Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Topic On NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB Owners (Please Vote)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Topic On NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB Owners (Please Vote)!

This is a real important topic I really wanted to get into and I wanted to know how you guys felt and thought about it. Anyway, here is the topic:

They should have a rule that should be enforced by the Commissioner of that Sport or the US Government that all NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB Owners must be obligated to make their Fans happy by spending the money to make sure their Franchise is competitive and respectable every year. If any Owner fails to meet up with that standard for a few years (5 years max), you are force by the Commissioner of that Sport or the US Government to sell the Franchise to an Owner who is dedicated in building a Winner of that Franchise.

Do you Agree or Disagree with this statement and why? Let me know what you guys think about the whole state of sports is in.
    Agree
    27.27%
    Disagree
    72.73%
    Last edited by Broncos28; 06-02-2004, 05:51 AM.

This is what I think. I really feel they should have this rule enforced for all the Sports that includes owning and running a Sports Franchise. Because it's not fair to the Fans, Players, Coaches and other People who are involved with that Franchise to always suffer year after year of mediocrity. Take for an example of the Arizona Cardinals or the Los Angeles Clippers. They are known for being the laughing stock of their each individual Sport. Their Owners never seem to make any real efforts to improving their respective Franchise. I'm a Fan of Parity in Sports. Some People aren't but I am. I'm a Fan of Parity in Sports because it makes that Sport more interesting to watch and to enjoy. That's what makes the National Football League so much better from all the other Major Sports because of Parity and the great competition is has year after year. You never know in the NFL who's going to be real good or real bad. The teams we think and say that should be good surprises us by having a bad year and vice versa. With that said the NFL could still get better than it currently is in today. That's why the NBA and MLB suffer and keep losing their Fan Base because they don't have Parity and great competition year after year. Fans of these Sports get sick and tired of watching the same teams (Los Angeles Lakers, New York Yankees) win year after year. Unless you are a Fan of those teams. I mean it's great to have Dynasties in Sports but not like this where the Sport isn't really all that competitive and only have to go through a few good teams to achieve that major goal of a Worlds Championship. In reality it tarnishes the achievement you have accomplished in my opinion. And I'm sure billions and billions of Fans World Wide feel the same way as well as the Athletes who play these Sports. I say they should get rid of these bad Owners who keep cheating the Fans as well as their respective Sport. DON'T CHEAT THE CONSUMER, THE DIE HARD FANATICS!

Comment

Maybe by the commissioner of that sport or by the league itself, but I don't think the Federal Government should have anything to do with it. Remember that this is a capitalist society and these pro sports teams are corporations. There's no laws saying that a corporation must be successful; it's a system of checks and balances within capitalism that requires them to be successful or pay the price. If the consumer isn't happy with the product then they're not going to buy - especially when there's alternatives. I'm all for parity; I'm just not big on the whole 'Department of Fan Contentment' thing.
      Winter is Coming!

Comment

I don't think that any owner should be obligated to do anything. They bought the franchise with their money and should be FREE to do whatever they want to with the team (within limits of course).

It is in their best interest to do all that they can to produce a good product. But only in the sense that it will generate revenue for themselves. I hate to say it, but it really isn't about the fans anymore. It is a business. Just as it is in the fans best interest to not buy products, tickets, merchandise if they aren't happy with the team.
        Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

I think that every league should have the salary cap. i think that's as "realisticly" close of having a rule by the commisioners or US Government.

even if that rule were to pass, what makes u belive that it will make teams better. Washington Redskins owner daliel snyder spends all he has year after year to make the team better, but look at how they end up.
          "HOW THEY GONNA TRY ME LIKE DAT?!"- Champ Bailey

Comment

I don't know if i believe in the salary cap. yea, it makes for more competition, but guess what, sports are business first, entertainment second. Let these people do what they want with their own money. If that means spending less to keep more profit, than that is their decision. If a team has much more revenue, why should they be restricted.
            People, it is the american way to keep hands off business! Let these people do what they want with their money.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by ozzy_osbourne
              I totally disagree with the statement as an owner of a professional team should be no different then a regular business owner. If as an owner your fans are unhappy with the product that is provided then, as a fan then you as a fan you don’t have any obligations to endorse or go watch the product.
              If you would like to make money as a businessperson then you would care about your product and the people who purchase your product with out the interference of any outside agency…
              Yes, your right, and that's the difference between a good owner and a bad owner.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

