy will only have to play 1st down, maybe 2nd and short yardage but he will have to perform because if he does not you know offenses will attack him.

Leave a comment:

• SeeingRed
    replied
    I'm not really expecting anything out of the ordinary. What I do hope for is unit cohesiveness. I hope our D-line can gel.

Leave a comment:

• omac
    replied
    Man, I'm so excited about these rookies on defense. I know they will be impact players sooner or later, as long as they work hard and learn Bates' system. I just hope they don't get burned too often early on, because they are rookies.

Leave a comment:

• Emancipator
    replied
    I don't have numbers.
    Others can only speculate if they do post numbers.

However, I believe it is realistic that the rookies can provide an immediate positive impact that will improve all defensive numbers.

Leave a comment:

• CHARLIEADAMSFAN
    replied
    i jist see thomas having a monster year im not so big on numbers but if they shy away from the middle a lil bit hes doing his job and i can see him doing that a litle bit this season

Leave a comment:

• TU_HurricaneDB
    replied
    Originally posted by bleedbluorange
    Just wondering what do ppl really expect out of the youngsters? I have read post after post about how Thomas, Crowder and Moss will add to the team this year. Personally, I'm just as enthusiastic as the next guy but I dont know what to expect. Will Moss and Crowder combine for at least 15 sacks? Will Thomas get on the field and get some tackles/sacks?

Guys help me out .......Give me some #'s

With the weakness at DT I expect to see Thomas starting by at least week 2 or 3 and during the season produce 3 sacks and around 30 tackles with 8 behind the LOS.

Crowder will become a full time starter by the middle of the season and produce something like 7 sacks and 10 tackles for loss, 40 tackles.

Moss will get 9 sacks in my mind, mainly because he will be able to play fewer plays allowing him to stay fresh and playing 16 games a season will allow him to get sacks. Elvis had 8.5 sacks so I see Moss getting at least nine because he has much more athleticism.

Crowder, Moss, and Thomas combined: approx 20 sacks, 26 tackles for loss, and 85 tackles.

My opinion anyway

Leave a comment:

• SBboundBRONCOS
    replied
    i think moss is going to be the least productive of the 3 first off

Moss - 3-5 sacks but does manage to put pressure consistently
    Crowder - im really hoping for 8-10 from him with about 20+ tackles and a fumble or two
    thomas- going for about 3 sacks but is strong against the run and next to warren can collapse the pocket in front of manning and others

Leave a comment:

• bleedbluorange
    started a topic How much will the rookies really produce.

How much will the rookies really produce.

Just wondering what do ppl really expect out of the youngsters? I have read post after post about how Thomas, Crowder and Moss will add to the team this year. Personally, I'm just as enthusiastic as the next guy but I dont know what to expect. Will Moss and Crowder combine for at least 15 sacks? Will Thomas get on the field and get some tackles/sacks?

Guys help me out .......Give me some #'s
Working...
X