I totally disagree -

They OWN the team, thereby giving them free reign to do what they please - You OWN your car - would you want someone telling you what, where when and how to deal with it - If you owned a local hardware store - do you think you should be forced to sell it because some people arent happy with the way it looks or the products you carry -

Its like anything else in this country - if you dont like it, then you can chose not to shop/buy or be a part of whatever it is they have to offer

Not to mention I am sure none of these teams choose to be failures - alot of it, IMO, has to do with expansion and the thinning of talent it creates, not to mention the "ME" attitudes of the players these days.

NO ONE in this country should be forced to sell their business based on its popularity

And in no way shape or form should our government be involved in any type of decision like that - HELLO - this is America - one of our basic, founding principles is free enterprise - its bad enough they tax the hell out of everybody and everything - lets leave it at that!!!!!!!!

As far as one team dominating - Lakers DONT win it year after year - they are, at this point in time, a dominate franchise - there were plenty of years they didnt win squat - as with the Yankees - as I recall, very sadly I may add, we did not win it last year nor were they the last AL team to win the WS (as I am reminded on a regular basis - thanks to horsie ) And during the 80's they didnt win squat either - Don Mattingly never won a WS - he doesnt even have that many playoff games under his belt...

And as far as the NFL goes - they have had their fair share of dominating franchise - need I remind you of the 49'rs - Cowboys - Bills - Steelers - even the Patriots as of right now, they have won 2 of the last 3 SB's

I dont want to pick on you personally, but you have a tendency to have a very narrow minded way of looking at things - you see things one way and have a hard time seeing it from any other angle (you are the one who goes off about baseball not being a sport - right?) If not, then I am thinking of someone else and I apologize - and either way - its not meant to be mean - just giving you my $.02

Comment

Re: A Topic On NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB Owners (Please Vote)!

Originally posted by Broncos28
                  This is a real important topic I really wanted to get into and I wanted to know how you guys felt and thought about it. Anyway, here is the topic:

They should have a rule that should be enforced by the Commissioner of that Sport or the US Government that all NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB Owners must be obligated to make their Fans happy by spending the money to make sure their Franchise is competitive and respectable every year. If any Owner fails to meet up with that standard for a few years (5 years max), you are force by the Commissioner of that Sport or the US Government to sell the Franchise to an Owner who is dedicated in building a Winner of that Franchise.

Do you Agree or Disagree with this statement and why? Let me know what you guys think about the whole state of sports is in.
                  I totally disagree with the statement as an owner of a professional team should be no different then a regular business owner. If as an owner your fans are unhappy with the product that is provided, then you don’t have any obligations to endorse or go watch the product that is put forth…i.e. Expos…
                  If you would like to make money as a businessperson then you would care about your product and the people who purchase your product with out the interference of any outside agency…
                  Ozzy

The "New Black Sabbath"

Comment

Ozzy that was weird - your post was before mine now its after - even joisey quoted you above me

Anways - Agree is ahead of disagree but no one had posated their opinion on why they agree????

Someone wanna give their reasons for agreeing with the statement?

Comment

Hockey doesnt have a salary cap, and look who is in the finals. Im not going to get into full detail on the issues at hand with hockey or any other sport, but each league needs to do what it has to to keep fan bases solid and its franchises profitable.

Comment

salary caps are necessary in every sport...it makes conditions fair for ALL teams.
                        Go Broncos, Capitals, and Orioles

Thanks SNK16

Comment

Originally posted by orangenblue420
                          I dont want to pick on you personally, but you have a tendency to have a very narrow minded way of looking at things - you see things one way and have a hard time seeing it from any other angle (you are the one who goes off about baseball not being a sport - right?) If not, then I am thinking of someone else and I apologize - and either way - its not meant to be mean - just giving you my $.02
                          And I don't mean to pick on you or anything either. Yeah, I'm sure you have had a tendency to have a very narrow minded way of looking at other things too. Maybe it hasn't been on stuff on here that you have said but it's probably stuff you have done with maybe in past relationships with other People (such as Family, Friends) or a job with Coworkers and a bunch of other things. But then again I can't blame you, myself, or anybody else. We are not perfect. Everybody has been very narrow minded about other things before. Just 'cause I don't talk about the other side of things about a topic doesn't mean I don't see it. Do I always have to talk about the other side of things? NO! I say what I say about how I feel about it. If you agree or disagree that's your purgative. Not everybody thinks a like. Everybody is going to take what a Person says differently 'cause each Person is an individual. 'Cause they have a personality. Even though every Person is the same thing, us Humans created personalities so now each individuality is different. Each Person, not each Country, not each State, or each Race, EACH.. PERSON is different. Now when I brought up that thread about the whole Raider thing. It didn't mean I didn't know the other different Raider Fans who didn't act like what I had stated. I just didn't want to talk about them. I wanted to talk about what I wanted to talk about. Baseball, I see it for what it is to me IN MY OPINION. I don't like it unlike you do. Maybe the things you see in Baseball excites you but doesn't excite some others. Not that 'cause they don't understand it, it's 'cause People are different from you and sees it differently from how you feel about it. Hip-Hop, yeah you can talk about all these Rappers are doing something's good with their life like Nelly, Cash Money, No Limit, etc. But then I could see the other side of it that they (who I have mentioned) send a bad message to People when they put out a record. How they degrade Women, how they talk about doing crime, how money is the most important thing than any other thing in the World. But a lot of People don't see that. Now that makes them narrow minded for not recognizing the other side of it. For the People who hate Hip-Hop because they just see it ass it's all about degrading Women, doing crime, sending a negative message fail to see the other Rappers who talk about the positive things about life and etc. Now that makes them narrow minded because they fail to see the other side of things. See you acting like everything I say is wrong this and that. It's just that I chose to talk about some things that is a part of a topic but don't want to talk about every nuke and carny about it. It's not like I don't see the whole picture of that topic. And I'm sorry if the things I say come out narrow minded to you. But it's what I want to say, what you want to say, what everybody wants to say about something. People aren't stupid. Yeah, they maybe stupid in some things but that doesn't make them as a whole a stupid Person. They probably know more about something then you do and vice versa. If they want to talk about the bad things of something rather then talk about what is good, that doesn't mean they don't see the whole thing. It's just that is what they chose to do. They don't have to talk about the bad and the good. That what makes us different because we all don't think a like. So just 'cause I don't see Baseball the way you see it doesn't make me narrow minded. Maybe throwing a great fast ball is something great to you, but not to me as well as other People. I see it for it is. There is nothing good to me about Baseball because that is MY OPINION no your. Yeah, you can get some of the Kids off the streets from it. But I wasn't talking about that. Anyway, you know what I'm saying about the whole thing. Your different, I'm different, everybody is different, but just 'cause you see things differently from other People doesn't make that Person narrow minded. It's jus their own opinion. I never said anything about EVERYBODY thinks Baseball sucks and all that. I always say it that it sucks to ME because it's my own damn OPINION. Being narrow minded is failing to see the whole picture of different things. And to you I came off narrow minded because I didn't talk about the whole picture. So I'm sorry for that. But it was what I wanted to say about things and decided to not talk about the other side of it. But that's just me giving you my two cents.

Comment

And I didn't mean to really involve the Government in the whole thing. Maybe some People feel that way but I don't. It was just an option I just put out there for People to want to comment about the whole thing. That's why I said the word OR between "Commissioner of the Sport or the US Government."

Comment

but guess what, sports are business first, entertainment second. Let these people do what they want with their own money.

Wrong. Sports are entertainment FIRST. Its the entertainment that provides the MARKET for the sports teams at all. If it weren't for the Entertainment of the sport, there would be NO business. The salary cap is what has made football the NUMBER ONE sport in the United States. SOmeone mentioned Hockey and no salary cap, and look what is happening to that league, its about to FOLD.

Having ANY kind of restriction to MAKE a team be competitive is ludicrous. By WHO's standard is it 'competitive?' Who would EVER have the RIGHT to tell anyone they HAVE to sell their business or corporation? If they choose to hire mediocre employees, and still make a profit, more power to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X